Blizzard: We’re not milking StarCraft

Tuesday, 14th October 2008 07:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

starcraftii5.jpg

Speaking to Edge, Blizzard PR chap Bob Colayco has said that the firm isn’t trying to exploit StarCraft II by releasing it in three parts.

From the interview:

Some people say that the decision to release StarCraft II as a trilogy is a sign of Activision flexing its muscle over Blizzard—to “milk” the StarCraft franchise. Is the trilogy format related at all to the Activision merger?

No, absolutely not. [Activision] does not play a factor at all. One of the things that [StarCraft II lead producer] Chris Sigaty was saying in interviews this weekend is that we had always planned to do two expansion packs for StarCraft II. This structure just reshuffles how we were going to do things.

Just to give you some context, typically with Blizzard RTSes, we release a single-player campaign that gives players just a taste of each race. The original StarCraft had 10 missions each or so for Terrans and Protoss. When we released the Brood Wars expansion pack, there was another eight or so missions for each of the missions.

All we’re really doing is reshuffling how players are going to experience the single-player content. In StarCraft II, we’re going to have a campaign that focuses strictly on the Terran. It’ll be 26-30 missions long, and you’ll play as Jim Rainer. When we release first expansion set, that’s going to focus on Zerg. So that’s going to be another 26-30 missions strictly focusing on Zerg. When we go to the final expansion pack, it will be the Protoss experience, probably another 26-30 missions.

I think the readers aren’t understanding that there’s a full, gi-normous single-player campaign experience in each of these three products. Instead of getting all three race experiences at once, to make it a more epic experience, we’re focusing on one faction per entry for the single-player.

So there we are. More through the link.

1. Esha

I had wondered about their approach, to be honest, which is why I wasn’t ready to call this diddling. I can usually smell diddling from a mile away (hence my hatred of content-removed-from-final-game-to-sell-later DLC), and something seemed off about this in that it wasn’t obviously a milking.

If they really wanted to diddle, I suppose they’d have given all three races a somewhat neutered experience, and then built upon each three with stuff that’s obviously better with each coming expansion. That’d be going for a DLC-like approach because each expansion would be making the game one bought previously feel more complete.

As it is though, when one buys one of these expandalones, all the stuff that’s in there won’t change regardless of what gets released. Players know they have the final product for that faction, they know that they won’t have to adapt their tactics a little while down the road because they’ve only been given the “opener” units first.

So Blizzard has my trust, for now. This is one way they can go about this without it looking like diddling, it might be at the end of the day but they’re managing to avoid my rip-off radar with new tactics. They seem genuine enough though.

I’ll be interested to see how this plays out.

2. airdom

I still think that Activision is spreading its money milking diseases around.

3. El_MUERkO

i’ll be curious to see what users get in dawn of war 2, content could become a selling point

4. Hunam

Still doesn’t resolve my ‘overstays it’s welcome’ concerns.

5. asdfghnbvcxz

Before I start, heres my premise: “Starcraft is a complete game when 3 races are represented and playable to the same extent in multiplayer AND singleplayer”

SCII therefore is NOT a standalone game. They’ve used this word ” standalone” to trick us in thinking that we’re getting a complete game.
    Although its milking, but personally thats not why I’m pissed; I don’t have problem with $. (I’ll explain later why it ABSOLUTELY IS milking later…)
    More importantly, if you consider my premise above, I’m pissed because I won’t be able to EXPERIENCE STARCRAFT. PERIOD. I’m simply against the idea of waiting for 2nd and 3rd campaign to come out.
    They said they’ve “always” thought of having expansions to SC2. I smell bullshit. I think they just came up with that sentence when preparing for this announcement. 2nd and 3rd so called “expansions” are really pieces of ONE puzzle. Broodwar WAS an expansion. If it was never announced to be released, if it never existed, no one would be complaining because we won’t be waiting for something;
    Now, however, we WILL be waiting for the 2nd and 3rd part because ONLY THEN will we have experiences STARCRAFT.
    Now the milking part: some say “oh its not milking! multiplayer will feature all 3 races!” Actually, they said that 2nd and 3rd releases will have some changes (new units etc) to the multiplayer and people with the first release WON’T be able to play with people with 2nd release. Now….they know that everyone will be like “but but…I dont wanna sit around and play with losers! I wanna play the new multiplayer!!” So therefore, its not just the campaigns, it’s the multiplayer aspect that they’ll use to get $$.

Bottom line: Release everything at once, no matter how long it takes. For me personally, it’s not the $$ that bothers me, it’s the insult to the fans by suggesting that the first 2nd and 3rd release is “standalone” when its REALLY 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3.

And just for the fun of, and because I’m pissed, I hope those torrent guys get busy when 2nd and 3rd come out. Actually, since I don’t play multiplayer, i’ll probably be downloading the first too, and encouraging others to do so as well.