Aonuma won’t quit Zelda till he’s beaten Ocarina

Wednesday, 26th November 2008 06:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

zeldaa.jpg

Speaking to Nintendo Power, Legend of Zelda director Eiji Aonuma has said that he’s sticking with the series until he can get it back to the quality of Ocarina of Time.

“I’m happy that a title I worked on some time ago remains highly praised to this day, but that also shows how none of the subsequent games in the series have surpassed it,” he said.

“As someone who is still working on the series, I have mixed feelings about that. Because I haven’t yet surpassed it, I can’t quit. Surprisingly, that simply motivation may be the reason I continue to work on the Zelda series.”

Take a break, Eiji. Have a cup of tea, or something.

From NintendoEverything, via GoNintendo.

1. JPickford

Majora’s mask already beat it.

I’d love a remake of that with a decent framerate. And a finished version of Windwaker.

2. Blerk

I think he needs to stop concentrating so much on the old games and actually take a good hard look at some modern RPGs instead. And then try to beat them.

3. Shatner

The heading of this article suggests he’s not finished playing Ocarina of Time.

Also: DRoD >>>>>> Zelda

4. JPickford

Blerk, you’re right. I’ve resisted western RPG’s till recently but Oblivion and Fallout 3 are just amazing. Nothing can touch Zelda for dungeon design and physical interaction with the world but the overall game structure and linearity is looking dated now.

What’s DRoD?

5. Michael O'Connor

Eiji has continuously taken the Zelda franchise in new and inventive directions, and in a time in the industry where Nintendo has all be abandoned traditional games, his games still remain a highlight of Nintendo’s capacity for quality.

The more the better, I say. <3

6. Blerk

Hmm.. I wouldn’t have called either of the two most recent Zeldas new or inventive.

They took a new graphical approach with Wind Waker which was great, then they chucked it away and replaced it with bland-o-vision for the sequel because people on the internet whined.

At their core, both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are really just re-runs of the older games.

7. Esha

“What’s DRoD?”

Deadly Rooms of Death, it’s a cult series … but only really to the people who know it even exists. I personally think it’s brilliant (in every meaning of the word). The latest DRoD and the DRoD RPG really stand out over the rest, though.

As for Zelda, the only Zelda I ever really enjoyed was Twilight Princess, and that was because of the Wolf bits. The canid mechanics were inventive, fresh, and interesting. Then when it forced me to play Link it all got very shit and standard, boring old bull. If it was all about Wolf Link, I could’ve really dug Twilight Princess, and heralded it as the greatest Zelda game ever. Oh well, I still have Okami.

As for this insane Aonuma bloke, he’s trying to compete with the nostalgia of angry internet men who’re stuck in the past. This is a battle you cannot win, Aonuma, you’re better off inventing a new and fresh IP that does something… you know, interesting.

8. JPickford

I think he just wants to make a better game. And good on him for that as well as admitting his failures.

9. Blerk

I think he does, yeah. And I’m glad that he does. I just wish he’d go about doing it the right way – he’s really not helping himself.

Edit: They should stop Miyamoto sticking his oar in, too. That’d be another good start.

10. Shatner

“What’s DRoD?”

I’m glad you asked!

DRoD stands for Deadly Rooms of Death. It’s a PC shareware game with a freely available demo that’ll keep you busy for days or possibly weeks.

In a nutshell it’s similar to the dungeon aspect of the 2D Zeldas without any pretence at plot.

Controls are simple and the game moves in turns (monsters only move after you’ve made a move). As such reactions aren’t a factor and the game is very fair.

Switches, pads, levers and other simple mechanics are mixed with, in my opinion, excellent ingenuity and the later rooms become increasingly taxing and clever.

It’s not the worlds prettiest game but it’s one of the finest games I’ve ever played in my life. It also has an brilliant community and support system.

It makes Zelda look like tired, unimaginative, derivative, rehashed drivel. Which, for the most part, it is.

I urge you to check the demo and play to some of the later levels to see just how fiendish some of the traps and design become. If you like those sort of games, DRoD is the best of its kind.

EDIT: Yes, Esha beat me to it whilst I was toying with MO’C but those who know DRoD and love it want to share it with the world.

I’m not surprised Esha’s heard of it. More and more I find Esha to be one of the few people who voice opinions on this site to know much about games outside of what the triple-A marketing dollars tell people to like.

Do try it JP, I’m sure you’ll like it.

Esha, we really must talk sometime.

11. Plissken

Well at least someone involved in Nintendo games cares more about marketing twords us (the gamers who directly and indirectly handed Nintendo HUNDREDS of dollars a piece in the 80′s and 90′s) as apposed to our mothers/neighborhood retirement homes.