Rumour: Home v1.0 to enter closed beta on November 20

Tuesday, 18th November 2008 21:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

home71.jpg

Whoops. If this Tawkn post is to be believed, a poster on the Home beta forums has just dropped a ton of information on the next phase of the app’s roll-out, including a November 20 date for the introduction of the v1.0 client – the launch software, basically – to the beta servers.

The post says that new servers will be coming online in the “next week or so” and that two new waves of beta invites are about to bring a “huge” number of people into the test to stress v1.0.

“Open beta will be here when it’s here,” says the post.

See for yourself.

1. Psychotext

Possibly around xmas then… that’ll be fun for their support people. :D

2. patlike

They must have pushed like fuck to get this launched in time for NXE.

3. mortiferus

4. DrDamn

/actually agrees with Mortiferus :D

The only interesting bit I considered useful in Home was the “party” idea where you kept together easily cross games. We’ll get that tomorrow in a much more usable and helpful format with NXE. Home == 3D desktop. Completely pointless use of a 3D interface when a 2D one works so much better.

5. Syrok

Here is hoping that you can use the features off Home without having to access it.

6. airdom

Home= 2nd life 2.0 with added animations and games ;)

Home looks sweet and all, but if LBP didn’t push system sales for shit, i highly doubt that this will also.

they have to push this for the holidays(no more betas) to see if this thing’s gonna work. ill stick with my nxe parties ;)

7. mortiferus

DrDamn, Man that should be a 100 Point achievement for me :)

8. DrDamn

Oh no, something much better than that …
    /hands mortiferus a Gold Trophy
    :D

9. JPickford

Gah. Someone kill that advert it’s making this site unusuable.

10. Quiiick

How come I don’t see (“experience”) the advertising everybody is talking about?

11. Esha

“It is a turd. Walk, walk, walk. Look at virtual vase, admire that Killzone mural, walk here, walk there. Home is a prime example of why Sony is dead last this gen.”

This is probably valid, it’s just a bit of silly, social hanging out within game scenarios. This actually appeals to oddballs like me though, for whatever reason.

“I must say that with the in-game avatar integration and the great friends management system MS’ NXE is the experience to beat by far.”

You cannot be serious. I can’t decide whether I prefer aberration or abomination when it comes to describing the Playmobil avatars. And I could almost weep to think that the XBox, which I only just managed to get into, will soon become the next MySpace/Facebook.

Unless you actually like those sites, in which case… all hope is lost.

The UI of the NXE is a thing of beauty, and I wish Microsoft had left it at that.

12. Psychotext

The whatnow? You don’t even have to use avatars… it’s not as if they’ve made them part of their upgraded party system etc.

13. tonynibbles

I’m looking forward to playing around with home. Finally.

It doesn’t cost anything, if I like it I’ll use it, if I don’t I won’t. I’m not going to bitch about it, at least not properly, until I see 1.0.

14. ecu

I’m still interested in having a go on Home. It’s free, so I’ve got nothing to lose. It doesn’t look like something I’ll invest a lot of time in to, but I still want to have a look to see what I can do with it.

15. Cort

@mortiferus,

Wow, clearly from you first post you must be one of the very few people in the world who is in the Home Beta AND had the NXE preview. Tell us: how did you manage that?

16. mortiferus

@Cort Nothing special. I signed up earlier this month for the initial NXE beta but did not get in until MS graciously allowed all of us in today. As far as home, here ye go http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ps3+home&search_type=. nuff said.

@Esha You know you don’t have use avatars if you don’t want to. MS does not force avatars at all, you can continue to use the 2d pics from before. Also, it will not become MySpace/Facebook, where did you get that idea? That’s Home you are thinking of. Instead NXE is now the easiest way to share with/interact & play with friends in co-op/online games.

17. jake01

i have both systems but i dont have HOME yet but i do have NXE and its not that good yea the dashboard is way better than befor but its not all that diferent other than that. and HOME is like that game sims its not going to be that good its just something that you might want to go on every now and then.

18. jake01

personally i think HOME is going to be better.

19. Quiiick

You really can’t compare “Home” to “NXE”!
    “NXE” is a beefed up “XMB”.
    But I still prefer the XMB because it’s very classy and doesn’t look like “fisher-toys”.