Home Beta invites will be sent out on the basis of “loyalty”

Thursday, 6th November 2008 15:19 GMT By Patrick Garratt

thegodfather2.jpg

Home community manager TedTheDog demands respect. Respect for the family. The PlayStation family. If you’ve demonstrated your loyalty, you may get a Home beta invite.

“Your next question is ‘How do you decide who gets picked?’” said Boss Dog in response to a user question on the EU PS boards.

“We had a couple of plans on how that was going to be done [and] both were broadly based on the concept of loyalty. That’s very vague I know, I’ll firm up what I can but don’t expect too much detail: it was really complicated last time.

“For everyone else there’s the Open Beta, which won’t be far behind.”

The Dog Father said this morning that the beta will arrive “weeks” after the next issue of Qore ships.

Thanks, CVG.

1. No_PUDding

Well this is hardly the way to entice us.

If loyalty got me A KZ2 beta then.. well I’d have a KZ2 beta, cus I am on pretty much all the time.

Nice dog/film puns though.

2. Psychotext

That’s a great piccy. :D

3. patlike

*giggle*

4. Robo_1

Nothing wrong with the principle.

5. David

Could it be they are going to rate peoples loyalty on how much content they have purchased over PSN. AKA the people who bought into the whole Qore and so on.

Seems a daft way to pick people for a beta how do you even rate loyalty as a whole.

6. No_PUDding

Lol… A wincy bit contradictory David…. How about how you JUST said?

7. Shatner

Maybe they rate it by monitoring how much pirated content you run as opposed to legitimate stuff?

8. David

Maybe but how do you rate loyalty as a whole. 1 person buys a load of content but another plays more and another buys more sony branded hardware.

o.O for millions of users how do you rate who is more loyal.

9. Syrok

Well, I travelled to Singapore to buy a controller. You can’t get any more loyal than that!

10. Shatner

It depends. I’d certainly tell anyone that stole content from me to not expect an invite. Perhaps people that have participated in other betas AND given feedback (treating a beta as a proper beta test, not as a freebie demo) will be the ones put nearer the top the loyalty list.

If I were them, I’d have a good clear idea of the criteria for people to fall into to determine who would give the must useful feedback from a beta. But I’d use a nice ambiguous term like “loyalty” just to fuck with people’s heads and generate some buzz.

11. No_PUDding

I travelled to London for a game today!

Thats commited (if you don’t know where I live).

12. David

@Syrok: That is some dam fine loyalty there if you don’t get a beta invite I’ll be shocked.

13. Psychotext

I’m thinking if you could tell who has stolen content from you then you’d probably do a little more than not giving them early access to betas.

14. Shatner

Me too. But then the parties that break the law would boo-hoo all the way to the internet and the Big Evil Corporation would be demonised for having the nerve to reprimand theft of their goods.

15. Psychotext

Fuck’em. If I developed a console I’d have hardware in it that burnt down your house as soon as you tried to run a copied game on it.

WHO’S LAUGHING NOW?!?

16. Syrok

@David: So would I!

(No need to tell them that I was so bored on the stop-over that I just spend my last Australian dollars on it)

17. Quiiick

Being Sony I’d choose as many regular software-pirates as possible for the open beta because game-pirates can’t be that much different than music-pirates.
    Surveys have shown that music-pirates belong to the group of people who also happen to buy more music than the average customer.
    Pirates are among the biggest fans of a certain media-type, they’re probably the most loyal fans out there. :)

18. sickpuppysoftware

I LOVE YOU SONY, WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND?!

19. Esha

“*giggle*”

I second that.

Could Ted possibly have used an even more… malleable turn of phrase? I wonder if he’ll be henceforth known as TedTheDon?