GameTrailers video editor: “The 360 controller is a far superior gaming device than the Sony controller”

Saturday, 22nd November 2008 09:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gametrailerslogo.jpg

A GameTrailers.com video editor, “Dblock,” has put his nuts in the vice, as it were, and written on the site about how he feels Xbox 360′s control system is “far superior” to PS3′s. As you’d expect, the post has caused something of a “backlash”.

From the piece:

Look, I’m sick of all the kerfluffle about how GT is biased towards 360 and how GT favors 360 and how GT hates on PS3. That ends now! The fact remains that 360 has just released better content than PS3. Period. See what I did there? I put a period after Period. That means conclusion; the end of discussion. The reason why GT gives 360 games better scores in the reviews is because the games are simply better experiences. The main reason for this–and it is often an overlooked and underestimated one–is because the 360 controller is a far superior gaming device than the Sony controller.

He’s added a caveat at the bottom on the passage saying his views don’t reflect those of GameTrailers as a site. Full thing, including more than 400 angry comments, through the link.

1. Shatner

“I am a video editor not a writer/editorial staff”

selectivequotinglol

Did you check his Twitter feed though?

Hmm. According to his blog, this is his second post in 2 years and he’s ‘cut’ 4 videos for GT.

Let’s play hangman:

_ T T _ N T _ _ N

W _ _ _ _

“T” “W” “N”

2. morriss

No. He’s wrong. It’s either because he’s biased, ignorant, a typical “Xboxer”, MS has paid him loads of money to say it or he’s angling for something.

3. morriss

The first comment is hilarious! Especially the last bit:

“Don’t fucking give us this shit, you cockbag. I bet you were the cunt who cut that mysterious GRiD video and tried to make the PS3 look inferior.

Look, pal, I don’t really give a shit if you like your precious 360 more than the PS3. I mean, alot of people like Scientology. Some people just cannot be rescued.

I have all of the consoles and like them equally…

Yeah, right. Sounds like it.

4. gomersoul

nonsense, the only real difference is swapping the directional with the analogue, big whoop. its a bit late now. the console war never existed. they will all co-exist happily ever after, maybe he should think of other ways to bash the ps3, like how its internet browser sucks, or that home is a waste of time cos gamers hate each other

5. Shatner

Oh, this logical mis-step is cute also:

His blog entry has the (Selectively quoted) title of

“GT is NOT biased!”

But (presumably to save his job) he has to state

“the views expressed in this entry do not represent those of Gametrailers.com”

So, logically, we can deduce that GT is biased! It’s not like he used the term “do not necessarily represent” is it?

mcLOLandfries

6. Gekidami

So GameTrailers isnt baised, just its video editor… Hum… Ok…

7. Robo_1

mcLOLandfries

: D Yes!

He’s pretty much come out and said, we prefer the 360 pad, so 360 games will always have the edge. The 360 may have the better pad, but no way is it always the best. Mirror’s Edge is far more enjoyable on the DS3 IMO.

8. Gekidami

I like how he’s put:
    “The reason why GT gives 360 games better scores in the reviews is because the games are simply better experiences.”

Kinda goes against his disclaimer really, unless he’s the one who puts the scores on games…

9. Esha

“The truth can’t simply be one experience is better than the other in the context of an individual’s opinion. Impossible.”

It’s not really an opinion if it has no reason to back it up, if a person has an opinion, then they usually have a well-reasoned basis for that opinion. If they don’t, then it’s either nonsense that’s been drilled into them from years of bloody societal programming, or they have an agenda that they’re trying to push as an opinion.

He doesn’t have the luxury of being a nobody in this case, he’s using the recognition of GameTrailers to push his opinion and make it public. He’s achieved that and that’s all well and good, but if you’re going to make yourself that noticeable, then you have to be ready to back up your opinions.

This is something I learned years ago, and I had a good sorting through my noggin of any particular opinions I had, unless I can put a proper rationale to something, then I don’t consider it an opinion and I don’t see why anyone else does. I can say that the sky is green, and I can say that that’s my opinion. That makes me an idiot. I can say that the sky is green, and it’s my opinion it should be that way because that’s how I see it as a colourblind person. That’s a little better, at least.

What he’s doing is the former of those two examples.

If he believes that the 360 controller is better than the PS3 controller, then I’d like to see his rationale for that, I’d like to see something beyond the literal equivalent of “My Dad has a better job than your Dad.”, which is how that reads. I’m willing to accept an opinion, but I do like it to be a well-reasoned opinion, and it seems that he has no reasons for his opinions.

And that leads us to what conclusion? I’ll leave that up to the mind of the reader.

But if he’s going to say things like this, then in my opinion it only makes him look bad because he’s simply poo-pooing things without cause, I really would like him to come back with something well thought-out, or with a bulleted list of concerns at the very least, as to why the things he claims (under the banner of GT) are so true.

The XBox 360 controller is better than the PS3 one? Why? Frankly, I agree. I’ve been using the 360 controller to play arcadey PC games for a while now, so it’s not that I disagree with him. I’d just like to hear his reasons, and until I do I have no reason to believe that these are just “honest, unbiased opinions”. This is a jaded era, why should I be naive enough to believe anything like that? Why should anyone?

10. DrDamn

The after the whole Grid debacle did any heads roll? If not then they didn’t do themselves any favours – it was appalling.

11. absolutezero

Can’t wait for Street Fighter on the 360 hideously mushy piece of shit D-Pad.

BETTER EXPERIENCE.

FOR THE SHOOTAN.

12. Gamoc

I prefer the DS, personally, but that is probably down to the fact that I’ve only ever really used it (since the original PS1). Any experience with an Xbox was squashed into about 10 minutes or ‘omfg this is weird’ moments.

13. DaMan

this is just ludicrous.

did Greenberg give him head to write that?

14. wz

As a standalone statement, I fully agree that the 360 controller is superior to about any games controller I ever had. (The only contestant is the old SideWinder Gamepad, really.)

15. G1GAHURTZ

The 360 controller was designed from scratch, so every curve was put there for a reason, and every button was specifically placed, based on the feedback of gamers.

The PS3 (PS1) controller was designed at a time when the best controller was the SNES pad, so it’s no suprise that it looks like a SNES pad with two big handles on the bottom.

Since then, it’s gone through many changes which have ended up being ‘bolt-it-ons’ and ‘fit-it-ins’ that have made it what it is today.

Then we got rumble, which just made it heavier, but not necessarily in a balanced way, as the rumble just had to be put in where it would fit too.

Then the rumble got taken out, making the pad feel too light for some and many people are still using a SIXAXIS even now.

I’m sure that knowing all this, Sony tried to change the shape to the boomerang, but it just looked stupid, so now we are just left with the controller that was designed in the days of the SNES and hasn’t moved forward much since.

The PS3 pad needs a big overhaul if you ask me, or Sony will still be using this 14 year old design for years to come, while everyone else has moved on.

16. cookiejar

GameTrailers… says it all.

17. DaMan

…I just lol’ed at the comment by G1GAHURTZ. what the fuck?

first of, new doesn’t neccessarily mean good.

amd
    “For example, the two analogue sticks are where they are, not because it’s the best and most ergonomic position, but because they could fit there without having to change the shape of the original PS1 pad.”
    this is bullshit.
    analogue sticks were added in 1998, the shape remained the same because it WAS already ergonomic and good enough.
    why should they try changing it today? it’s good enough as it is.

360 controller was designed ‘from scartch’ because the first xbox one was FUBAR, it was probably the worst one ever.

and imho X360 controller isn’t good at all, I prefer PS3 anyday.

18. absolutezero

For something that was built from scratch with the thoughts of gamers in mind the 360 pad sure does have a shitty D-pad, shitty bumpers and shitty face buttons. Its triggers were stolen from the Dreamcast aswell. So that leaves what. Really quite analouge sticks? Whoop de do.

Pad wars. Whatever the fuck next.

19. G1GAHURTZ

The analogue sticks on the PS3 are poorly placed. It’s as simple as that.

They were poorly placed when they were first put there, and they are poorly placed now.

I remember playing Ape Escape on my PS1, which was the first game designed to be used with both sticks, and it was ubcomfortable.

I still feel that same discomfort when I play games like Resistance even today.

The fact is that the D-pad on the PS pad is exactly where it is because it’s the most comfortabble position to put your left thumb.

End of.

This is a basic design flaw, which there is no disputing. The PS pad FORCES you to put your thumb somewhere when it would be more comfortable somewhere else, simply because the D-pad was already there first.

It’s a bad design that needs to change.

As for the original Xbox pad, then I agree, the buttons were tiny and way too close and it was too big for most people.

But the point is that MS recognised this and that’s why they revised the design once during the life of the Xbox, and again for the 360.

Sony have never done this. They know that there are flaws, but they have kept with them, and Sony fanboys just take it!

As for the 360 D-pad, then I also agree. It’s practically unusable. But one of the main reasons for this is that Nintendo and Sony have already patented two of the best designs.

The rest of the buttons are probably the best that I’ve ever used on a controller, and I’ve used practically all of them. Anyone who says otherwise is just a bit silly really! LOL!

20. DaMan

“The analogue sticks on the PS3 are poorly placed. It’s as simple as that.

I still feel that same discomfort when I play games like Resistance even today.”
    that was merely your opinion, nothing else.

I feel the complete opposite. I enjoyed playing Crash Bandicoot Warped and I enjoy playing Devil May Cry4 with them.

“The fact that the left analogue stick is not in this position means that you’re having to put your thumb in a place where it is not most comfortable.

It’s a bad design that needs to change.”
    I disagree with this as well, and I see this making any difference only in fps games .

Playstation controller is close to perfect imho, at least it’s one of the best ever, so Sony should start making any dramatic changes to it only when it will be actually neccessary. not today.

21. Psychotext

None of you are right. Why? Because it’s all opinion and everyone is different.

22. Gekidami

Why are you bothering to argue with G1GA, DaMan? He’s the ultimate 360 fanboy round these parts, despite not even owning one, and probaly only coming into contact with one about 3 times ever, he’ll away treat the PS3 as if it had raped and killed his familly.

23. DaMan

this is my first encounter with him actually :)

24. gomersoul

i agree with DaMan, you can go on about an old design but honestly speaking i don’t think human hands have changed in 14 years, nor will they be different in 14 years so shut up giga. you know nowt. just cos your comment is 10 paragraphs doesn’t mean it isn’t all balls. the 360 front shoulder buttons completely suck, they’re so cheap. but its not the worst pad ever, the n64 was. who the hell had 3 hands to play that thing!

25. morriss

Man says what he thinks – internet explodes.

Amazing.

26. Shatner

Microsoft sponsored website makes man’s pro-Microsoft opinion front page news and then site’s (eminently biased) staff tries to suggest things are being blown out of proportion.

You’re right. But not in quite the way you’re implying.

You over-sensationalise non-news, you get sensationalist response. I can’t really believe you’re THAT thick not to know what you were doing and I can’t believe you think people here are THAT thick that we can’t see it for what it is.

You can’t have it both ways.

27. morriss

Mulder.

28. Shatner

And, as usual, you don’t ever seem to want to deny these things so you just attempt to ridicule or distract. Which just digs your hole that much deeper.

Pitching biased opinion as headline news and then dismissing the response to it as over reacting is woeful double standards.

29. absolutezero

Man that should really know better and is in an obvious position where his opinion will reach alot of people talks complete shit and gets mocked for it.

Reminds me of David Jaffe actually.

30. wickedman

To me, is just another fucking control. :-)

31. Michael O'Connor

“It’s not really an opinion if it has no reason to back it up, if a person has an opinion, then they usually have a well-reasoned basis for that opinion.”

I like your posts Esha, and you seem pretty decent, but I really need to say this.

Not everyone needs to write a five paragraph essay justifying their opinion to everyone. They shouldn’t *have* to spend five paragraphs doing so. It’s his right to an opinion.

Gotta love the internet’s capacity to make mountains out of molehills. If this was offline, everyone would just shrug their shoulders and go back to playing their PS3s with their shitty Sixaxis controller.

32. DaMan

33. morriss

pad warz

34. Shatner

Michael, why don’t you just stop reading at whatever number of paragraphs is the official internet length for comments then?

And whilst you’re criticising people for lengthy posts how come you manage to ignore both of G1G’s comments?

Apart from the chronic d-pad and the fact Microsoft charge you extra simply for the means to recharge the pad I can’t really fault it. Given how many dual shocks have been around and for how long they’ve been around, why re-invent the wheel? Have Nintendo re-invented the d-pad? Nope. Same control in everything they’ve ever made. I guess there’s enough users of them to suggest it’s a system that works.

I enjoy arguments about how the 360 pads thumbsticks is better for players hand than a Dual Shock pad. I don’t know about anyone else, but on my hands my thumbs are in the same place, the left isn’t an inch or so higher than the other.

35. morriss

paragraph warz

36. XDamage

Haha, nice PR stunt that. I’m pretty sure people sign up just to tell him to fuck off. :D

37. Michael O'Connor

“yeah, sure. now go and play your shitty games on your shitty 360 with you shitty pad.”

Never said the games were shit. <3

38. G1GAHURTZ

The truth behind the PS3 boomerang controller

“President Kutaragi wanted something different for the controller,” Goto told Official PlayStation Magazine. “Quite frankly, we had set aside the ergonomic aspect in favour of the image it conjured up. We wanted to present an avant-garde model for the show, running a risk of being criticised.”

It’s a fact that Sony wanted to ditch the Dual Shock 2 for the PS3.

It’s a FACT. Nobody can “disagree” with a FACT!

They clearly signed off a pad for E3 2005 to present to the world as the new PS3 pad that even the designer admits was NOT designed with ergonomics as a primary concern.

If they didn’t consider how the pad feels to be important now, then why should anyone believe that they put it high on their list of priorities when coming up with the PS1 pad? (Which was just a SNES pad with ‘handles’ and extra LR buttons ANYWAY [Don't forget that the PS1 was originally only supposed to be a CD-drive add-on for the SNES in the first place!])

They also admit that the only reason that they went back to the Dual Shock design was that “there are so many players who are used to the PlayStation controller” Which is a bit like saying ‘We don’t want to give people something better, because we gave them something flawed and now they’ve all just gotten used to it.’

@ Shats:

I think that it’s true that right thumbstick on the 360 pad has been shifted over because it’s more important that the ABXY buttons be placed in the most natural thumb position.

But I’d rather have one comfortable hand when playing FPS’s than none.

39. OrphanageExplosion

So do you reckon that if Sony paid for advertising on this site that Pat would suddenly change his reporting style and choice of content?

You’re seeing that things that aren’t there and just making yourself look stupid.

What is also amusing of course is that even the lowliest of news stories is ‘front page news’ regardless of what is being reported and the console it concerns – it’s a blog FFS – so I’m not sure what your point there is.

40. Blerk

I quite like both controllers.

41. Shatner

“You’re seeing that things that aren’t there”

Is this site sponsored by Microsoft?

Is the opinion of some pro-Microsoft blogger (he admits he’s not editorial staff) posted as headline news?

Is one of the staff writers on this site known to be a hugely biased in favour of Microsoft?

YES! (And the evidence is all over this site and in quite a lot of his trolling on other sites)

Did he try and claim things were being blown out of proportion?

Sorry, what am I seeing that’s not there?

By contrast, you’re attempting to condemn me for something I didn’t actually say. Seems like yours is the questionable eyesight, not mine.

GIGs:
    ‘… because we gave them something flawed and now they’ve all just gotten used to it.’

360 fans like you have to have an AMAZING sense of humour to assign statements like that on the mentality of other companies. Love is blind, eh? :)

42. Plainview

bacon

43. morriss

journalist warz

44. Alpha Male Stu

Is the site actually sponsored by Microsoft…or are VG247 just signed up with some ad agency that just so happens to have run a Microsoft ad recently?

45. Shatner

Heh, I can see what angle you’re trying for Stu (petty though it is, even by gamer-internet-grudge standards).

You go for it champ.

/Waits for incredibly useful and constructive input from morriss such as “semantic warz”

46. Alpha Male Stu

Angle? Grudge? Seemed like a pretty reasonable question ask actually.

47. morriss

“A self-ordained professor’s tongue
    Too serious to fool
    Spouted out that liberty
    Is just equality in school
    “Equality,” I spoke the word
    As if a wedding vow.
    Ah, but I was so much older then,
    I’m younger than that now.”

Well, some of us are anyway

48. shogoz

I own both consoles but tend to buy games on the 360 mostly because I think the controller feels much better. I also only buy multiplayer games on the PS3 like Dead Island, Battlefield 3 and Dark Souls (being the most recent ones) because I would need to pay for an Xbox live membership if i wanted to play it on the 360. Screw paying for something that should be free.

49. shogoz

and…PS I think most game review sites get incentives from companies to portray their game to be awesome. I’ve notived with IGN they hype up the games that are going to be given a 8 or a 9 months before they’ve tested it. How the fuck would they know whats going to be good without getting hands on with it? doesn’t make sense to me

50. deathgaze

Gotta love news stories like this: They’re always guaranteed to bring the trolls and the fanbois out of the woodwork. FWIW, I prefer my 360 controller to my PS3 controller. The 360 controller just seems to fit in my hands better. The PS3 controller seems to me like it’s designed for children – it’s too small, too cramped and the shoulder buttons feel very spongy.

51. OrbitMonkey

Seriously, who the fuck wants to start commenting on a 3 year old story? Archeology in the house yo o_O

52. Gadzooks!

The DS3 is an outdated relic that has been repurposed and rolled out too many times. What might have worked well the first time out has become a compromised design.

I still can’t believe the PS3 launched with a dualshock controller, although even then it was a botched attempt and Sony were forced to patch it up yet another time. Thier design staff must have been too busy pissing about with those hilarious target render trailers to design a decent controller!

Kinda fits with the whole ‘Ah fuckit, that’ll do’ attitude Sony had with the PS3. A barely functional online system, a half-assed OS, last minute GPU, last-gen controller. All so they could launch that new optical format. What a terribly dissapointing waste of the Playstation legacy.

53. OrbitMonkey

^ why do I feel like all this has been said before?

54. Gekidami

Its never too late for retarded trolls.

55. back_up

360 controllers sucks
    but the truth is any 360 gamer never played with 360 controller because
    when they turned on 360 they get RROD
    xbox 360 = 100 % RROD console
    PS3 controllers is the best
    360,wii controllers and kb and mouse all are shit

56. G1GAHURTZ

They both have their own pros and cons.

Period.

57. DaMan

I must admit I was being too enthusiastic, Ghz.. lmao. Probably because my experience with the 360 pad at that time was very limited (I got the holiday bundle at the very end of 2008). I do think DS is better for fighting games, and it’s just as fine for about anything bar shooters and racing.

58. G1GAHURTZ

@57: Wow, I just realised how old this story is!

Looking through the comments, things certainly were more tense back then. I was shocked for a second, because I thought Shatner was back before I’d realised what happened!

Anyway, for the record, looking back at my comments on the DS3 3 years ago, I’ve had a slight change.

Since I’ve been CoD-ing on PS3, I’ve become very used to the softer resistance of the DS3 sticks, and I’m also starting to get used to their placement.

I still think the left stick should be swapped with the D-Pad, but it’s not actually as bad as I was saying back then…

59. polygem

old article but i totally 100% agree with this – always did. i couldn´t believe sony launched the ps3 with a slightly redesigned ds controller. i always hated them. the analog sticks are just shit imo and they are too small and light. the 360 pad is far suprerior in almost every way. i just love this gaming pad. it is perfect for my hands and it even made me prefer console gaming over pc gaming. haptic, ergonomic masterpiece. ms nailed it there. thats why i always prefered to play games on 360. many people who have both consoles use their ps3 as a sony exclusives console. sony really has to work on their controllers next gen. i am sure they are aware of this though.

60. polygem

@ giga: yes it is not too bad if you got used to it. i remember that i actually really enjoyed playing resistance 2´s mp with the ds. after a while it was really fun. i had a system back then that allowed me to use my 360 pad on the ps3 (can´t recall how that was called) – but i actually prefered the ds pad to play this game…overall i still have to say the 360 pad is much more convenient. halo reach with the 360 pad is just the perfect gameplay experience imho. not beaten this gen yet.

61. Ireland Michael

This story is three years old, people.

62. NiceFellow

@61 so are the responses so I guess they match.

TBH neither is amazingly better than the other so far as I can tell after using both almost every day for 5 years. I’m now convinced most of the time any strong preference is simply all in the player’s head.

63. YoungZer0

Really Patrick? Is that the kind of discussions you want to spark here?

A douchebag at one of the most unreliable gaming websites has a crass opinion no-one really cares about.

Now all you get is opinions after opinions.

Great job.

@61: Whoops. Just saw it.

#48 should have looked at the date before he decide to spark the same discussion again.