Itagaki-less Team Ninja in love with PS3, looking into Wii

Tuesday, 4th November 2008 09:17 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Speaking with Gamasutra, Itagaki-successor Hitoshi Hasegawa and Ninja Gaiden Sigma director/former Itagaki-successor Yosuke Hayashi suffocated Sony’s next-gen competitor with smooches.

“The developers have been releasing products, but there is a bigger potential,” Hayashi said. “There is greater potential, and we see that possibility the most in the PlayStation 3. It’s going to be up to us developers and Sony to make sure that that does happen.”

“For any developer that’s been working on all of the platforms that are available today, I think they would agree that the PlayStation 3 is the most powerful system out there,” he added, also touting Sony’s top-notch developer support.

When the Wii’s turn came around, however, things were a little less cut-and-dry.

“Internally at the company, we have a lot of knowledge, and I think we’ve
mastered most of the components to make a very compelling and entertaining product using the console,” Hasegawa explained.

“We will continue to work in that path. We have a lot of Wii console fans within the company, so hopefully there’s something that we can work on.”

Gobs more through the link.

By Nathan Grayson

1. Robo_1

Expect some tip top Ninja action headed towards PS3 soon then – great :)

2. Gekidami

Now that Itagaki is gone Team Ninja has no reason to stay on 360, he was one of the biggest MS fanboys in the industry… Right behind Gabe Newell…

EDITED

3. ecu

I wouldn’t expect anything good to come from them anymore.

4. Blerk

What do you mean ‘any more’? :-D

5. Balbarian

ditto ecu

I lost all respect for this company when I played Ninja Gaiden 2 and got an achievement for doing a single move…let’s just say I’m not looking forward to the prospective release yet another pale imitation compared to what NG Black gave us on the Xbox.

6. No_PUDding

How the hell is Doug Lombardi one of the biggest fanboys?

Gabe Newell maybe, and I can’t justify his hate any other way. Unless he’s not too clever on the technical side.

7. mortiferus

Without Itagaki the shell of “Team Ninja” is poo-poo.

8. Gekidami

Ah, you’re right PUD, i got them mixed up, my bad.

9. Ft

Without Itagaki the shell of “Team Ninja” will defintely become stronger!
    The only idea he ever had on his own was DOA vollyball!! He’s f-ing useless without his team. But I guess time will tell about that.
    So glad that M$ fanboy is outta Team Ninja.

10. No_PUDding

Lol, fanboys on both sides are arguing how either Itagaki was an immense influence, or a massive hinderance.

I expect he had his own terms of execution, but I don’t think anything will be massively different.

11. Shatner

Itagaki – Putting the I in Team

12. cachucha

I think they will do better without him, they was kind of losing it

13. mortiferus

Ft, Yeah right! Look at the sub-par conversion of NG on PS3. Itagaki is one focused SOB, give him some credit. His notable failure came in the form of a niche game, no shame in that.

Also that M$ fanboy took with him (or at least outta tecmo) a number of high profile members of team ninja.

While Itagaki-san will likely form his own 360 centric studio, Tecmo will sink in mediocrity without his direction.

14. Gekidami

How was Sigma “sub-par”? The first NG is alot better then the second, and Sigma is undoubtedly the best version, add to that the fact that Sigma actually looks alot better then NG2…

15. Ft

lol as Gekidami said, Sigma on PS3 was far from sub-par.
    and the only thing Itagaki was ever focused on was berating his staff and other game creators.

As I said though time will tell what this hack is capable of and now that he has none of this franchises, things are gonna get very interesting or sucky for him.

All I’m saying is Tecmo are surely to do better without his pubescent ramblings.

16. g00nerz

Mortiferus said: “Look at the sub-par conversion of NG on PS3.”

What the farking hell are you on about? As an Xbox Ninja Gaiden veteran I can say without question Ninja Gaiden Sigma looks and plays stunnningly well on PS3. The graphics are eyewateringly good and the gameplay hasn’t changed from the already perfect original.

I cannot comment on how it compares to NG2 on the 360, but I think we can definitely say NG2 is coming to PS3 based on these statements. Looking forward to playing it, and based on the 360 reviews, hopefully they will tweak the gameplay for the better before release.