GTA: San Andreas confirmed for Xbox Originals

Thursday, 16th October 2008 07:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gtasanandreas.jpg

Microsoft’s confirmed GTA San Andreas for release as an Xbox Original.

The game will hit Xbox Live next Monday, October 20, and will cost 1,200 MS Points.

Plenty more info through the link.

1. Blerk

I’d have preferred the original GTA3. Why this one first and not that or Vice City?

2. cachucha

what he said ^

3. patlike

I’ve never played this. It never appealed, for some reason. Played the first two a lot, though. I’m betting this hasn’t aged especially well.

4. pleasant_cabbage

I think SA is pretty great.

Sure it was a little too sprawly/rpglite-y/gansta-y (although the hood vibe did tone down after a while) but it also had loads of nice wee toys to play with.

If you liked the first two I can’t see why you wouldn’t get some good mileage from somewhere in this too.

5. Blerk

It’s a really good game. It was just my least favourite of the three.

6. Tonka

Is this why they gave up on the BC?

7. Psychotext

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is on the list of Microsoft xbox games that will run on the Microsoft Xbox 360.

There you go Tonka, I edited. Happy now?

8. Tonka

With what? GTAII?

PPPWWWWOOOOOOAAARRRRRRHHH!!!

9. Psychotext

?

10. Tonka

Surely it’s the hardware that’s backwards compatible. Not the games.
    (And yes, semantics are the foundation of understanding)

11. Smartypants

The xbox360 is backwards compatible with the xbox version of GTA:SA, the xbox version of GTA:SA itself isn’t backwards compatible with anything. That’s what Tonka means, and yes, it’s not funny at all.

12. Psychotext

Poor form Tonka. Pedantry has a new home!

13. pjmaybe

Quite like this, and it still looks reasonably good for an Xbox game. Worth 1200 points most definitely, but bear in mind you can pick up copies in GAME preowned for mere pence now…and they’ll run just as nicely unless you’ve got a real stonk-on to run stuff straight off your HD (which would definitely improve the game’s response times a bit for those parts where it’s constantly thrashing your 360′s DVD drive to bits)

14. Blerk

But you’ll be able to install it yourself from November 19th, remember. :-D

15. Tonka

Tut tut grasshopper. You should thank me for letting my wisdom shine upon thee.

16. Axle

So this is the GTA IV DLC then . . . .

17. Shatner

Awesome game. It was the game that made my love GTA. And far less dripping in ‘gangsta’ than most people’s memories would have you believe. The dozens of me-too car games that popped up afterwards did that damage.

Rockstar certainly get their mileage from their re-releases though. Their best set was their entire PC catalogue in one $60 bundle on Steam at the start of the year. Good times.

18. pjmaybe

@Blerk

Oh aye? So you can install Xbox 1 stuff as well as 360 stuff? Didn’t realise that…that’s a very nice feature.

Guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and buy a bigger 360 drive at some stage. Gulp!

19. Blerk

Actually, now that I’ve said it I can’t find any proof. But I’m sure I’ve read that somewhere.

20. pjmaybe

I can see how easy it would be to do it, I mean you’re effectively dling Xbox originals from the store and sticking ‘em on the HD. Just wondered how they’d got around you borrowing other people’s disks to do so…

21. Blerk

Well, same thing as the 360 games, I guess – you need the disc in the drive to actually start the game up.

22. morriss

There’ll be generic crack for every 360 game to DL onto a DVD drive within 6 months, I reckon. MS entering a world of piracy pain.

23. reask

I am going to have buy a bigger drive 20 gig is no use any more.

24. Johnny Cullen

I wanna get this next week but with Far Cry 2 next week, I dont think it’s gonna happen.