“Half the things” intended for NXE were cut out, says MS

Tuesday, 4th November 2008 15:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nxe1.jpg

Speaking to CVG, Microsoft’s said that a ton of stuff was dropped from New Xbox Experience. Hardly a shock, but there we are.

“There’s still a lot of stuff we want to do,” said Xbox Live’s Jerry Johnson.

“Half the things we wanted to do [in NXE] we cut out of the service.

“One of the nice things we did was this architectural change to make things more published and driven from the service. All of a sudden we opened up the platform to say ‘I don’t have to wait until once or twice a year to release something onto the dashboard’.”

NXE releases on November 19. What’s left of it, anyway.

1. Blerk

/awaits first “shame they didn’t cut avatars” emo

2. Michael O'Connor

…Shame they didn’t cut avatars.

I kid. It’s sad, but I’m actually excited about making my own. ¬_¬

3. Shatner

Jerry “Less is more” Johnson

4. mortiferus

Well finally it seems someone got it right. Modular updates (not to be confused with patches) are the way to go. These bi-annual releases are just nuts.

5. SWiSS BOSS

It’s still going to be great!
    although no one likes those avatars..
    anyway Microsoft’s doing better than Sony ^^

6. Michael O'Connor

“although no one likes those avatars..”

I do.

7. revolting

I like them, too. I expected them to be annoying, childish and distracting. Mine’s kind of grown on me now, though. Honestly, after a few days using it, I can’t imagine the NXE without them, and I’m actually looking forward to seeing my friends list fill up with them. I expected to hate them, but I’ve been converted.

8. airdom

i think pretty much everyone will end up liking the avatars one way or another, because you will be stuck with them ;) theres no way out of it hehe.

i like the idea of the avatars also, and their customisation.

9. Michael O'Connor

BTW, this has to win the award for “The most taken out of context quote in an article” ever.

Makes it sound so negative, when their own point is that that they have lots of ideas they’d like to implement in the future, which they’ll be able to do so thanks to the NXE

10. Shatner

Journalism 101, Mikeybaby: never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

It’s probably far simpler to spot the articles this sort of spin is absent from than to single out the one that made you go all prickly over.

At least you knew where you were with The Sunday Sport. “BUS FOUND ON MOON”. Ah, them were the days.

11. Michael O'Connor

That’s probably why my site does shit then. Cause I can never force myself to take a piece like this and give it a drama-bomb head-line.

Oh well. NXE all the way; Microsoft have done a fine job with it <3

12. airdom

im down with nxe also lol. cant wait!