LBP servers back “very shortly” (update)

Wednesday, 29th October 2008 20:54 GMT By Patrick Garratt

littlebigplanet54.jpg

Update: More here. There’s been another patch. The servers are still down.

The comedy will never end. According to this post on the US PS Boards, LittleBigPlanet’s downed servers will be back as soon as humanly possibly. That isn’t “now,” unfortunately.

The LittleBigPlanet servers have been experiencing significant problems throughout the past 24 hours affecting the online game experience. We are working round the clock on the solution to the current issues and we expect the service to improve very shortly.

Offline Play and Create will still function properly during any disruption.

Please accept our apologies for any frustration this may cause for the time being.

Saying nothing. More soon, hopefully.

1. rondogg96

I don’t have the game yet so I’m wondering what are these problems?

2. Esha

Comedy, really?

I actually feel really sorry for Mm with all this, the poor bastards. Sony made a stupid mistake with recalling software and that was comedy, but this is simply an unexpected issue with the servers. Any gaming experience that takes bold strides into the unknown (as LBP does) will have teething problems.

But because LBP is such a widely renowned and special project, and because of the idiocy of Sony recalling the game, even a bloody technical issue with the servers is considered a part of the “ongoing LBP hilarity”.

And no, pat, I’m not just blaming you. I’ve seen this sentiment in a lot of recent posts, such as the stunningly witty and imaginative “LittleBigFuckup” (I wonder how long it took the originator to come up with that one?).

It’s just getting under my skin a bit.

Sony recall: Idiocy, yes. Mock it all you like, it was a bloody stupid move and unfair to Muslims. I know I tend to have a go at Sony for it.

Mm server issues: This happens to every game that reaches into the unexplored, LBP isn’t the first online game that’s had serer issues, that one can be sure of.

It’s just a case of taking the one and snowballing it into the other, really. If the whole recall/Qur’an thing hadn’t happened then this would likely just be news as usual, and people could’ve accepted that this happens to particularly daring online games. But what’s happened to LBP because of the recall has brought out an unprecedented amount of immaturity, it’s depressing.

3. patlike

I was being sarcastic, tbh. I feel sorry for them too.

4. yupyup

Esha, if you’re getting depressed over what’s happening to MM, you might want to seek professional help.

I made the LittleBigFuckup comment on one of Friday’s LBP stories (though I doubt I was the only one). Media Mololecule. Better? Where exactly does that criticise your precious Media Molecule exactly? Do you think the whole LBP launch has not been a complete fuckup? The only issue I’d have with MM themselves is the server issue. I’d imagine they had more beta participants online than leaked copy users last week, so it’s surprising whatever the glitch was didn’t occur earlier.

srs business.

5. Psychotext

More news:

Bit of a cluster fuck really.

6. Blerk

That report makes it sound like the whole thing just ground to a halt once they got a reasonable amount of people connected. I thought the beta would’ve helped them iron all this sort of thing out already.

7. patlike

Ta PT. Done a story.

8. DrDamn

The problem is that – from the Beta – the whole game is tied in to the servers. So they do need to be sure the problem is fixed well before bringing them back up. It’s not just that features are not available when the servers are overloaded – even small things like tutorials get affected.