Japanese hardware sales: PSP explodes, PS3 doesn’t

Friday, 24th October 2008 06:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psp3000a3.jpg

Latest Media Create figures have shown that PS3 sales have actually dropped in Japan, down from last week’s all-time low. Xbox 360′s looking positively perky by comparison.

It’s all good for PSP, however. Data for week ending October 19. Last week’s charts here.

• PSP – 159,816
  • DS Lite – 29,839
  • Wii – 26,024
  • Xbox 360 – 7,856
  • PS2 – 7,261
  • PS3 – 4,725

1. Blerk

Media Create has the 360 outselling the PS2 again. MC and Famitsu really can’t agree on those two of late.

Also, anyone notice that 360 sales are actually up this week? Sales in general, actually (PS3 aside), but I fully expected the 360 to keep heading down until it reached its ‘natural rest’ point again.

2. morriss

PS3 did slightly worse than the Famitsu estimates, where 360 did much better. Weirdz.

3. patlike

They’re always different. I stick to the M-Create ones, tbh. I know where I stand with them.

4. G1GAHURTZ

I dunno, I kind of expected it.

The 360 is a community type console with LIVE and everything, and it encourages people to spread the word and increase their friends lists.

It’s a bit infectious, kind of like facebook or something.

So I’m not suprised, which is why I think that the sales will keep rising until they hit a ‘normal’ level rather than a fringe one.

5. Psychotext

I think you’re overstating the chance the 360 has to do “normal” level sales in Japan GHz.

6. DrDamn

I don’t think it’s Live as such – the new Xbox Experience thing will help a lot more than the current interface. It’s certainly benefiting from having some decent Japanese games which make people want the console when they see it. So word of mouth is finally helping.

7. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t see why though.

As DD points out, as long as MS keep presenting themselves through Japanese executives, churning out the JRPGs and the like, then surely they should be able to do it.

8. Blerk

That’s just the thing, though – they can’t “churn them out”. They take too long to make. The best they can hope for is one every few months, which isn’t enough to keep the momentum up. Machines like the DS and the Wii and the PSP will sell regardless of new software.

9. Smartypants

I’m LOLing as hard as the rest of the world at those PS3 figures, but what I can’t understand is why the hell the Japanese love the PSP so much?? I have one, and it’s mainly used as a homebrew/emu/handheld-psx device. If it wasn’t modded it would be an overpriced paperweight with a nice but dusty screen.

10. Blerk

Monster Hunter.

11. Psychotext

Based on software sales it’s either being used as a device for music / vid or pirated games. There are only a couple of titles that have been any significant success.