New Resistance trailer shows shooting, bumped graphics

Friday, 17th October 2008 22:41 GMT By Patrick Garratt

resistance2a5.jpg

After the break. Unless our memory’s leaking, this does look significantly “better” than the first game in terms of visuals. And you get to shoot a giant monster thing in the face, which has to be good.

See for yourself. No date yet for Europe.

1. ecu

It looks decent. I’m glad that it’s a lot less brown/grey than the previous game.

2. No_PUDding

To me it looks stunning… Technically.

But it also still looks as if there’s absolutely jack shit of an art direction.

It’s a shame, the first one was far more cohesive, but this one can’t make it’s mind up what the fuck the Chimera are.

Although parts of that are eerily and awesoemly reminscent of the pre alpha RFOM gameplay they showed, which is cool. Everythign human has great artistic direction, it’s just everythign chimera, specifically the creatures that screw it up.

They should hire me as artistic director becuase they clearly don’t have one of those.

3. G1GAHURTZ

Did somebody say Half Life 2?

4. Smartypants

I agree with the PUDdingMeister – technically stunning, shit art direction. Still looking forward to it though, 8-player co-op mode sounds like a blast!

5. Esha

This is very likely going to be a sleeper hit, and whilst the Chimera might look fairly random in some ways, it’s still possible that there’s a plot reason for that. I wouldn’t exactly dismiss games-development pedigree like Insomniac without giving them the chance to prove themselves first. They’ve had a constant hit record after all, and since their earliest releases.

And no offense Gigs but no, it’s not really like HL2. It just has a base resemblance to pretty much any recent post-apocalyptic shooter, it’s hard to differentiate in that case, and you could say the same thing about Fallout 3. The statement you’ve made there is the same old tired flamebait that I’ve heard from every unimaginative X-Box fanboy since the dawn of Resistance. It’s time to find something new, eh?

6. Smartypants

Well, the first game was a bit shit but I have to admit that R2 looks very promising. Like I said, crap art direction (and not just on the Chimera) but technically very impressive. It also looks like a lot of fun to play, and that’s what most important.

7. Gekidami

I’m surprised there was no mention on here of the beta that went live 2 days ago…

8. G1GAHURTZ

@ Esha

Nah, it definitely looks like Episode 2, no flamebait intended.

Watch this and tell me you disagree

9. Gekidami

… Could you point out what exactly looks alike in those 2 trailers… Other then them being both for FPS’s…

10. G1GAHURTZ

You seriously can’t see it?

It’s obvious to me.

11. Gekidami

Hows about some examples?

12. Smartypants

WHO CARES?

13. G1GAHURTZ

14. Funkyd

Even if they do look similar (which they don’t, you idiot), then is that even a bad thing?

15. Psychotext

I can see similarities for sure, but it’s not a bad thing.

One thing I have noticed though… that engine handles outdoors far better than it handles indoors. I’m yet to see an indoor vid that has impressed me.

16. David

I remember seeing similarity with halo 2 and killzone 2 but its hardly something to get up in arms about.

FPS’s are bound to have some similarity’s nothing is new at the end of the day just redone.

17. G1GAHURTZ

I wasn’t commenting that it was a bad thing at all.

Actually, if it turns out to be even half as good as HL2, then it will probably be one of the games of the year.

I was simply stating that it looks incredibly similar in scenery and style, which it does.

But yes, of course, looking similar doesn’t necessarily make it a bad game.

18. BartonFink

So Resistance was a bit shit now?
    /confused
    When did that happen?

Anyhew looks great and if it’s even a bit better than the first one I will be very happy indeed.

19. Quiiick

“Ok, the forest, the abandoned city, the style of the buildings, the aliens, the flying pods, the gunships, the mankind on the brink setting, etc.

Even two scenes (one with the kids park and one where he shoots from behind a car) look like exact parts from HL2″

Bullshit!
    Apart from both being FP-Shooters there’s no similarity! Especially not in art-direction. It’s like saying Goya and Picasso look the same. They’re both spanish, but that’s about all you could say they have in common.

20. Smartypants

Ok so maybe I should have said ‘mediocre’ instead of ‘a bit shit’. However, the sequel is looking far more promising and it wouldn’t surprise me if it ended up being far better than Killzone 2.

21. David

don’t you mean greyzone 2 at least this has some vibrancy killzone 2 just looks bland in comparison.

22. Gekidami

“Greyzone”? So a games quailty is judged by its color tones…? No wonder so may people like Halo!

23. Syrok

For me colour is a factor. I still don’t like Halo very much though. :)

24. G1GAHURTZ

Quiiick, did you take the two eyes out of your head and put them in your username?

25. Psychotext

That’s actually fairly clever. :P

26. David

@Gekidami: Don’t like halo but neither do I like it when a game looks like a greyscale chart.

Killzone 2 might turn out to be a great game but from everything I’ve seen of it in trailers visually it bores me.

Resistance 2 doesn’t bore me so +1 to it

27. Shatner

At the risk of repeating myself: Based on the sheer variety of environment types in Killzone 1, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn if there were just as many varied environment types in the sequel. I’m not expecting it all to be grey – I’m just aware that, like many games, they are showing off one environment all the time.

Of course, you’ll get the “can do no right” pessimists that’ll say they should show off more but then, if they do, you’ll have more “can do no right” pessimists that’ll say they shouldn’t have shown so much and spoiled the surprise for the final release.

The “oh, it’s grey” argument is pretty shortsighted when you think back to (pretty much every) other games that get drip-fed media like this.

..damned if they do, damned if they don’t..

28. David

I prefer them to show some of the more interesting parts of a game. Just haven’t been impressed by Killzone as much as Resistance.

Personal taste I guess.

29. morriss

They both look a bit meh, tbh. But out of the two, Resistance looks sharper.

30. DrDamn

Quite looking forward to Resistance 2 for gameplay reasons. I liked the focus of the E3 showing on scale – I loves a bit of scale in FPS’s :).

What has been shown of KZ2 I like graphically. Specifically the way that limited colour is used to emphasise elements such as weapons fire, explosions and provide distinction between factions. It’s an artistic choice which for me works well – I understand it’s not to everyone’s tastes though. Think we have to wait a little closer to release when we will see more of the rest of the game. Gameplay wise I think I’ll prefer R2 as KZ2 looks like it could be a bit horribly CoD-scripted for my liking.