Epic working on “major expansion” for UT3

Monday, 20th October 2008 19:57 GMT By Patrick Garratt

unrealtournament3.jpg

Epic boss Mark Rein’s told Eurogamer that the developer is currently working on a big content update for Unreal Tournament, and that Midway will remain the series publisher for now.

“Midway is still very much the publisher of Unreal Tournament 3,” said Rein.

“In fact, we’re working together on a major expansion to Unreal Tournament 3, that we expect will excite and grow our UT3 customer base which, incidentally, now numbers over a million units sold-through world-wide.”

More through the link.

1. Robo_1

I play this a lot on PS3, so this is welcome news :)

2. brennan40

I really hope they work on the Single Player storyline of the game.
    Being a big UT fan, I know the main focus was always the multiplayer aspect. But to draw in more players and increase the numbers playing online, they need to target Single Players or drop the price of their game as an incentive.

3. Gekidami

The imfamous PS3 splitscreen patch? Nah, i doubt this extra content will even see its way to PS3…

4. BrokenSymmetry

UT3 is my favorite online shooter of this generation, and I really don’t understand why it gets so little love. The Warfare, and the Vehicle Capture the Flag modes in the game are incredibly fun, and offer great opportunities for a thrown-together team to nevertheless show some tactical team-based play. Also, I adore the Stinger minigun in UT3.

5. Gekidami

Despite the game having alot of decent features i think people were exspecting more out of it, when it was released on PS3 its online was utterly broke (no idea if it still is, havnt played in ages), and the campaign was just bog-standard matches stuck together with fmv’s (seriously CTF as a lot element?), i mean this what made by the guys who did GeOW, and it turned out to be just some normal shooter. People wanted GeOW on PS3 and had some hope that UT3 would be just as good but it really fell short, only the fans liked and understood it, everybody else was just saying “WTF?”, then the 360 version came out but that didnt really do much for it either.

6. Hunam

I personally think UT3 is the weakest game of the series by a long shot. The focus on vehicles was a bad choice as the pure shooting and levels for DM have suffered. They really need to step back and re-think there whole approach.

As for an addon. Well, there are loads of maps online built by the community to a very high standard that kinda pushes the question of, is it really worth it?

7. MesserWolf

I think that the game-format of UT is outdated … only few hardcore fans are left .

8. Gekidami

Indeed, high speed FPS’s with unrealistic weapons are starting to fade, only Halo is really tolerated these days.

9. David

I think the game would of played perfectly fine if they just concentrated on what people loved about it.

Take Team fortress 2 awesome game on the pc played loads and loads. No vehicles in sight multiplayer FPS’s don’t need vehicles and most of the time I feel they just get in the way. Its only been a few games since the introduction of vehicles in FPS’s that have truly found a balance.

UT as a series I think can still be successful I just think they need to expand on it.

10. DUFFKING

I reckon UT3 is better than UT2003/4, primarily because I thought the gunplay in 03/4 was utter shit and the maps were awful.