Fable II abbott glitch being fixed as “priority,” says Lionhead

Sunday, 26th October 2008 10:52 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fable23.jpg

A game-snapping glitch in Fable II is being fixed as a priority, Lionhead has said.

“We are aware that a minority of people playing Fable II over the last few days have encountered an issue where the Abbot becomes unresponsive at the beginning of Monks Quest in Oakfield,” said a spokesperson on the developer’s forums.

“This is an isolated issue, but we are currently looking into it as a matter of priority. If you have already encountered this issue, there is unfortunately no work-around at this time, but we will keep you updated on any progress made.”

The problem arises if you cut a conversation short with the abbott and leave the area: the game then stops you progressing any further.

As reported by GayGamer, via Kotaku.

1. DrDamn

It’s a great game but glitchtastic in a lot of ways. Just in a 3 hour play session last night I encountered :-

1) Complete game / console lock-up
    2) Villager who wouldn’t stop following me and his confused state was saved too – had to take him somewhere quiet and teach him the merits of the “Safety off” function.
    3) Got stuck in a tree forcing a reload
    4) (A) to examine not responding at all

It detracts from the overall experience and stops it being a 10 or GOTY in my book. It’s not finished.

2. patlike

Blimey. It really is being reported as being buggy all over the place. I’m very surprised, to be honest.

3. Smartypants

I also got stuck in a tree. It’s a good game I guess, but I really hope they’re going to patch it. Minor annoyances but still valid annoyances imo.
    I agree with DrDamn that the game is obviously not finished, it lacks that final polish. A month or two longer and all these relatively small problems would’ve been most likely fixed.

4. Johnny Cullen

It is a good game, Fallout 3 pending, I’d probably name it best RPG of this year.

But there are so many bugs.

Infact, after you have finished a fight, your character just stands there while you do nothing so you have to tap A twice before your hero goes again.

Hope Lionhead fix this soon.

BTW, the dog is amazing.

5. patlike

I’ve got a promo here but I’m playing Far Cry at the moment. I’ll give it a look when I’m finished.

6. Shatner

There’s a fucking meltdown over on the Lionhead forums over the implementation of co-op. Death threats and name-calling etc.

Ugly stuff.

7. Tonka

What’s wrong with the co-op implementation?

8. Shatner

It’s not what some people expected

Clearly a crime punishable by outbursts such as:

“is this a f****ng joke of you? are you trying to anger the fans even more?! YOU ****ING LIONHEAD ARE ONE PIECE OF STAB IN THE BACK I THINK I WONT EVEN BUY THE ****ING PIECE OF **** GAME 60 BUKS LESS FOR YOU MOTHER****ERS we trusted lionhead and they’re testing us more and more and now they crossed the ****ing line and they can all die Dead i’m serieus im REALLY ****ING DISSAPOINTED.”

I assumed that was morriss until I realised the spelling and grammar were too good :P

9. absolutezero

You are such a bitch Shat.

10. Shatner

You wish ;)

11. McLovin85

I find it amazing how many games come with major glitches these days. If the current gen consoles didn’t have internet or HDDs what on earth would they be able to do???
    If this came out on PS1 or PS2 how would they be able to fix this? Recall all the games and send out a new version with the fixes?!?!?

12. Johnny Cullen

Jesus.

Just looked at Lionhead and they are fucked off.

Other then the bugs, there is nout wrong.

13. Esha

I think I’ve potentially found the best glitch though, or the most hilarious.

Faffing around the back of the Little Hut of Light in Oakfield, I managed to get myself into a position where I was constantly teleporting from one end of the building tot he other. This is achieved by swinging the camera a lot and trying to force the character up behind the building.

A monk came along at this point and I performed the Great Teleportation Dance, an act that has never been seen and will likely never be repeated.

Now I know what it’s like to be Nightcrawler and Nightcrawler stoned.

OT: I did pick up an XBox, and this is a pretty fun game, if amazingly unimaginative. Though things have to reach the echelons of “transvestite Unicorn”, “living town that tends to walk about, mildly irritating the people who live there”, and “steampunk extendo-glove combat enhancers” before I’ll raise an eyebrow, thus I tend to be blase and I find most standard fantasy uninspired pap.

I wish it wasn’t so amazingly predictable and that I didn’t know exactly what was around the next corner, but it is fun and I do like it. The Dog’s great, too. Love the Dog.

14. mightyhokie

I love this game, LOVE IT. However, it isn’t perfect, but what is?

He shouldn’t have released it with this many bugs, but that aside I believe this is a masterpiece. I love the atmosphere, the humor, the characters, the variety, the combat system is fantastic, the art style is beautiful…it is just a great, great game. I hate that it has these bugs, but I’m by no means going to be shouting death threats to the High King Peter M. I am getting my moneys worth.

The only glitch that I have encountered so far (and I’ve done basically everything and am getting ready to fight Lucian) is when I got back from the spire my wife had disappeared and my kid was a zombie. I think it might be because I had them living in the house that you get when you open the demon door in Oakfield.

Oh, well, I just went and married a gypsy. Being technically a bigamist hasn’t made me lose my halo or anything so I’m good! =>

15. JPickford

What does he mean by ‘isolated issue’?

There are tons of bugs.

16. Hero of Canton

It’s the only game-breaking one, as far as I’m aware. There are a lot of little glitches, but in a game like this there was always bound to be.

17. JPickford

My daughter found a gamebreaker. She managed to get 6/5 gold coins at the start. The bloke with music box wouldn’t respond so she couldn’t progress.