NXE torn apart – detailed load time differences, HD movies, kitchen sink

Saturday, 1st November 2008 08:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nxe.jpg

Rich over at Digital Foundry sent word that he’s given New Xbox Experience the proverbial seeing to, posting seven HD movies on various aspects of the new 360 UI and a ton of detailed loading time stats to show where you’re going to benefit most from installing games to the hard drive.

The loading stats are:

nxeloadingtimes.jpg

Hit the link for all the videos and a bunch of tech shit. It’s got most of the stuff you want to know, probably.

1. Hunam

Shame there is no footage of Mass Effect, I;m curious if HD install will fix the texture problem.

2. ashers2ashers

I’m also wondering what’s up with the HD installs, as Bioshock took like, 10-20 seconds?
    Was that the work of nifty editing, or because he’d already installed it before yet the 360 somehow didn’t recognise this (thus allowing him to install to hard drive again) – like if you try downloading something again you’ve already paid for/got on your hard drive

3. OrphanageExplosion

The video has obviously been edited – not sure there would be much point showing 11 minutes of a progressive indicator bar.

4. Syrok

From what I could test the Xbox loading times are a bit better then the PS3 loading times. (I was bored, okay)
    Do they instal more or is the 360 hard drive simply better?

5. OrphanageExplosion

Without knowing what data is spooled from BD and what data comes from the hard disk it’s impossible to tell. Certainly though I would say that the launch 20GB drive used for the tests above is slower than any of the later drives used in the PS3.

Longer loading times from HDD may simply be symptomatic of a poor port in the first place, depending on the game you are using to test.

6. Syrok

I tested GTA and AC. Of course I didn’t know at what point they started to take the time, so I just started as soon as I clicked on the game in the main menu.