OXM gives Far Cry 2 9/10, calling it “this year’s equivalent of Assassin’s Creed”

Wednesday, 8th October 2008 18:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

farcry28.jpg

OXM’s next issue will contain the mag’s Far Cry 2 review, and it’s a nine.

“Far Cry 2 is this year’s equivalent of Assassin’s Creed… when it comes to enveloping the player in exotic sights and sounds, Ubisoft has absolutely nailed it,” says the piece.

“What separates Far Cry 2 from other shooters of this ilk is that there really aren’t any rules to follow.”

As for the much talked about map editor, “the custom map feature makes Halo 3′s editor look like a joke.”

On the game’s difficulty, the reviewer says that “it provides a truly refreshing level of difficulty for the hardcore.”

According to this CVG piece, the Official PlayStation Mag’s also give it a nine.

The review sounds glowing: “We’re in a massively exciting period for FPS games and, along with contemporaries like Mirror’s Edge, Bioshock and Fallout 3, this is an essential chapter in the new wave of shooters.”

PC Gamer has already given the game 94 percent.

Far Cry 2′s out on October 24.

1. Gekidami

“When it comes to enveloping the player in exotic sights and sounds”… So for visuals and sound its Assassin’s Creed, good, because everything else about AC was crap.

2. Psychotext

That comparison… is it a good thing or a bad thing?

3. LeD

You can tell OPM journos are of the same chav bunch as their readers. None of the games they mention are FPSes, or shooters.

4. Esha

I was thinking exactly the same thing, which worries me terribly.

I realise Assassin’s Creed was a good game, and an underrated game which I had a fondness for. But giving it 9/10 and saying “OMG, Assassin’s Creed REBORN!” as a basis of reference as to how good it is… well, that says yes, it’s pretty good but that hardly makes it game of the year material, does it?

It seems like the reviewer had the idea that he had to hype it up but his heart really wasn’t in it. “Well, I can’t compare it to that, it’s not as good as that… or that… or… wait, this is perfect! It’s this game reborn. Yes!”

@LeD

None of? So, Halo and BioShock weren’t shooters, per se? I can understand Fallout 3 being considered to be an RPG rather than a shooter though, and Mirror’s Edge definitely isn’t really a shooter. So… it’s a 50/50 thing.

As far as chavs… ouch. Not something I would’ve said, and I thought I was the professional curmudgeon around here. And that’s OXM, thank you kindly. OPM usually seems a bit more… educated.

5. Hero of Canton

It’s not this year’s Assassin’s Creed, because it’s not a ludicrously over-praised game whose graphical loveliness papers over its myriad flaws for some journos.

And it has more than one decent idea of its own. It’s a 9, but “this year’s Creed” is doing it a grave disservice.

6. Soong

Assassins Creed was a mediocre game – beautiful graphics, boring and horrendously repetitive gameplay. If Far Cry 2 is this year’s AC, then I’m cancelling my pre-order right now.

I had high hopes for this game and everything.

7. Shatner

Hang on hang on. They’re comparing it to Assassin’s Creed?

At no point have I seen JADE RAYMOND PIMPING THIS GAME.

Comparison=fail

8. huntersblades

October 24th is the day my bank account begs for mercy.

9. DaMan

“this year’s Assassin’s Creed”?!?!

I hope to god this isn’t true =((

10. cachucha

fail reviewer

11. Gamoc

Wait, it compared the immersion and sights to Assassin’s Creed, please pay attention.

I am rapidly becoming more interested in this game as time passes. Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure it releases on the same day as LBP, which means it will have to wait. For half a year (I’m completely broke).

12. Hero of Canton

No, because if it was doing that, it’d say that it offered the immersion of Assassin’s Creed but with much deeper, more thoughtful gameplay or something like that. Simply saying “it’s this year’s equivalent of Assassin’s Creed” and then talking about the immersion doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s only like AC in that respect. Take away the ellipsis and shove a full stop after ‘sounds’ and you might have a point, but that’s not how it reads up there.

13. El_MUERkO

how dare they curse FC2 so!

14. Soong

You have to admit, that’s one incompetent reviewer: he managed to kill any hype Far Cry 2 was slowly building up with a single sentence in a 9/10 review.

If he was paid by Ubisoft to write a positive review and hype the game up (I’m not saying he actually was) then Ubisoft should demand their money back a.s.a.p.

15. Gamoc

I don’t see why they would group two completely different quotes into the same quotation, I am assuming they mean it is similar to AC in immersion and sightseeing until I see otherwise.

16. Hero of Canton

I’m sure that’s exactly what it means. It’s just not particularly well-worded in that context (though it may make more sense in the full review).

17. deanimate

Far Cry 2 looks bloomin’ awesome! never played the first incarnation but i know number 2 looks the shizzle. if it really is a fully open world then thats kick ass.
    bring on the horse.