Yoshida: We want 360 to succeed in Japan

Friday, 10th October 2008 14:58 GMT By Patrick Garratt

shuheiyoshida2.jpg

Speaking to EG at TGS, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida’s said the firm wants 360 to do well in Japan as success for the opposition will help switch the Japanese public onto HD gaming.

“I like to see people here in Japan showing interest in high-definition gaming and more sophisticated gaming experiences,” he said.

“In terms of realistic-looking graphics and smarter AI, they haven’t really shown the appetite for what this generation of gaming can offer. I’d really like to see both PS3 and 360 succeed here.

“What Microsoft is offering and what we are offering are closer, compared to what other platforms are offering. Because of that commonality, the new games coming out on 360 and PS3 help to get consumers more interested in this generation of gaming.”

There’s a full interview through the link. Thanks, GI.

1. JPickford

MS have a new quote for the 360 box

2. Blerk

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Until my enemy is vanquished, at which point all bets are off.

3. Soong

I can’t imagine how confused fanboys all over the internet must be right now.

4. Doomsayer

Maybe Yoshidasan has a hidden 360 in his office ;)

5. patlike

That’s it. He’s just saying this because he wants to play more radical JRPGs. I bet he’s got the Halo 3 limited edition as well.

6. Doomsayer

Quite a strange change in pr strategy for sony if you ask me. But at least way more friendly as we are used to.

7. Johnny Cullen

He doesn’t mean that XD

Surely not XD

Right now, it’s more proof that Sony are banking on Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet to be a huge success compared to Fable II or Gears of War 2, most particularly LittleBigPlanet being the eggs in Sony’s basket and having a look at the link below…

It seems to be paying off…

8. Doomsayer

Yeah LBP is a nice game but are you really sure there is a audience for it? I am in the beta and i think its really a nice game but i guess im just a little bit too old for lbp (im 29 btw) and for the casual gamer i think its too complicated to create own levels or understand the game mechanics. But we will see how good it will perform…

9. Psychotext

A big gulf between critical success and success in the stores. But I wish the game well, hope it gets mainstream attention.

10. DrDamn

The full interview is well worth a read. This guy is very, very good for Sony.

11. Robo_1

I must admit, LBP is getting more and more interest from my non-gaming friends. One of them asked if I’d got it yet, as they wanted to see how it worked.

From the inside looking out, I can’t see how LBP is going to be a huge success at converting people to PS3, but it seems that from the outside looking in, it’s quite a compelling title.

12. patlike

DD – Yep. He’s a very sharp cookie.

13. Johnny Cullen

He may be a sharp cookie, yes.

But he sort of gave the game away here with the final sentence…

“Some time in the next year, we’re going to find the right place to announce those games we haven’t been able to announce.”

DAMNIT, TGS IS ON YOUR FUCKING FRONT DOOR! ANNOUNCE ZONE OF THE ENDERS 3 OR TEAM ICO, YOU BASTARD! =(

I prefer Phil Harrison =(

14. Withnail

You only have to look at the software output from SCEA during his time there to know that this guy knows his onions. His promotion to the worldwide job was well deserved.

15. Panipal2005

I had a pet theory that Sony were deliberately ‘throwing’ the conferences this year because they were somehow too scared to win over Microsoft. I’m shocked that Yoshida just came out and confirmed my theory =|

16. mightyhokie

Did he get his degree from the Peter Molyneux School of Public Relations?

Honest, but not wise.

17. Blerk

I love the “Sony were deliberately throwing the conferences” theory. I’m sure that’s exactly what it was. They knew their line-up was TOO GOOD to show to the public. They showed it privately to a few banks and look what happened there!

18. ecu

Sony jus’ chillin’. They’s cool, they’s cool.

19. DrDamn

So Sony show stuff way too early and get lambasted. Hold it back like they should … and get lambasted. I don’t get the comments about this guy being weak or not wise at all. He is doing all the stuff Sony should have done from the beginning. Concentrate on the games, concentrate on your strengths, show stuff when it is ready.

His appointment will pay huge dividends.