Violence in games “concerns” Miyamoto

Tuesday, 21st October 2008 18:31 GMT By Patrick Garratt

miyamotoa.jpg

Nintendo dev boss Shigeru Miyamoto thinks there are better ways of entertaining people than allowing them to shoot people in the face.

“I don’t want to curb freedom of expression but I am concerned that many developers focus just on excessive violence in order to stimulate people’s mind,” he told Channel 4.

“I believe that there are more ways of grabbing players’ attention than violence alone.”

And why’s he concerned? Because entertainment should come second place only to eating, apparently.

“We need to eat in order to live – that’s our first priority but entertainment and the enrichment of our souls must come in second place,” he added.

More through there.

1. MesserWolf

that’s true for many games …

2. mortiferus

He does have a point. However the issues and blame are above that of designers, developers, programmers and artists. It’s the corporate cutthroats who green light crap at the expense of innovative concepts and execution. Yes there is some fiscal responsibility, yes the is risk, but if we keep regurgitating violent content in new wrappers, then we may just as well move to Hollywood.

Also to be fair, Miyamoto is a rare exception, he chooses his projects and goes from A-Z. He can be as selective as he wants, no questions asked. Boy all the designers I know pray that they could have that luxury.

3. wickedman

Welcome to the real world,Miyamoto!!!

4. Quiiick

Valid point!

5. Vincent

I agree with him, but it often feels the only alternative to games with extreme violence are family games with extreme cuteness. There are plenty of great games in both ends of the extremes, but I’d like to see much more in the middle ground. Most books, TV shows and movies (even Hollywood ones) manage this middle ground perfectly well. It’s time that games followed.

6. Gekidami

So, according to him we need to eat, this is the most importent thing to a human being, then, only then, should come entertainment… Well sure, but its worded strangely, the “MUST” in that phrase makes it seem as if he’s saying that violent games are just so damn good people are playing rather then eating, putting n° 2 in n°1′s place.
    Probaly not what he ment, but still… Super Miyamoto wants to save the human race with boring games!!

7. elbarno

Quoted from wikipedia – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game

“Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interactivity. Games generally involve mental or physical stimulation, and often both. Many games help develop practical skills, serve as a form of exercise, or otherwise perform an educational, simulational or psychological role.”

Perhaps Miyamoto is concerned that the only thing we’ve managed to improve within ourselves with today’s games is our ability to determine exactly how many ways to take someone’s face off with a shotgun. Don’t get me wrong, I like my FPS games just as much as the next guy, but I also grew up in an era of gaming where violence wasn’t nearly as pronounced as it is today (matter of fact, I believe it was Wolfenstein 3-D and Doom that really brought my attention to it). I remember the long gone 90′s era of gaming, 8-bit NES, super nintendo, the golden age of adventure gaming…

Much of that has taken a backseat to the militaristic run and gun games we see today. Mature rated games far outweigh the other rated games simply because that’s all people will buy. Coming from the guy that created Mario Bros. , Zelda and Metroid, I think he’s just looking for a developer to step up and try something crazy inventive, without being rife with blood and gore.

8. Doomsayer

Why do i hate Ninty so much lately ?