Konami “actively looking” at MGS4 on 360

Tuesday, 14th October 2008 20:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

metalgear4.jpg

Japanese investment research firm MorningStar has published a paper from TGS quoting a Konami rep saying the firm is looking at moving MGS4 to 360.

We did actually tell you about this in July, but there we are.

“We’re actively looking into a release for the Xbox 360,” the spokesperson apparently said.

Obviously, this sort of flies in the face of Hideo Kojima’s constant claims that the game isn’t possible on the Microsoft machine because it doesn’t have Blu-ray.

We’ll put it another way: “Would you like $500 million, Konami and Microsoft?”

More on IGN.

1. DaMan

Impossible. this game has to be completely redone for x360.

who was that spokesperson, Greenberg in disguise?

2. Psychotext

Completely re-done? Hell, they even split up the game into disc sized chunks ready for the 360. :D

3. Robo_1

Even if this is true, the fact that they’re only “looking at it” now, would suggest any sort of release would be at least a year away, and that’s being generous.

Fair play really, the game has done pretty much all it’s going to do for PS3, and by the time it does come out on 360, PS3 will be getting stuff like God of War 3 and Uncharted 2, so I think it’s status as a “system seller” will be greatly reduced, whilst enabling it to reach a wider audience. Although if anyone remembers MGS2 hitting Xbox, the quality of the port will certainly be thrown into question.

4. Psychotext

I doubt the original will ever hit the 360, maybe MGS4: Succulent or whatever.

5. ecu

They kinda missed the boat though, didn’t they? Nobody will care about it, just as how nobody cares about the PS3 getting year old 360 games.

6. DaMan

MGS4 isn’t just a ‘year old game’..

anyway, I call bullshit.

7. mortiferus

Anything is possible, besides all the the uncompressed audio/video can be compressed or reworked. In game engine-wise it it definitively doable on 360. But honestly after playing it, ahhh I’m just indifferent to it. It really did not draw me in.

8. Psychotext

Audio wasn’t uncompressed in MGS4. Was just standard Dolby.

9. Soong

Meh. Over-hyped, disappointing game. I fell asleep during the final cutscenes, they went on and on FOREVER and it was sooo BORING.

10. Tonka

The game is already split up in disc sized chunks isn’t it? Instead of taking a nap while the PS3 is installing stuff to your HDD you get up and swap discs.

I bet the 360 version will be faster, prettier and have working on-line gameplay from day one. Bet it will sell more to.

11. Blerk

Are the people here who are saying it’d be too little too late buying Bioshock on Friday? :-)

12. David

@Blerk: If you’ve never played bioshock before then get it. But most people have so the extra content just seems pointless.

13. Blerk

You miss my point, I think.

14. David

Didn’t really see a point to your post unless you were referring to a post above you.

:P

15. Shatner

His point was about hypocrisy. And if you, by your own admission, didn’t really see it then Blerk’s claim about you missing his point is correct.

I love the reaction to stories of PS3 stuff potentially heading to 360. The u-turn in attitude to whether the thing in question was any good is always hilarious.

Also: Bioshock is average at best.

16. Tonka

You are both wrong.

17. David

@Shatner: We know you don’t like bioshock but I don’t think many people have said MGS4 was crap…….

Just the same with regards to LBP I don’t know any 360 owner I actively talk to that has said its crap. Most are interested in getting PS3′s for it.

18. ecu

No, I played it a year ago on the 360.

19. morriss

Shatner is average at best. ;)

20. Shatner

I liked Bioshock enough to complete it. But it was all smoke and mirrors. The actual gameplay was paper thin, themeatically it was broken, the setting was underused but most people were distracted by the art-deco smoke and mirrors and enjoyed the game. Good for them. Second coming of narrative gaming? No.

Many people have said MGS4 was crap. In my experience they’ve generally been detractors the the series anyway. Which is fair enough. Franchise installments don’t often go out of their way to radically change things in order to scoop up new fans. (Although, to be fair, MGS3′s cold-war gadgets were interesting and cool and the FF series usually makes one or two significant core mechanic changes each iteration).

Franchise installments are pretty much: If you like this sort of thing then this is the sort of thing you will like.

I love whole absurd/serious yin/yang-ness of MGS so I’m happy with MGS4.

I wonder if they’d have legal/licensing issues with running the flashback at the start of Act 4 on a non-Sony platform though. Heh.

21. Shatner

And after I call you ‘special’ morriss?

Aww.

22. morriss

I wasn’t easily fooled by Bioshock, I loved it for what it was. I love the MGS series too, and heartily agree with those who say it wasn’t that great.

23. Shatner

Hmm. I refer you back to your “adequate reasoning” claim of a few days ago.

Not that you’ll ever be right about MGS, of course. But just as a way of underlining your wrongness in red, so to speak. :P

24. morriss

I thought it was laboured and hackneyed for the most part. It was MGS HD. Pretty much the same as people criticised Halo 3 for: it was fan(boy) service. Nothing revolutionary apart from the camo-system, which was very cool indeed.

25. Shatner

That camo system was a dumbed down version of what was in MGS3.

As for laboured and hackneyed. Those are MGS traditions.

Still, it’ll be awesome on 360, I’m sure. :P

26. morriss

See? Fan(boy) service. An excuse and reason for every negative. :P

And of course, the 360 version will be superior in every respect.

27. Shatner

Fan(boy) service? I refer you to my observations on franchise installments in videogames as standard.

DO try to keep up.

28. morriss

I can’t. You move to fast.

29. pleasant_cabbage

I loved MGS4 for some reason and wouldn’t mind a MGS4: Succulent appearing on the 360. Some new features, VR, enhanced online. Full of win.

30. Tonka

Am I the only one who suspects that morriss is Shatners sock?

31. morriss

We am Shatner.

32. Tonka

It was MGS HD. Pretty much the same as people criticised Halo 3 for

Except Halo 3 wasn’t HD. Couldn’t resist…

guilty smily

33. morriss

hehe

tooshay

34. Shatner

My sock? Sorry, no. I wouldn’t put my foot anywhere near morriss’ mouth. Besides, his own foot seems to be permanently stuck in there.

35. morriss

It’s like 10,000 spoons.

36. Shatner

Only 10,000? You can get 55,356 on a Blu Ray.

37. G1GAHURTZ

I played the demo of MGS on my PS1 years ago.

I haven’t touched any games from the series since.

Didn’t like it then… can’t see why I’d like it now.

If this game comes out for the 360 some time towards the end of 2009 or maybe even in 2010, I don’t see why anyone should care.

If Gears of War (the first one) comes out for the PS3 in 2 years time is anyone going to rush out to buy it?

I seriously doubt it.

Give us MGS5 Konami and I might consider buying it.

38. Psychotext

Tonka: Amusingly, neither was MGS4 (HD that is)