“Something missing” from Twilight Princess, says Miyamoto

Thursday, 30th October 2008 06:53 GMT By Patrick Garratt

twilightprincessa.jpg

In an interview with MTV, Shigeru Miyamoto’s conceded that Twilight Princess wasn’t everything it should have been.

“What I’ve been saying to our development teams recently is that Twilight Princess was not a bad game, by any means,” he said.

“But, still, it felt like there was something missing.”

He didn’t go on to explain what the “something” was. He did, however, call Mario Galaxy “conservative”.

“While, personally, I feel like Super Mario Galaxy was able to do some things that were very new and were very unique, at the same time, from another perspective, certain elements of it do feel somewhat conservative in terms of how far we branched out with design,” he added.

“And so this is something I’ve been talking to both of those teams about.”

There aren’t, of course, any other details.

Good interview, that. Have a read.

1. Gekidami

Probaly sidequests, minigames, and anything remotely interesting. Twilight Princess is one of the dullest Zelda games to date.

2. Blerk

Where to start on the missing stuff? Charm. Story. Anything to actually buy with your money. Cel shading.

TP was super-disappointing compared to Wind Waker.

3. patlike

Never even booted it up. Had no interest in it at all.

The last Zelda game I played was Wind Waker. It was amazing, but then it suddenly did its usual trick of stopping you proceeding until you make some kind of massive leap of logic with virtually no help from the game.

I really hope they take proper attention to design from more recent RPGs with the next one. It’s not acceptable to be so obtuse any more, in my opinion. I think Mr Pickford was saying something similar yesterday.

4. Blerk

A lot of Nintendo’s games are still rather old-fashioned, gameplay-wise. Metroid, for instance, might look very much like a modern game but many of its game mechanics are straight out of the Super Nintendo era.

Zelda specifically could benefit from a proper levelling and armour/weapons system so that you could actually spend those rupees on something. Perhaps more controversially, I’d like to see them break away from the whole Link/Zelda/Ganon(dorf) story and do a totally new game in a similar world, with new characters.

5. Shatner

I played through TP on my Gamecube. The only reason I got it was because my pre-order for Xbox Phantom Dust cancelled was due to the game’s non-release in Europe so I used my credit on this.

I love the 2D Zeldas up to the GBA Minnish Cap by Capcom (DS Zelda isn’t a game, it’s a series of join-the-dots, follow the too-clear-to-leave-any-guesswork instructions and replay the same damn floors of the main dungeon again and again and again). 3D Zeldas, not so much.

It ticked all the Zelda boxes, just like every identi-kit Zelda always does. But the character art was very inconsistent and the narrative simply wasn’t strong enough to hold the game together. Making a sly joke about Link’s muteness was quite a mis-step as the silent protagonist cliche is very very tired by now and only Chrono and Gordon Freeman seem to get away with it.

But the game felt very much a series of ticking boxes.

But most Nintendo franchise games do, these days. Some insist that Nintendo is the only company taking risks. I look at their output and find the exact opposite to be true. Which is a tragedy as, givin their current position, they could be truly daring if they wanted to. But they don’t seem to want to.

Still, Miyamoto talking about Zelda will have the Nintendo faithful frothing and fantasizing immediately and, after all, that’s what this ‘humble’ bit of PR is all about.

6. Blerk

Don’t get me started on Zelda DS, man. I took it back the shop. Once I’d calmed down. It’s an abomination.

7. patlike

I just want something that lives up to the ideal. I love the style and ambience, but far and away the most engrossing Zelda for me was Majora’s Mask, and I think they saw that as a major risk. There was stuff in there that never appeared in the series before or since – the time mechanic, the ledger thing – and the surreal aesthetic really clicked with me. Was lovely, it was.

All the others I’ve played – including Ocarina – have always left me at some point thinking, “Now what?” It’s a bit baffling considering what they’re supposed to be. I don’t know too many people that got through Ocarina without a guide, put it that way.

Considering how far RPGs have come even in the last few years, anything less than 100% slick in terms of style and narrative will be unacceptable this time.

8. Esha

All too often I find myself agreeing with Yahtzee, and this is another one of those cases.

I found Twilight Princess to be profoundly enjoyable experience, whereas I found Wind Waker to be uninspired and amazingly predictable pap. And the elements of the game that were designed to people who like “The little things.” just didn’t appeal to me, I want more from my game than something that would desperately like to have me believe I’m many decades younger again, and thus not so jaded or demanding of complexity in my games.

Twilight Princess was the first to break from the Ninty Stagnation Effect, it featured Zelda dying instead of needing to be rescued (hooray!) and this happened early on, and the story was about as un-Zelda-like as could be. This is generally what one would consider to be A Good Thing. Relying on nostalgia and past memories to see one through a game isn’t an enjoyable experience for me, so I don’t want my Game D to be the same as my Game C, B, and A, just with minor changes and improvements.

How many people do want that stuns and amazes me sometimes. See: Prince of Persia.

The most important element of Twilight Princess though, and the thing that really has me latch onto a game and love it dearly, was that it wasn’t entirely predictable. And allow me to stress that fact, this was a Nintendo game that didn’t have an entirely predictable storyline. Such a thing is unprecedented and tends to bring new life to a stagnant old trademark.

However, due to fans of Ninty’s past, I suspect that the next game of the Zelda series will feature a cute boy on his quest to rescue a Princess stolen away by a wizard, who goes about converting the World into a dark realm, with absolutely no surprises or unpredictable elements along the way. Utterly filled with what some might consider comforting familiar elements.

I’ll likely sigh, shake my head, and give it a go but find myself back in the depressing position of knowing exactly what’s going to happen, when it’s going to happen, why it’s going to happen, and wondering why I’m playing a game that doesn’t challenge me or raise any intrigue in the least.

Twilight Princess wasn’t perfect, granted, but as a Zelda-series game, it was really different. That made it special. But I think that difference scared some away from it, and those who were scared will likely blow its flaws completely out of perspective. But that’s just my opinion, I suppose.

I guess I’m just tired of seeing exactly the same game recreated for each Nintendo generation, I crave new things and Nintendo gave that to me with Twilight Princess, and to see people tossing the genius of Twilight Princess aside for the regurgitated nonsense of Wind Waker is… utterly disturbing.

Oh well.

9. Blerk

TP’s story was rubbish, though. It barely hangs together as a flimsy excuse to send you to all the usual stereotypical Zelda dungeons. Zelda was barely in it, I’m not sure why they even bothered including her.

Anyway, I thought the major complaint from most fans was that the whole thing was just a re-run of Ocarina of Time? And not something new and different. I’ve never played OOT so I can’t comment, but your views appear to be completely at odds with the rest of the Eurogamer rant thread. :-D

10. patlike

I know a few people that played through TP just because it was Zelda and they had to, and both enjoyed it but said it wasn’t what it should have been. They’re big fans. And both of them binned 70-80 hours on it.

Not for me.

11. Blerk

They can’t have hated it that much, then – I was done in half that time. :-D

12. JPickford

I think the almost entirely linear quest thing is getting a bit out of date. I’m quite late to the party with western RPG’s but I really enjoyed Oblivion and Fable II. It would seem like a backward step to play another game as linear as Zelda now. In terms of game mechanics and level design the Zelda series is still untouchable – it’s one of the few places where you can find genuine puzzles that make you think a bit rather than the non-puzzles that populate most games (blue key -> blue door etc).

A Zelda game with a few strands which can be tackled in any order would be a huge leap. A bit more variation in the ‘levelling’ of Link and his equipment too.

Mostly this is about structure and wouldn’t really involve throwing away anything that makes the Zelda games unique.

If I’m honest I probably spend a fair percentage of my time with a Zelda game being stuck. That didn’t happen with Oblivion and certainly not with Fable II.

I agree with Pat about Majora’s Mask. That was an amazing game. I’d love them to go out on a limb like that again.

I wouldn’t mind a finished version of Wind Waker either.

13. patlike

Blerk – That’s games journos for you. Too busy walking into walls and trying to work out which way’s up ;)

14. Blerk

:lol:

15. Hunam

I agree with everyone in this thread about TP. Even Shatner. In fact, especially Shatner.

Wind Waker and Minish Cap are the best Zelda has ever got. TP is archaic and just not fun to play. I think they could do so much more with it. Maybe Nintendo need to let someone else take the reins, as long as they are loose enough that is.

16. Tonka

I liked TP. Not as much as MM or WW. But what TP lacked is passion. Like Shatner said it just ticks boxes where the others have some reason behind them.

It all strats off well with ranch hand Link but that wild west theme is quickly lost.

Fan service. And since I’m a fan I can’t help but like it.