Eurogamer gives Fable II 10/10 [Update]

Monday, 20th October 2008 14:23 GMT By Mike

fable2logo.jpg

Eurogamer has awarded Lionhead’s Fable II 10/10. Peter Molyneux said previously that this game will define his position in the industry, so a 10/10 isn’t bad start, you could say.

From the review:

Fable II’s generous and forgiving template isn’t one that many games choose to follow, but it proves convincingly that if you’re clever enough, you can create a consistent challenge without resorting to mindless punishment, and you can craft a sharply told story that still has room for the player to express themselves within. Inclusive and often thought-provoking, this is a daring portrait of a game-world with all the failure cut out, and it’s hard not to love a game that loves you so much in return. Fable II will charm you, thrill you, and leave you very, very happy.

Now go read the full thing.

Update: OXM has given the game, 8/10, GamesRadar says 9/10, as has StrategyInformer. CVG reckons it’s worth a 9.2 and Videgamer.com says 9/10 too. Last but not least, IGN has awarded the game a formidable 9.5/10.

The rest will be over at Metacritic in due course.

By Mike Bowden

1. Psychotext

Take a bow Mr Molyneux. More importantly, well done to the Lionhead team. :)

Oh, and congratulations to PM’s PR handlers who mostly managed to keep him in line. :P

2. Harry

Never heard of the writer of the review. Does he work at Lionhead? ;)

3. morriss

I’m going bananas here. I have no time to play it whatsoever. :’(

4. pjmaybe

He’s done a couple of 10s at EG now I think.

Still going to shelve this till next year along with Fallout 3. Just not.enough.hours.in.the.day to game as it is, and definitely not enough hours to devote to Fable 2 which sounds like it needs a heck of a lot of time spending on it.

5. Blerk

Whoa.

I’m really looking forward to this. A lot.

6. pjmaybe

Waitasecond, who’s cloned the original Blerk and replaced him with a WRPG sympathiser?

7. Blerk

I’m perfectly happy to play WRPGs that don’t suck. :-)

The original Fable was one of the 5ish Xbox games that I actually wanted to play.

8. G1GAHURTZ

Is this the game that will make you cry when your dog dies?

9. pjmaybe

Well now you’ll be able to. Or rather “when you get a 360 you’ll be able to” because it works in BC on the 360. And it’s available to download IIRC (though tbh you’d be nuts to spend 1200 points on it when you can pick copies up for 2 quid)

10. Blerk

Yes, there are plenty of advantages to being a traitorous back-stabbing scumbag.

11. trav

God damn it. I wasn’t going to bother with this, but now NOW, I’ll have to buy it in some shape or form.

12. Shatner

“Now go read the full thing”

How about a link?

Pete dun gud

13. Psychotext

“last screwed up by Mike Bowden at xx:xx”

14. reask

I’ve tried RPG games such as oblivion but I just can’t get into them.

I would love to try this game though.

15. Blerk

9.2 from C&VG.

16. airdom

nice! now i’m even more looking forward to play this!

17. mart

Knock it off pt, I shouldn’t think that’s particularly helpful.

18. Tonka

Sounds really good. Even more of an adventure game than Oblivion. Does it support splitscreen co-op?

19. Lutz

Tonka: AFIAK, no! XBL co-op only.

WHY IS NOT FRIDAY NOW???

Awesome, awesome stuff.

Congrats to all at Lionhead.

20. Blerk

And 9.5 from IGN UK.

21. Psychotext

mart: Lighten up. It’s pretty common in news stories around here to miss off the link to what’s being talked about… so there’s nothing wrong with a gentle ribbing until the posters are too scared to post anything at all.

22. No_PUDding

lol @ Eurogamer.

23. Blerk

Gentle ribbing. For her pleasure.

24. Blerk

I await explanation of Pud’s lolling with bated breath.

25. Psychotext

Don’t anger the Pud.

26. Blerk

I do not fear the pud. I have the custard.

27. No_PUDding

I am both.

28. Esha

EuroGamer scored higher than IGN?

Inconceivable!

And yes, I have watched Priness Bride recently.

Anyway, it seems like Fable II is a good game. I never doubted this was the case, and all of Lionhead should feel good about their success.

29. No_PUDding

By the way, my lol was completely unwarranted in terms of the game. In terms of Eurogamer it’s just, though.

I still haven’t played it, and I plan to relatively soon.

And really for huge world games like this, given the way GTA turned out, I am not all that convinced by reviews. The live stream looked claustrophic and it’s certainly not totally free roaming, ala Oblivion.

30. jigglybean

Eurogamer also gave Spore 9/10. Since that, i have lost all faith in their review scores

31. SwiftRanger

You can turn any score against any gamessite ever, EG gave Planescape: Torment a measly 7 and later 8/10 too, burn them! Same counts for the US sites, you’ll always disagree with some reviewer.

Spore’s definitely worth something between an 8 and a 9 imo, played it for four days straight, half of that without the Sporepedia.

Dunno about Fable II, sounds like Lionhead’s first classic then although it seems like the 10′s are flying out pretty fast lately.

32. No_PUDding

This seems to be the only 10 it has got, aside from G4′s review. Which is out of 5/5.

But people may have noticed the G4 site is plastered with Fable 2, much in the way this site was with Far Cry 2.

33. Blerk

Christ, what is it about a game getting a top-notch score that brings out the conspiracy theorists?

34. No_PUDding

Sorry but game advertisement on a site is not a conspiracy theory. It’s tried and tested way of helping a game along it’s way critically.

I am not saying Eurogamer were persuaded, they are just Eurogamer.

35. mightyhokie

I have preordered it (I’m in the States) and they had the midnight launch last night. Since I work in the morning and go to bed at 1, I decided no to go since I know I would have stayed up until 6am playing the thing. It would have been torture. I’ll get it today. I’m stoked.

As for reviews, even if it is ‘only’ an 8.5 and not a 10 it will still be worth playing. If it is as fun as the first one it will be worth playing. I know it is better than that, though. I’m stoked!