Fable II players report game breaking bug

Friday, 24th October 2008 18:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fable281.jpg

According to this X3F story – citing a thread on the Lionhead forums – Fable II contains a game-breaking bug in one of its quests.

From the piece:

The glitch occurs during the quest called “Monk’s Quest,” in which players are tasked with speaking to the Abbot of the Temple of Light in Oakfield. Apparently, if players run into the temple, begin the conversation with the Abbot, and then leave the region before the conversation is finished, they are be unable to resume the quest, thus preventing them from completing the main story. Lionhead is currently working on the issue and advises all players to make sure to finish the conversation and cut scene before leaving the area. At the moment there is no fix for those who have already encountered the glitch.

Whoops. And that’s the not the only problem. Hit the link for more.

1. airdom

late news =/

2. airdom

haven’t encountered this crash yet though

3. Psychotext

Yeah, I’ve had a quest screw up on me in the same way. Luckily it was just a side quest.

4. ecu

Surely they can issue a fix if you’ve been affected by the bug?

5. morriss

GotY so far.

6. Psychotext

ecu: Probably, yeah. Though one way or another it’s still going to take a while… these aren’t PC games which can be patched in a day.

7. ecu

Thought you couldn’t play it until November, morriss? :P

/also ended up buying the game >_>

I’m yet to start it, though. I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

8. airdom

@ morriss

seriously? i have the game, i really like it and all, but i doubt this will be the goty for some reason. it does have potential, its huge! im pretty sure though that GOW2 will own fable 2 in sales, even though is a completely different type of game.

anyways…we’ll see who ends up on top at the end of the year!

9. ecu

It won’t be “GotY” officially, whoever records that. A few games have outscored it this year.

It might be morriss’ choice of GotY though, and perhaps mine, we’ll see..

10. Psychotext

GotY for me so far… even with the bug. If they can tighten things up a little with a patch it would be nice though.

Maybe LBP will overtake it for me at a later date, but I can’t say yet.

11. ecu

GTAIV will win GotY, easy.

All the “official” places tend to award the big, high scoring, high selling games. But loads of places give out GotY awards, so when people say it’s “GotY” do they mean their GotY, or it’ll win GotY somewhere. I don’t know.

Fable 2, could quite easily win EG’s game of the year, for example.

12. morriss

I mean it’s my personal GotY so far, yeah. The dog is a work of genius: stunningly realised and beautifully animated.

I’ve spent around 8 hours doing almost nothing and loving every minute of it. So much to see, do and experience. Never a dull moment.

It’s not perfect, however. There are some audio drop out from time to time, a couple of frame rates issues and a bit of tearing. However, they are magnified by the game’s own ability to suck you so far into the world, that the slightest anomaly feels like a thunderbolt back to reality again.

13. airdom

ive spent wayyy too many time with my dog in the game also haha

14. Hero of Canton

It’s my personal GOTY too, and in my top 2 of the generation, second only to Mario Galaxy.

I played it some time ago for review and loved every minute I spent in Albion – and when I wasn’t playing, I was thinking about it and planning what I was going to do next. Even though I have a review copy, I went out and bought the Collector’s Edition today because I felt that Lionhead deserved my £45 for what engrossed me for thirty-plus hours until my debug RRODed.

Yeah, it’s flawed. But with some kind of reward – no matter how small – for just about everything you do, an absolutely glorious gameworld and bucketloads of charm, there’s no way anything will top this for my game of 2008.

15. JPickford

My daughter found a game breaker. Right at the start she managed to collect 6/5 gold. The bloke with the music box doesn’t respond (sell you it) unless you have exactly 5 gold.

The game (so far) seems excellent but it’s definitely not finished.

16. ecu

Will play tomorrow, then give opinions. Can’t wait.

17. Bloodloss

Well if it can’t win game of the year, it’s undoubtedly won most overrated game of the year :D

18. AlbenoEpiX

Reminds me of the Twilight Princess cannon-room glitch somewhat.

19. G1GAHURTZ

Wow!

This games sounds like it still has some pretty obvious class ‘A’ bugs in it.

Maybe they shipped the wrong build!

20. Quiiick

How I hate this situation!
    Buying “Fable 2″ for me is like meeting a girl you think is a bit ugly but after a while you realise she totally want’s to f*ck with you.
    You know you could have some serious fun with her, but you really don’t like her look. Terrible dilemma … :(

No, I will not rent the game (the equivalent of a one night stand.

21. GoraEuskadi

I have just mixed Pub games with my Fable 2 profile and now i cant continue playng main story because of thay bug

22. Psychotext

Odd. I imported merged my pub games profile just fine. I assume you did it when you came across the first game master you found?

23. David

@Quiiick you could setup an account with boomerangrentals or swapgame then you can keep fable 2 as long as you want. then send it back when you are finished.

24. Quiiick

@ David
    I never rent games/movies/whatever! Never ever!
    But thanks for trying to help (even though your proposal is no use here in Switzerland).

25. DrDamn

It is a lovely game, but as others have noted – lots of little small glitches along with the bigger one mentioned here. Could do with a tightening up patch.