Mythic boss claims Warcraft copied WAR PvP changes

Tuesday, 21st October 2008 13:09 GMT By Mike

Speaking with GI, Mythic boss Mark Jacobs said that the changes to player-versus-player combat in World of Warcraft are taken directly from the changes made to Warhammer Online.

“You have a game that’s been out for four years, they’ve never put in world PVP like ours, they’ve never been able to level through PVP like in ours,” said Jacobs

“I think it’s absolutely a reaction to Warhammer. It wasn’t like all of a sudden the idea of open world PVP or levelling through PVP came into their heads and went ‘nobody’s ever done this before’.”

However, Jacobs wasn’t upset about it at all. “I think imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,” he added.

More through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. Doomsayer

Pretty funny to hear that from Mythic after they copied pretty much everything from Wow.

2. lelik

sounds like hes crying to me

3. Esha

It’s better to be uninformed than misinformed, that way one admits a lack of knowledge as opposed to spreading misinformation.

It was clear that WAR wasn’t much like WoW from the time I spent in the beta, I didn’t really take to it though because I’ve always been a City of chap, but they were two clearly different elements. The only thing WAR “ripped off” was some elements of the UI.

But it’s also fair to point out that Warcraft pretty much ripped their UI off Everquest II, and mixed it up with ideas that came before that.

Not to mention that the art-style of Warcraft has always been predominantly inspired (to put it kindly) by the Warhammer franchise, and Warhammer art-books and figurines have been around a lot longer than World of Warcraft, eh?

Blizzard was never about originality, I don’t think anyone could claim that with a straight face unless they were a truly excellent liar, and in that case they should be in Vegas playing poker. No, Blizzard’s strength has been the gaming montage. A bit of this, a bit of that… poof, Blizzard game.

Their game creation process is more akin to alchemy than invention. So nothing was really taken from Blizzard, but simply that opposedly Blizzard… acquisitioned so many things from so many different sources that it’s hard not to see similar things in other games.

However, one could only say that something was stolen from Blizzard if they genuinely believed that Blizzard was capable of creating something original. I would supposit that they never were, though I’d be interested in seeing a truly original Blizzard franchise that hasn’t borrowed heavily from things prior.

Maybe their next MMO, eh?

4. Zorvan

I love intellectual midgets who say WAR copied WoW, when Warhammer was the first and Warcraft was the blatant ripoff riding on their coattails from the beginning.

Everything in WoW is based on Warcraft. Everything in Warcraft was ripped from Warhammer. So QQ some more fanbois.

5. Detoxx

11 million subscriptions. Nuff said.

6. David

WoW have been experimenting with world pvp way before WAR was released. Maybe WAR gave them a much better idea of how it should work but I hardly think they just completely ripped them off.

I’ve yet to try Warhammer but this is silly. Both WoW and WAR can easily coexist. They are both great games that offer different experiences in a simaler fantasy world.

If one takes a feature from another is that a bad thing ? I don’t personally think so. All mmo’s take features from other mmo’s.

7. No_PUDding

People care about MMO’s?

SNAP!

I am ready to be burnt for that.