American Resistance 2 beta gets underway, game goes gold

Friday, 17th October 2008 09:21 GMT By Patrick Garratt

resistance211.jpg

As reported by the US PS Blog, the Resistance 2 beta has now started, available only to those who pre-ordered the game through GameStop or subscribe to Qore.

In addition, SCEA’s confirmed that the game is complete. From the post:

The Beta will include competitive maps from three locations in the game. These maps include 60-, 40-, and 20-player maps from Orick, 40- and 20-player maps from Chicago, and the 10-Player map Sub Docks (Bay Area). New modes Skirmish and Core control will be supported, along with Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. The co-op portion of the beta will focused on Orick, and will support randomization of your play-path. Both co-op and competitive will support matchmaking and class/character progression up to level 10. This will allow unlocking of new equipment, upgrades and berserks for character customization.

Lots more through there. Still waiting on confirmation of a start date in Europe.

1. Doomsayer

Is it just me but where is the hype and all the glory for this game? Im actually waiting for this but its pretty damn silent for a might be AAA Game which will be released in a few days.

2. G1GAHURTZ

I think Sony have spent all or most of their hype budget on LBP…

3. Psychotext

Writing was on the wall for it really. Resistance was always going to do well as a launch title, but give it a chunk of heavy duty competition and I’m not sure people are going to go back to it in great numbers.

4. Blerk

It’s weird. There was tons of hype about it six months ago, now it’s nearly here and… sod all. Bizarre. Motorstorm 2 too.

5. David

This is a rent for me I just don’t see anything from all the articles and videos I’ve read of it that warrants a purchase.

6. Esha

I suspect that up until right before the release, most of the hype for this will be generated by fans. I do wonder what Sony’s doing with their marketing though…

I’m surprised that there’s been no concern shown for Insomniac, because they’ve always been amazing, pretty much everything they’ve released has been a cult classic and generally revered by different gaming groups. I’d be very surprised if that wasn’t true of Resistance 2 as well because this goes beyond the silly Console Wars™, they’ve always been a strong developer and the current climate shouldn’t change that.

7. Blerk

I do still think that this will be Sony’s biggest seller this Christmas.

8. G1GAHURTZ

What, bigger than LBP!?

…and you think I’m mental!

9. Blerk

Yes. Much bigger than LBP. Gamers fear change.

10. David

LBP will sell well but the question that will be answered soon is will LBP be a system seller ?

11. Psychotext

Yeah, R2 will outsell LBP.