Morhaime: “Good argument” that Diablo III may work well on console

Friday, 10th October 2008 20:41 GMT By Patrick Garratt

diabloiii17.jpg

Speaking in “an interview” at BlizzCon, Blizzard boss Mike Morhaime has said Diablo III will be evaluated as to whether or not it can work on console as development goes ahead.

“Every game we have the discussion about which platforms make the most sense,” he said, as relayed by Shacknews. “As Diablo III takes shape, I think we’ll do an evaluation.”

“I think there is a pretty good argument to be made that that type of game might work very well on consoles,” he added. “There might be some technical limitations though that we might need to get past.”

More soon, hopefully.

1. Gamoc

I swear to God, they will make my CENTURY if they let me play this on my PS3. This is the only game I am looking forward to on PCs, if I can get it on my PS3, I will be happy for at least 5 years afterwards.

2. morriss

Without trolling, baiting or anything else, it’s quite obvious to me given how similar the two are, if it’s going to console, it’ll be 360, imo. If only for the Live intergration.

3. Gamoc

I know, but I can always dream – and Blizzard are cool, so it’s possible.

4. rainer

I wouldn’t count on the 360 only if D3 went to console, Blizzard even go to the trouble of Apple Mac versions of their games & they are not that keen on MS in general.

The folks on the Activision side of the fence would certainly be keen on having the game on consoles and on as many platforms as possible.

5. Soong

PS3 or 360, I don’t care but a console version would make me VERY happy indeed. I hate playing games on a PC (it’s a matter of personal preference) but I also want to play Diablo 3.

6. Esha

I’d like to see this on a console too, and to be honest I don’t think that Blizzard would make an exclusive choice if they released anything on consoles. Unlike some developers, they’re not into making enemies out of potential customers, and they’d do their best to make the best possible version for each format. It’s just something that they’d do, and I really hope that Activision hasn’t tarred that about them.

As for playing on a PC, unless it’s a real RPG (such as those built upon the Bioware engines and/or franchises), or some wonderfully silly indie game… I’m just not interested. I have to say that almost every game I play these days feels like it’s designed to be played on a console, and then opposedly playing it on a PC is a bit of a kick to the teeth because of that. I mean, if one knows one could be having a better experience elsewhere…

But yes, there are games that would generally just feel better on a console than on the PC, and I think Diablo is among them. Diablo is no Dragon Age in complexity, after all, it would fit.

7. Blerk

I see absolutely no reason why this couldn’t end up on both machines.

And if they make it, I will buy it. So make it. Now!