No UK 360 price cut for “many, many years in the future”

Saturday, 1st November 2008 09:41 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xbox360logo.jpg

Speaking to Videogamer, 360 UK boss Stephen McGill’s indicated that the pricing of Microsoft’s console in Britain has bottomed out.

“We’re a great price now,” he said.

“I’m not dropping the price for many, many years in the future I would suspect.”

He added: “I’m not going to speculate where [the price] might go in five or ten years time, whatever.

“But we’ve obviously just reduced the price and that’s because we can pass the costs reductions we have straight on to consumers. That’s the right thing to do, obviously from a business point of view it helps it sell even more.”

More through there.

1. Robo_1

I hope the recent price drop has done the business for them across Europe then. Such a shame it’s so difficult to get clear numbers for the EU market.

2. scuz

no shit, bottoming the price out this early in your consoles life is silly

3. Psychotext

I’d expect them to follow a similar path to the PS2 now. Wouldn’t be surprised if they kill the arcade model after it goes sub £100 and move to increased bundling.

Plus you know they want to get a 360 slim out there at some point.

4. David

I would love a 360 slim :)

5. Esha

“I would love a 360 slim”

There’s loads of empty space past the XBox face-plate and beyond, the size could probably be compacted down about 50 per cent, at least when considering how fat the console is.

The problem is this, though: The 360 already has massive overheating problems, and the spacious case design is primarily for better airflow. If Microsoft were to take advantage of how much empty space their console has, they’d completely have to rethink the internal architecture of their console and its cooling solution, that would really drive up the price of a potential slim.

So a slim unit definitely has potential, but part of the way that MS cut prices with the original unit was in how they handled the airflow. So you can probably expect a slim costing about a hundred quid over the units available now.

Footnote: Yes, I’ve looked inside. I like taking things apart, and the 360 was pretty easy to figure out. It was fun poking around in there and seeing exactly what they’d done. It was actually amazingly tidy, and the only thing I could complain about with their internals are a few spots of bad solder, which could potentially melt and cause problems (and that’s on the recent unit I bought to play Fable II). Though issues like that are why I couldn’t, in good conscience, recommend anyone use a slim case-mod to achieve the same thing. Unless they were willing to bolt a bunch of fans to it, of course.

6. desiredtime

I’m not bothered by not another price cut for a while, unless they cut it in the other big regions, America and Japan as an example.

7. Blerk