NXE: Nelson’s top 10 things to do with your New Xbox Experience

Wednesday, 19th November 2008 11:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nxe32.jpg

Major Nelson’s just posted up a top ten list of things to do with your brand spanking, now-launched, New Xbox Experience.

First iff is to create an Avatar, apparently. Then to take a GamerPic of it. Then loads of other stuff. Get it all after the break.

Thanks, Roybott!

Top 10 things to do when you get the New Xbox Experience

The New Xbox Experience is in the process of being deployed to all Xbox LIVE members, but it will take a few hours for everyone to get the prompt to update to NXE….be patient! In the meantime I thought I would give my Top 10 list of things to do with NXE when you get it later today:

1) Create (or Customize) your Avatar – You can spend as much (or as little) time as you want in the Avatar Editor to personalize your little guy/girl

Bonus: When you are done with #1, be sure to take a Gamer Picture of your Avatar. In the Avatar editor, choose Gamer Picture. You can use the controls to move your avatar around, zoom in and out or even change the background color (press Y)

2) Explore the all new dashboard. (hint: use the trigger and bumpers to quickly scroll up and down or left and right)

3) PAR-TAY! Check out Xbox LIVE Parties and chat with up to seven of your friends. Go to the Friends channel…choose a friend who is online and press Y to get the party started. You can also hit the Xbox 360 Guide button > Party >Start a Party. Once you do that, send off invites to your party (since one does not make a very good party…does it?)

4) Themes. While any themes you work will NXE, check out some of the new themes via My Xbox and select your profile (second slot) and then change theme. Xbox 360, Spectrum, Day and Night are new themes that available as part of your NXE upgrade…check them out.

5) Marketplace on Xbox.com. This new feature lets you search, browse, and purchase games and videos while you are away from your console. You can also perform account management functions like changing your billing information, viewing your purchase history, and downloading items you already own.

6) Netflix – Xbox LIVE Gold Member and you have Netflix? If you are in the US you can stream thousands of videos (some in HD) directly from Netflix to your Xbox 360. Not a member? Sign up for a free trial at Xbox.com/netflix

7) Install to / Play from Hard Drive. With the game in the tray, return to your dashboard. (pressing the guide button then Y works as always) then go to My Xbox. From here press Y, which will bring up a new menu which will allow, among other things the ability to install a game to your hard drive.
Hint: You can still use the Xbox 360 guide while installing a game to keep in touch with your friends or start a Party.

Bonus: Before you do #7, be sure to set up what happens when you turn on your Xbox 360. My Xbox->System Settings>Console settings. Then choose Start up to to choose Disc, Xbox Dashboard or Windows Media Center. Once you are done there…check the option right below it: Autostart. This tell your Xbox 360 what to do when you insert a game. The choices are enable or disable. I have mine set to disable so I can easily use install to hard drive.

8 ) Delete Zero Gamerscore games. You can remove any games from your games played list that you have earned no achievements or gamerscore. Press the Xbox 360– guide button, navigate left to the games section and choose Achievements. From here choose the game with zero gamerscore you want to remove and press X (Delete Game History.)

9) Press the Xbox 360 button on your controller to see the all new Guide. The team has added more functionality than the old guide, while making it more responsive. It’s a quick way to check your messages, see who is online or start a party.

10) Take a look at Community Games in the Games Marketplace. For the first time in the history of console gaming, thousands of games developed by the creative community will be available to the public.

For those that have the new Xbox Experience, what are your favorite new feature(s)?

1. Tonka

Number 8 is cool huh?

2. Tonka

Hpopefully this spell the end to those cunting smilys.

3. Psychotext

Some good little titles in the community games, but it really needs some sort of user rating system.

4. Psychotext

Saying that… trying out the community games is off the table right now because marketplace isn’t playing ball. 8O

5. Michael O'Connor

Maybe I’m blind, but I can’t find the community games on the Xbox Live Marketplace at all.

Anyone want to help?

6. Psychotext

On the main dashboard….

7. Lutz

FINALLY!

8. Michael O'Connor

“Select “Game Marketplace”, press A, up three options (Community games), press A / scroll around.”

It’s not there for me.

Not available in Ireland? =(

9. Psychotext

I have no idea… that would royally suck.

10. airdom

i find the community games very interesting!! There are always a few more games every day! and i always pretty much try them all out since a lot of them are small downloads! im sure we will end up with some really great games eventually on the community service! There are already some pretty neat games!

11. Psychotext

I’ve just been going through them alphabetically. I’ll probably buy Bloc and Blow of the ones I’ve played so far…

I’ve only made it to D though. :D

12. airdom

well i’ve had the preview since friday, so i’ve been getting most of the trials ;) theres what…32 games now? there are like 2 new ones every day!

13. Psychotext

Mr O’Connor… you could try this: http://www.gamerbytes.com/2008/11/how_to_play_community_games_wh.php

14. airdom

some games are overpriced though in the community games..but its up to the developer to fix the price =/

15. Psychotext

Partially. If the size of their game is above 50mb they lose the option of charging 200 points (they can still choose between 400 and 800 points).

16. Newbie101

I’ve never seem so much hysteria about a firmware update.

The avatars are cool (I’ll be doing my one later), but am I right that all this update does is, lets you make a avatar, displays information in a different format and allows you to copy games to the hard drive.

17. airdom

thats still kinda stupid no? the game could be 51-100mb, and suck, but wont have a choice to be 400 points

18. Psychotext

Yup. Goes along with stupid decisions such as an enforced 4 minute maximum trial starting from the second the game loads.

Newbie, you clearly don’t remember the 2.4 PS3 update.

19. airdom

and i dont remember what that ps3 update was about?

20. Newbie101

I’m not kinda sure what the PS update was about either to be honest… I’m guessing it was the in-game XMB?

“Newbie, this is also changing the core of the 360, its pretty much re-coded to make it work more smoothly also.”

I don’t really care if it was re-coded, all it does is displays information differently. It doesnt change my 360 at all, just makes it easier to see things.

21. Psychotext

Yeah, 2.4 was in game XMB.

But really Newbie if installs / new resolutions / avatars / completely reorganised dash / access to more functionality in the mini guide / community games / 8 way party system don’t interest you then that’s fair enough. No-one can tell you what you should or shouldn’t find exciting.

22. Blerk

There’s the ‘party’ thing too. That’s actually new functionality.

23. airdom

well said psych, but i like the nxe ;)

24. Newbie101

Fair enough PT. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t get caught in to any of the hype. All I see this is a new avatar system with a different way to displaying information (albeit much, much easier way!).

The community games are just little XBLA games. It is a cool update but it’s hardly a new console ;).

25. onyxbox

this is a nice update, good call on MS’s behalf and the party system sounds like offering a feature I had in the old XBox 1 dashboard…. yay!

I don’t need to launch a game of Gauntlet to have a 4 way chat with friends.

26. airdom

i didnt even get to try the parties out yet. i though the parties were for up to 8 people, but its just 4?

27. Psychotext

I was in an 8 way party a few days ago… so not sure why it’s limiting you to 4 airdom.