Sony claims 14 million active PSN accounts

Tuesday, 18th November 2008 07:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psnlogo21.jpg

In his post celebrating the second birthday of PS3, SCEA marketing boss John Koller has claimed that 14 million people now have active PSN accounts worldwide.

There’s little doubt this confirmation is timed to coincide with the fact New Xbox Experience is launching tomorrow: to 14 million Live subscribers.

From the post, talking of advancements made with PSN in the last two years:

PlayStation Network has truly hit its stride with unique downloadable games and a video delivery service featuring movies, TV shows, and original programming that you can watch in HD with your PS3, or bring with you on your PSP. And with 14 million active accounts and 273 million pieces of content downloaded, we know that you’re thirsting for this digital entertainment.

Leave your handbags at the door, gents. This is a respectable establishment.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I have a PSN account!

I don’t have a PS3 though, but if I ever do get one, at least I have my account name waiting for me…

Anyway, I wonder if this ‘boast’ is in any way influenced by Pachter’s recent ridiculing of PSN on Gametrailers.

He totally dismissed it and estimated you won’t even find 1 million people playing it simultaneously because everyone plays LIVE for their online gaming needs.

I think he’s probably right.

2. Gekidami

Being the 360 fanboy you are G1GA, you would agree with that…

3. G1GAHURTZ

I agree because it’s probably true.

4. morriss

Siny did this big, pre-sign up for PSN account name thing on your PC before launch didn’t they?

5. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, that’s when I registered my username.

It must still be active, because they still send me spam.

6. Syrok

7. Shatner

“Siny”?

8. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, it looks that way. I don’t seem to be able to sign in on Playstation.com.

9. morriss

10. Smartypants

“It will inactive by now. I think I read somewhere in the Terms and Conditions that they get deleted after half a year or a year of inactivity.”

11. patlike

It’s fucking dead today. I might make something up.

12. G1GAHURTZ

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAKE THAT EVIL ADVERT OFF!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEYYYAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. G1GAHURTZ

Phew, It’s gone now.

Those things are the most obtrusive, annoying things ever!

NOOO!!! It keeps coming back!?!?!?!

14. Esha

“SRSLY??! Shit, I better turn on my PS3 ASAP before my entire account is deleted! Time to dust off that mofo”

If it were true that your PS3 hadn’t been used in six months (and allow me to stress, half a year is a bloody long time) then you wouldn’t even care about the status of your PSN account, even if it was being declared inactive.

In short: That was a sickeningly transparent effort at being “clever”, and it didn’t really work. If you feel you need to scrape the barrel to uphold your nickname, then get a new nickname.

Edit: pat, keep the ads, love the ads.

15. Johnny Cullen

“It’s fucking dead today. I might make something up.”

I beg to differ… mostly.

16. morriss

This EndWar ad is my favourite so far.

17. G1GAHURTZ

Hey pat, I got some news for ya!

Boring as it may be, COD:WAW is the UK’s 3rd fastest selling game ever.

I might have told you more, but that new advert makes me not want to be nice to you ever again.

18. Quiiick

@ G1GAHURTZ
    What Pachter said in the most recent episode of “Bonus Round” is bullshit.
    It may not be 14 million but just 1 million can’t be. My guess is that it’s around 6-10 million active users.

19. G1GAHURTZ

Nah, the way I understood it, he was talking about how many people are ever playing on PSN at one time.

So you might have 14 million active users, but the majority of them rarely ever play online.

So whereas on LIVE, you get some days where over 1 million people are playing Halo 3, or COD4, or Gears 2 just on their own, never mind all of the other people playing other games, Pachter seemed to be suggesting that you’ll rarely find more than 1 million on PSN at one time in total.

As he said, Sony have never released figures to contradict this, so I wouldn’t be suprised if the number was as low as that.

20. patlike

It’s on my list, G1. Yeah, you’ll have to bear with us on the ads, I’m afraid. We need the gravy.

21. G1GAHURTZ

LOL, very frank!

I like it.

22. Johnny Cullen

Pat, can you see the comment I posted earlier.

I linked you to two post I wrote for my gaming blog but it doesn’t show on the comment box at the latest comments.

I send them to you if you can’t see them at your news site.

23. patlike

Sec, I’ll check the mod box in the back end. It tends to eat comments with links. Hang on.

24. patlike

There you go. Saw both of those this morning, but they seemed very rumoury to me. Ta, though.