Eurogamer goes with 9 for Resistance 2

Wednesday, 5th November 2008 14:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

resistance219.jpg

Eurogamer’s just put its Resistance 2 review live, giving the shooter 9/10.

Snip:

Overall, multiplayer is the satisfying other half to a formidable package, and Resistance 2 is precisely the sort of exclusive game that the PS3 needs. Improving tenfold on its predecessor in almost every area, it not only belongs on the shopping list of existing Resistance fans, but those who were underwhelmed with the original as well will also want to check it out, and then fight for it on the internet. It’s the way of the warrior.

Full thing through there. It’s out in Europe on November 28.

1. Blerk

Seems to be dividing opinion somewhat, this one. I’ve not seen anyone say it’s a bad game, though. All is fine.

2. patlike

It’s picked up a few 8s. Quite surprising, to be honest. The first one was a bit bollocks, though.

3. ecu

I loved the first game. Found it hugely entertaining, I thought the weapons and their uses were a stroke of genius. It’s a vastly underrated game.

4. Syrok

Just like Folklore.

5. BillyBatts

EG are handing out 9s and 10s like sweets these days.

6. Blerk

Maybe games are getting better?

7. BillyBatts

I’d love to believe that ;)

8. Tonka

I think devs have figured out what gamers want from a shooter by now. The rest is down to whether or not they are willing to invest the money it takes to make a 9-10 game.

9. patlike

The first one was OK, but it was so “on-rails”. I hit a silly difficulty spike and gave up, as well.

10. ecu

Which difficulty spike was that? I can only recall one tough section in the whole game, and that was near the end.

11. patlike

It was an open, outside bit with vehicles. You drive along and attack buildings full of chimera. I just got to a bit with one building that I played about 15 times then turned it off.

12. JPickford

pat, never publicly admit you find any game difficult!

13. patlike

Shit, I forgot.

*tears off HARDCORE eppilettes*

14. Shatner

I liked the gun in the first game that shot through walls. Totally changed the dynamic of using cover. R:FOM was the first place I’d seen a weapon like that – not claiming R:FOM was the first game to come up with the idea though.

Ecu, the end of the game was a bit of a letdown. The climax wasn’t a big snarling alien thingy, just a prolonged “survive the horde” type scenario. Having said that R2 seems to have a few ‘big’ alien bits in it.

Anyway, I heard Ted Price say “Trying a beta is like making love to a beautiful woman”.

15. ecu

Ah yes. That was the Halo rip-off level, and probably the worst one in the whole game. It was a much better game when it wasn’t trying to be Halo.

As for the gun that can shoot through walls. Perfect Dark had a weapon that could do that, called the Farsight. It was ridiculously powerful almost to the point of breaking the game. Fun, though. :) I’m not even sure if it was the first game to use such a weapon though (actually, I’d be surprised if it was).

16. patlike

I should go back and try to finish it. Seems silly not to, really.

17. Gekidami

EuroGamer Portugal gave it a 10/10, and had it reviewed long before the other EuroGamer sites for some reason.
    RedFaction also had a gun that could fire thru walls, though it worked more like a sniper rifle…

18. Syrok

EGPT is like the Sony edition of Eurogamer though. :)

19. morriss

I thought the first one was pretty boring. I thought the 7/10 it got on EG was about right. Hopefully I’ll agree with the 9.

20. Morrius

To the theme tune of ‘Jurassic Park’:

‘Meh meh meh meh meh, meh meh meh meh meh, meh meh meh meh meh, MEH MEH’ etc.

21. Syrok

Impostor!

22. Shatner

DOES he shamble along dark corridors and have one arm longer than the other?

JACK BAUER would know.

23. Morrius

I’ve been using the name of Morrius for aaaaaaaages. Sorry :(

But the answer to both of your suggestions is yes.

24. Psychotext

Sweet… that’s going to be confusing. :D

25. ecu

I thought the 7/10 it got on EG was about right

It got 6/10.

26. No_PUDding

WTF!!!??

Eurogamer you weird sons of bitches.

I didn’t like this game at all. Actually I haven’t played it, but the videos I ahve seen disappoint me. Nowhere near as much style as the first games. They should have kept it out of America.

27. CastellanSpandrell

Loved the first one. The weapons and locations were a lot more satisfying and solid than pretty much any other fps at the time (apart from maybe COD3). Really looking forward to R2.

28. No_PUDding

I wish I was part of Insomniac, they have a democracy there that ruins their games.

I’d make sure to side with some, rather then inout my own ideas to make sure their games don’t end up schizophrenic.

29. DrDamn

I liked the first – particularly the way the story was told with stills and voice over. It was a solid but not a really great game. Seems like with a bit more time they have been able to do better with this one. Pity SCEE are a bunch of incompetent fools.

30. Jmek

Anyone know why we are getting this three weeks after the USA?

31. Alpha Male Stu

I enjoyed the first game, certainly not the worst shooter i’ve ever played…but i’d be the first to admit that a lot of my early excitement was based on “I’m playing a PS3!!” haha

32. airdom

Turok had the Cerebral Bore. didn’t really shoot shit through walls…just ate your brains out,which was pretty sweet haha. just thought id mention it even it doesn’t shoot through walls like those other guns ;)

33. Morrius

Sweet… that’s going to be confusing.

Sorry! Now back to Gears 2…

34. Johnny Cullen

“IS Morrius a cloned version of morriss that went horribly wrong in the science lab?

DOES he shamble along dark corridors and have one arm longer than the other?

JACK BAUER would know”

Jack Bauer wouldn’t know.

He DOES know. ;)