TGS: “Riled” Schappert goes on offensive against “innovation criticism”

Thursday, 9th October 2008 14:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

johnschappert.jpg

Xbox Live boss John Schappert has reacted sternly to accusations that Microsoft is a follower as opposed to a leader in the console innovation space, saying he finds the notion “ironic” and that he gets “riled” by the idea.

“The innovation criticism is almost ironic to me,” he told Eurogamer. “You’ve got the Xbox, which is the console that pioneered hard drives, broadband gaming, online gaming, Achievements and gamercards.

“It’s the console that arguably pioneered first-person shooters in your living room, wireless controllers… I could go on.

“I think we’ve earned our chops in terms of innovation. The games division has some brilliant people who have done amazing things, and who have shaped the industry forever. I think we’ve done a great job of innovating and we continue to lead.”

And don’t say Avatars are ripped off Miis, for God’s sake.

“With respect to Avatars – Miis are wonderful,” he added. “Nintendo has done great things.

“But Avatars are just a logical extension of what we’ve had already. We’ve had a gamercard and a gamer pic; I want to take that to the next level. Now we’ve got Live parties, we launched the first video store…

“So I get a little riled there. I think we’ve done some great things for the industry and for gamers.”

Plenty more through there.

1. patlike

I’m pretty sure I played DOOM and Turok on my N64. Just saying.

2. Quiiick

““You’ve got the Xbox, which is the console that pioneered hard drives, broadband gaming, online gaming, Achievements and gamercards. It’s the console that arguably pioneered first-person shooters in your living room, wireless controllers…”

Sorry, but I wouldn’t call THAT innovation!
    They helped in making these features popular but they did not invent them!

3. Quiiick

… apart from achievements and gamercards, which I really dislike.

4. cookiejar

Innovation in the console? No
    Innovation in some of the Games on it? Perhaps :)

5. DaMan

nice PR…

“It’s the console that arguably pioneered first-person shooters in your living room,”
    ORLY? what about GoldenEye.

wireless controllers… I could go on.”
    No you couldn’t..

I say fuck you, Schappert.

6. Doomsayer

Maybe someone should lend him his dreamcast, so he can find out about the online features this little beauty had back in the day ;)

7. Psychotext

Mmmm… PR spreak.

/stabs everyone

8. No_PUDding

cookiejar, I’d say no to that all the way.

Innovative in the console software, Achievements and Gamerscore, for sure.

But other than that, it’s proabably why I really do not want to support Microsoft this generation. There seems to be a shooter that’s really popular, but never anything actually innovative.

That’s Sony’s ground with their fecking weird games that select few people want to play.

9. JonFE

They surely innovated getting a hard disk in every Xbox – up to that moment people had to purchase expensive memory cards in order to store their saves…

…however they screwed things up by removing it from the x360 Core/Arcade – their second biggest mistake, IMHO, apart from the lacking quality control…

10. furianboy

Turok, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark disagree.

11. G1GAHURTZ

Maybe he meant to say: online FPS’s in your living room’, since nobody did that before Halo 2.

Or is someone going to tell me that there was some online budget FPS on the Jaguar or something??

12. Doomsayer

Maybe you forgot about quake3 on the dreamcast which was an online fps ;)

13. yupyup

The internet *never* forgets.

14. G1GAHURTZ

Oh man!

I knew someone would do that!

lol.

15. furianboy

The dreamcast was also the first to do Broadband gaming with the the add-on where you could swap out the 56k modem for an Ethernet jack.

And since nobody mentioned it, Gamecube was first with wireless controllers.

what else in that list hasn’t been picked though yet.

16. Esha

I like what PUD said, there. Microsoft are great at being behind things that lots and lots of people like, but they’re not really all that good at backing things which really do try to reach and grasp beyond the gaming norm. That’s why I back Sony, and it’s why I backed Sega back in the days of the Dreamcast.

I want to call it transgaming, but that’d be irreverently cheesy, and it’s trademarked.

I’m glad of pat’s first post there too, and a number of the ones that followed. I thought this would be another case where I’d be a lone crusader against the idiocy and the evils of the gaming industry today. This time, I’m actually glad to see that I’m not alone. Honestly…

Online is something the X-Box invented? As pat said, it was available on the N64, it was also available on the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was also responsible for one of the industry’s first console-based MMOs: Phantasy Star Online. Online gaming was borne of those roots, and it’s an affront to the pedigree of Nintendo and Sega who were truly responsible for these things.

I’m hoping he’ll try this again, I’m actually wondering what’s left. Will he try to claim that the X-Box (original) was the first console to utilise DVD technology? Will he perhaps argue that wireless controllers appeared first for the X-Box and were seen on no other console first? I’m just curious.

Again… I’m not hating, it’s just that this is the reason I can’t own an X-Box. I want to play Fable II, but to do so I’d have to shrug off all my pride and dignity. And no game is worth that.

17. furianboy

to a lot of people, by supporting the company that killed off the dreamcast in the first place, you’ve already shrugged off your pride and dignity.