New Halo Wars trailer shows proper gameplay

Tuesday, 4th November 2008 07:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

halowars.jpg

Well, lookie here. Ensemble 360 RTS Halo Wars is seen playable in proper direct-feed footage after the break, showing base-building, unit selection and some of your heavier weapons in action against the Covenant, such as carpet bombing and a freeze bomb thing.

It does look cool, no question. There’s a bit of video right at the end showing the Flood, as well.

Halo Wars is out early next year. Take a look.

1. jigglybean

I think yuk just about covers this. I like how you cant run over the troops in your tank – not

2. patlike

Isn’t that pretty much standard? You can’t do it in Dawn of War, either. A tank will stop in that rather than run over troops from its own side.

3. Lutz

Is this vid on XBL?

4. Syrok

@pat: Don’t know if it is standard now, but it was possible in C&C over ten years ago.

5. Esha

I have to say that being able to mow down one’s own people may sound like a good idea at the time but practically speaking, it only tends to annoy after long periods of gaming.

I remember that when that was possible, it was considered a “funny gimmick, but annoying when the AI screwed up and didn’t take quite exactly the right path”.

And we still have those problems today, in just about every strategy game one could name, AI doesn’t take the most optimal path. So these accidental deaths of one’s own people happen, and after a while they get annoying.

Perhaps I have a better memory than most, but the evolution of gaming to me has shown that if a feature is detrimental to the enjoyment of the game, simply because it sounded like a good idea but it was always poor in execution, then that feature is removed.

Having the ability to drive over ones own troops sounds fine and a good lark in theory, but in practice and in the heat of battle once a good game gets underway, it’s obviously how amazingly stupid it really is.

Until we have AI that can telepathically interpret and flawlessly execute the plans we lay out, there’ll be the chance of having tanks run over our own troops. Thus strategy games made it so that tanks couldn’t mow down one’s own troops and things became better.

I’ve seen people harp on about nostalgia before, and missing features. At that point, I’ve actually gone back to play the game and see what all the fuss was about, and 90 per cent of the time it’s usually about some wonderfully inept “feature” that never should’ve been there in the first place. Or at the very least, things that made a player’s life more difficult than it had to be.

I actually did this with Fallout and Fallout 3, after playing Fallout 3 on m’new XBox (which I greatly enjoyed), I went back to play Fallout 1. I compared the features that people said were missing from Fallout 3, how the stats system had changed or whatnot. And yes, once again, 90 per cent of the time these were things that just made the game more awkward to play.

Ex: Rolling First-Aid and Doctor into Medic. A very good idea. The Nostalgites couldn’t see it that way, but playing the original two games it was obvious that having these two as separate stats was detrimental to the game, it was the icing on the cake when I found out that Van Buren (Black Isle’s Fallout 3) was actually planning on doing the same thing, too.

There are so many things like this, nostalgia always makes bad ideas seem like good ones, unless you actually go back and experience those bad ideas again.