Report: Manufacting contract awarded for external 360 Blu-ray drive

Wednesday, 8th October 2008 16:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bluraylogo.jpg

According to this X-bit Labs report, Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology Corp, a joint venture between Samsung and Toshiba, has been contracted to manufacture external Blu-ray drives for Xbox 360.

While the exact specifications of the product are unknown, it is rumoured that Microsoft aims at $100 – $150 price-point for the device.

TGS megaton? More through the link.

1. Syrok

Now, that would cause something on the boards around the web. :)

/hopes

2. patlike

If this is true, I fear for the internet as a whole.

3. XDamage

That would mean some nice royalties for the Blu-ray Disc Association. :D

4. Psychotext

I’ll post what I posted on another forum. Only more succinctly here:

lol

5. patlike

It would certainly liven up tomorrow’s keynote, anyway.

6. No_PUDding

Well they can eat their words if they want… But what will this achieve exactly? (assuming it’s in the 100-150 price range).

7. Psychotext

I don’t really see it as that big a thing. It’s nice for those that want a player but don’t want a PS3… but I can’t see it making that much difference to anything.

8. LeD

It’ll make a huge difference in my living room. I’m not that hot for LBP, FFXIII will be out for the 360, and I’ve not bothered with MGS4 or Uncharted yet as all my cash goes to 360 games. In fact, I’m only ever using the PS3 to play BRs.
    It’s the original 60GB with BC too, so I’m looking forward to selling it for a profit if this rumour is confirmed as fact.

9. mortiferus

Interesting… but quite honestly, the whole Blu-ray standard has not lit the world on fire even after the death of HD-DVD.

Consumers have not embraced it, PC makers are indifferent to it, The dics are too expensive, so on and so forth.

Nice to see MS adopt the standard, perhaps as a forerunner to 720 having it standard. But IMO the BR consortium really needs to push the format harder, and that does include lobbying MS, Apple and the movie studios to fully get behind the format. And for the love of god bring down the prices on the discs!

Also it is interesting that Toshiba is tapped to manufacture the add-on!

10. deftangel

Another shot is fired across the bows in the checklist wars…

11. Shatner

This could end up being quite comical. I’ll be looking forward to all those vocal 360 owners u-turning on their attitudes towards Blu Ray if this little nugget bears fruit.

Internetlol

12. reask

I can’t imagine it been a selling point for 360.

I Think MS should leave well enough alone.

Stand alone players are getting cheaper all the time.

13. Gekidami

Even before HDDVD went under the 360′s external drive wasnt selling, i really dont see an exsternal Blu-Ray drive doing anything for them.

14. scuz

360 owners pivot magically on a penny about their opinions of blu ray

15. reask

scuz said:

360 owners pivot magically on a penny about their opinions of blu ray

Wheres the movies for it. C’mon by the time it takes off BR players will be ten a penny.

16. No_PUDding

The benefit of it for the PS3 is that it can be used for games….

That’s all to me.

I haven’t bought a Blu-Ray yet, too expensive. Even if Blu-Ray died out, then the games would have stayed Blu-Ray.

17. wickedman

If it is external, my xbox has to be on all the time? when i watch a movie ?

18. Blerk

I don’t actually remember many 360 owners being negative about Blu-Ray for movies. Only about games.

Anyway, it’s a mini-megaton. Or it would be if I gave a shit about Blu-Ray movies. I don’t even own any DVDs. :-D

19. wickedman

so is this goign to be able to output at 1080p somehow?

20. Blerk

Your Xbox would have to be on while you watched a movie. It would probably output 1080p through an HDMI connection.

21. Psychotext

wickedman: Yes, your 360 would have to be on (it’s an addon player). As for 1080p, yes. It’s a requirement of the format.

Assuming any of this is true of course. It’s not the first time we’ve seen this little rumour. :)

22. wickedman

Thanks fellas!!

23. Soong

PS3 wins again!

24. morriss

What did it win?

25. Soong

Everything! Again!

26. morriss

Congrats PS3!!!

27. El_MUERkO

PS3 cant be here to collect the award but asked me to thank everyone for it, and give a big shout out to Jesus!

28. Psychotext