Fallout 3: All formats compared in shots and video

Friday, 7th November 2008 15:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fallout3a.jpg

Eurogamer’s published one of its trademark comparison features, this time focussing solely on the differences between the three versions of Fallout 3.

We won’t spoil the outcome for you. Take a look.

1. Axle

FanBoy-o-rama. The PS Triple heads won’t like this and will call conspiracy on EG!!1!1!1!!!1!!!!

2. Newbie101

So;

360 – best version for a technical point of view
    PS3 – best looking console version
    PC – owns them all

about right?

3. Robo_1

I didn’t think the PS3 version came off too bad, considering all the bluster surrounding it. It seems the developers have traded a stable frame rate and anti aliasing for permanent v-sync and better texture effects.

The 360 version probably displays the wiser compromises in terms of overall effect on game play, but if they bring out a patch which solves the PSN freezing issue and add trophies, then I may well give it a look in the New Year.

4. No_PUDding

Not really, it makes me wonder what all the fuss is about.

PS3 actually looks like it has better texture detail.

The whole washed out, and not blurring filters is what works against it though. And as opposed to AA it is a blurring filter on the 360 version, you can see in the shot coming down in the sunset at a bit beyond 0:34, while PS3 edges are jaggie and nasty, 360 has a filter effect much like GTAIV.

And no problems with draw distance either.

Shocked quite how blown out of proportion this is.

Anyway, it’s without a doubt worse on the PS3, and the framerate/bugs are the actual problem.

5. Blerk

PS3 version’s not quite the disaster some people would have had you believe, by the sounds of it.

There were a couple of times in the video where the draw-distance seems a little different though – occasionally I saw something right on the horizon on the PS3 version which was just a black shadow rather than having any actual detail on it. But all the geometry’s there, so you’d probably never notice.

The frame-rate thing is a bit of a bugger, though. Quite why they couldn’t give you the option to drop the v-sync off if things got too bad, I’ve no idea. Perhaps they can do that in a patch.

6. Robo_1

Yeah, I was thinking a v-sync switch might be made available in a patch, but then it must have suffered from some pretty hideous tearing for them to lock the v-sync on, so maybe it is for the best. Be very curious for this patch though.

7. ecu

PS3 version looks extremely similar to the PC version, I’m really surprised by that.

Has this patch been confirmed, or are you all just assuming there will be one?

8. scuz

360 has cartoonish colour boost that for me spoils the murk of the entire game.

i went back to playing it on my mates pc after that.

9. morriss

PS3 is jaggy city.

10. Shatner

I’ve been looking at some PC screencaps of this that some friends at work have been gathering for study and it’s remarkably slapdash in some of its environments and details. Things like steps with crumbled edges are represented by ‘decay’ decals just slapped over the right-angle of a step and some of the geometry detail is surprisingly low. (Say what you like about jaggies but there is only so much you can do with a low-poly staircase to prevent jaggies – irrespective of platform).

This isn’t a criticism of the graphics, just an observation. That the bigger picture holds up so well when the details are, on close inspection, consistently rough around the edges, shows how important the suspension of disbelief is in a game’s environment and how people who might scream blue murder at a poorly alpha’d texture won’t even see it if they’re immersed in the greater game experience.

11. morriss

Sounds fair. Later on in the vid the 360 did display jaggies too, it’s just in the first couple of mins, the PS3 showed jaggies where the 360 didn’t.

Still, nothing to go mental over.

12. Esha

I’m glad that they actually mentioned the NXE installation process, as that’s a necessity. As soon as I got NXE I pretty much installed every game I was currently playing.

HD space used > VREEEEEEEEEEEE-vum-VUM-VREEEEEEEEEEEEE! …moment of quiet? Psych! VREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

And I supposedly have the quietest of drive models (I checked, it’s a LiteOn). So hopefully the NXE will stop the jealousy regarding the PS3′s installation capabilities, because Gods damn, the XBox needed it. And trying to pretend it wasn’t needed wasn’t doing my ears a bloody bit of good.

So the PS3 has a smaller installation size, and both are necessary if you ask me (the only exceptions being: stupid people, people too clinically insane to notice, and sadists who enjoy the occasional bit of torture of the sonic variety). Just saying.

I bought the XBox version of it hoping I’d be able to avoid the crash bugs that infested the PS3 Oblivion.

…and well…

First run through the game and I’m crashing every time I approach the Jefferson monument (Project Purity). I lost a good amount of time having to load an old save and having to do some downright arcane things to avoid it. Apparently, lock-ups and freezes are prevalent through all the versions.

/cry

If only I’d known that all the versions are equally as unstable. If I’d known that, I would’ve gotten the PC version, because at least that has console commands which can sort of fix things.

So, long and short of it? Best version: PC. The PC version can be installed to avoid the noise (unlike Blades), it matches the 360 graphically, and the PC version has console commands which can help people deal with the developer-confirmed crash bugs that plague all versions.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Bethesda, fire your animation and programming teams, and hire some fresh faces with actual talent. Then you might not have people complaining over the fact that there are superiour versions of your games.