Molyneux lists Fable II imperfections, says he overhyped Fable I

Wednesday, 8th October 2008 15:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fable31.jpg

Speaking to VG247, Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux has listed a string of minor imperfections that niggle him about Fable II, saying previous statements about elements not being perfect in the game are merely borne from honesty.

“When someone says to me, ‘Are you completely happy with Fable II?’, I have to turn round to them and say, ‘I’ve got a list in my own head, and indeed on bits of paper, of things that fall below a bar in my head.’

“I wish we had two more bones in the top lip of each character so their mouths could form the words a little bit better. I wish they blinked more. I wish the sun’s God rays were a little less harsh in the early sunset. I wish the leaves were just fractionally smaller, because they tend to be a little bit large for trees,” he said.

“It’s a list of trivial little things where, perhaps if you bring them all together it brings down the game a fraction. And that’s what I mean by that. I don’t think anybody in this world, whether you be a reviewer or someone who’s [worked in the industry for a long time], can sit looking at Fable [II] and say, ‘That is a perfect game set in a perfect world.’ Because it’s not.

“And I don’t know many games that are, or any games that are. And this is me being quite open and frank and honest about it.”

The developer said he’s being open about what he perceives to be as faults with Fable II as he caused “hype” in the run up to the first game.

“I’m not a PR person,” he said. “I may seem like a PR person because I’m in the press a lot, but I’m not. And when people like yourself or fans ask me about the game, I try to be as honest as possible.

I think especially after Fable 1, where to a certain extent people were right in believing that I got too excited about the game and that excitement came through as hype. It wasn’t meant as hype, and obviously the result was hype, but I didn’t mean to be dishonest or anything like that: I truly believed what i was saying.

I think this time round, I need to be more balanced.”

Fable II ships on October 24.

1. Tonka

“I’m not much of a PR man”

2. Robo_1

I honestly don’t know whether to commend the man for his honesty, or laugh at him for his stupidity.

It’s one thing to sell the game as perfection incarnate, but quite another to publicly list the games faults, before it’s even shipped. It seems it’s all or nothing with the man.

3. Psychotext

I think any dev would be lying if they said they were 100% happy with anything they’d released. I know I never have been but in the real world you have to deal with budgets, deadlines and limitations.

4. patlike

I actually think it’s really refreshing to hear someone just say exactly what they think about their own output. God knows, few enough people do it.

5. DrDamn

Refreshing but dangerous. Plenty of people take the headlines from these sort of articles and run with them without seeing what the person actually said. The LBP controls being another recent example. Look at Peter’s list and see how many you actually care about.

6. Esha

I don’t mind him listing the problems, but what I dislike is him being apologetic about them and trying to minimise their impact with clever wordplay. What I’d prefer to see is him just hard-listing the problems, stating what they are, and then making a promise to fix as many of those problems post release with patches.

I wonder if this is why some developers are jumping ship from the PC, to be honest. Console users aren’t as accustomed to patches, and in many cases they’ll take what they buy as the final product.

Now if I see promises to patch things and uphold the patching ethos we’ve seen of some of the better PC devs of days past, that I would praise. I honestly would.

I know that this will just be seen as more negativity, but that’s how I feel about it and that’s all there is to it.

Edit: Some will note that I wasn’t as hard on the Media molecule man. But he did state a problem (and a bit of a subjective one at that), he didn’t apologise for it, instead he said that they’re going to work on that problem (patches). So… yeah.

7. Psychotext

He didn’t apologise. Just listed some imperfections.

8. JPickford

ā€œIā€™m not a PR person,ā€

He’s probably the most successful PR person in the history of the industry.

Is it me or does it sound like he’s expecting poor reviews for this?

9. No_PUDding

Me: *looks at Mark Healy*

Mark Healey: *takes notes*

10. Hero of Canton

I don’t think he’s expecting poor reviews so much as making sure he doesn’t raise the expectations of others too high. As was the case with Fable, which was generally well-liked but most people rated it as a disappointment bearing in mind what was planned for the game and didn’t actually make it. In other words, it was rated as much for what it wasn’t as what it was.

Coincidentally, I’ll be playing this tonight. I hope it’s as great as it looks.

11. Psychotext

Hero of Canton: Where do you live?!?

/gets in car

12. pjmaybe

Prob with PM is that he swings from this sort of self-deprecating bollocks right across to “godlike delusions of grandeur” in the space of a single interview.

Shut the f*ck up you old queen and get on with making decent games again, or at least getting a decent set of minions to do it for you.