Star Wars: The Old Republic is “PC-only,” says LucasArts boss

Thursday, 23rd October 2008 22:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

theoldrepublica1.jpg

LucasArts online head Tom Nichols has told VG247 that upcoming BioWare MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic is a PC-only game, ostensibly conflicting a report that the title is in consideration for console release.

“It is PC-only,” said Nichols when asked if KOTOR’s Xbox tradition would be upheld.

When pushed on whether or not the game would come to consoles in the future, Nichols there was only one version currently in the works.

“We’re just focussed on the PC platform at this time,” he added.

Nichols was speaking at the San Francisco launch of The Old Republic, on the same day EA Games president Frank Gibeau told Eurogamer there was a possibility the title could move to consoles.

“They’re both under consideration,” he said, speaking of TOR and Mythic’s Warhammer Online, but added, “We’re not really in a place to commit or announce anything specific with regards to those.”

Upshot: don’t expect The Old Republic on your 360 any time soon.

1. Gekidami

I would only really consider getting the game on console to be honnest, unless, ofcourse, it has no monthly fee.

2. morriss

I know loads of people who figured KOTOR as a next-gen title when they bought a 360. Me included

3. jigglybean

TOR is next gen. PC next gen.

4. charmers

I will try and be as civil as I can be. As a PC gamer of nearly 20 years I have sat and watched Lucasarts belittle, moan, complain and deride the PC platform, the platform that MADE them. As far as I am concerned they can take their “mmo” and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine they will not see a penny out of me.

5. Shatner

It’s reasoning like that, charmers, that justifies Lucasart’s actions.

Own goal.

6. morriss

Man, I so badly wanted KOTOR 3 in high def. :’(

7. Can u dig it

I was so excited to play kotor 3 on da 360, im so crazy about the past two games that they previously made, but i just found out that they are only going to make it for da PC? i thought i would have been a big hit for the 360, but i wont even consider getting it for the pc caus it wont even b worth it sadly if it only comes out for the pc