Killzone 2 single-player – 16 minutes of off-screen video

Wednesday, 29th October 2008 21:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

killzone210.jpg

The DPad kids just don’t know when to stop. They’re camera mental. You can find a 16-minute video of Killzone 2 after the break, shot at Eurogamer Expo this week.

Mike played this demo through, so read his impressions here.

1. David

watched some of it but kind of got bored of it half way through. Looked nice but game play wise its not my cup of tea

2. rondogg96

This and Resistance are the reason I have a Playstation 3, Metal Gear was pretty good, and Little Big Planet just doesn’t seem like my kind of game.

3. reask

Check this thread out from vgchartz.

It gives the site a mention.

Thread title.

VG247: Killzone 2 Impressions from Eurogamer Expo – “Game of the Show”

here’s the address

4. patlike

Nice. Cheers.

5. reask

Thanks for doing link Pat it wouldn’t work for me. :)

6. Whizzo

It was the game I was most impressed by at the Expo, didn’t get to play it but watching it you could see how much effort had been put into it and it looked fantastic. It was quite a good contrast to Resistance 2 that was being played on right next to it, R2 looked good but not as good as Killzone 2.

If I had a PS3 I’d certainly be rather keen on getting my hands on it.

7. patlike

NP :)

You just post the link in, reask. It does it automagically.

8. reask

Ah I was doing all the url thing, man I really do make life hard on myself and others. :D

9. No_PUDding

It’s certainly not an ugly game.

I created an extensive analogly about how Resistance 2 was a substansial appetiser, consisting of 5 pieces of toast buttered in ear wax, followed by a more balanced tasty meal, that isn’t packed full of every uneeded thing, for Killzone 2.

Then I relaised it wouldn’t work, and Just really wanted to bring to light the toast and ear wax.

/rambling

10. mortiferus

It’ not a bad looking game by any means, but far short of the target renders shown years ago. Looking at the recent raw 720P captures(IGN and elsewhere), it certainly confirms a substantial drop in graphic fidelity.

Overall, Guerrilla did a nice job with the animation, camera tracking and FX, especially the motion blur, although they prolly implemented it to mask the jaggies which still creep up in stills.

KZ2 is bizarrely one of the games that looks great on video but average on stills.

11. No_PUDding

You know, everythign about that was pretty much wrong. It one of the only games that holds up in stills.

It has no jaggies, and the motion blur is just that good anyway.

And ofcourse they couldn’t actually do the CG, but they made it look damn close and, the game I look at now, has an art direction beyond what the CG could even imagine. To such an extent i actually prefer the look of the game to the CG.

12. Psychotext

Yeah, I’m watching this one with interest. The gameplay vids haven’t blown me away so far, but I really like the graphical style so my inner graphics whore has advised me to keep it on the radar.

13. DrDamn

For me it is a great example of an exclusive title playing to the machines strengths. It doesn’t try to go all out on texture quality but has lots and lots of full screen effects and touches which give it a great and distinctive look.

14. LeD

This looks really damn impressive! Definitely goes on my ‘must buy’ list.

I really need to clear some of my unplayed/unfinished 360 games, and invest more time on my PS3.

15. mortiferus

@ No_PUDding “It has no jaggies, Holds up in Stills”

Are you kidding me? Take a look at the any of of the non-photoshopped screens on Shack or IGN. Sheeesh!

Try this one too. Truly exposes the voxel like ugliness of the engine. They went crazy on post effects to mask the overall rendering deficiencies, that’s all.

16. DrDamn

That’s the best jaggie example you could find?

17. mortiferus

DrDamn I guess the N64 like anisotropic filtering has covered the jaggies up mostly… and in a nasty way. look at the character in the foreground, yuck…

I’d advise a trip to lenscrafters first but here you go, take your pick. Guerilla has bizarelly enough added a noise filter to further fudge things up visually in the last build.

or

They both are native 720P captures.

18. mortiferus

Just to be clear, I’m not bashing the gameplay, it looks solid from that standpoint. I’m just pointing out the truth in terms of the visual issues and underwhelming technical achievements of such a high profile game.

19. DrDamn

It looks great. I’ve got concerns about heavily scripted gameplay, but technically it’s stunning. Claims of “masking deficiencies” are inconsequential when the end result is so good.

20. mortiferus

“Claims of “masking deficiencies” are inconsequential when the end result is so good”

ummm… ok. If by “good”you mean it’s a heavily scripted COD4 clone with nicer camera tracking, animation and a hell of a lot of N64 style anti-aliasing.

Also, it has a weird Outcast (by Infogrames) visual feel that is a result of them sharing a voxel based engine.

21. No_PUDding

That screenshot you posted is stunning, it looks like artwork. And it’s not jaggy at all. Deferred rendering I don’t think is a deficiencient rendering technique anyway anyway.

The game looks like CG and the textures in the beta, from NDA breaking screens on NeoGAF look astounding.

I hadn’t actually seen the shots so thanks.

22. DrDamn

Again I don’t care how it is done, the end result when you play the game is what matters. Every vid I’ve seen, every preview, all say the game looks great. What’s the problem? It cheats? Whoopdeedoo, *every* graphics engine cheats. The overall finish is stunning.

23. No_PUDding

Agreed.

Shadow of the Colossus cheats a fuckload and it is one of the most beautiful 3D games to date.

24. KeeN

Outstanding game! Damn, there is no free minute to have a break in this brutal theatre. I saw a couple awesome cinematic effects in HD. I hope the game will be in 1080p. Best regards…