Xbox.com web-based marketplace almost launched, Avatars spotted

Tuesday, 18th November 2008 18:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nxe13.jpg

Xbox.com went down for maintenance earlier today, and came back with the promised web-based Marketplace – complete with “coming soon” graphic.

The new feature will allow people to buy stuff from Live then download it to their 360s later on, which is probably pretty cool.

Also, as you can see here if you’re logged in to Xbox.com, Avatars are now being included on profile pages for those who already have NXE.

And if you haven’t, the wait’s almost over: it launches tomorrow.

1. airdom

damn it! its useless for me, the xbox site is blocked when im at work!

2. DrDamn

So that could quite literally save you like maybe a whole minute …

3. mart

I think (but I’m not certain) it allows you to do remote downloading as well, so probably saves you more than a minute :)

4. ashers2ashers

If I could do this the next time an album comes out for rock band/guitar hero I want and I ring up someone at home to turn on my 360 a bit before I get home then it could save me 10-30 minutes of waiting for it to download. It’s not that bad having to wait, but pretty good to be able to do it.

It would be awesome, however, if this meant I could buy things with my solo/maestro card instead of a visa/mastercard which I don’t own, and save me having to buy microsoft points from shops in either 2100 or 4200 packs (for £17.50 or £35 respectively) opposed to the lighter 500; 1,000 etc. (500 is £4.25 I believe) points that you can buy in marketplace at the moment

5. Pyrix

Yeah, that would be awesome so you can stop using my card to buy stuff.

It is pretty good though, as if a big demo/arcade game/anything comes out when you are at work/school, you can start downloading it from xbox.com and call somebody to turn on the XBox so it is ready for you when you get in ;)

NXE should be very good, I haven’t heard anything bad from the preview-program testers, and it looks like the whole dashboard will be much faster (definitely a plus).

6. airdom

well it would save time when you wanna download a damn 1gb demo file. it would also be a good waste of time to surf through everything that is in the marketplace haha…but then i’d maybe end up spending more points =X