Molyneux to Fable II reviewers: please play with non-hardcore gamers

Tuesday, 7th October 2008 07:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fable28.jpg

Peter Molyneux’s sent a letter to those reviewing Fable II in the US asking them to play the title with a person that “doesn’t play games” to see how they get on.

“I have a favour to ask you — we build this game not only to appeal to gamers like yourself, but to appeal to anybody,” he said. “So please, please, please, please, please find somebody who doesn’t play games, watch them play it and see how their world turns out, because I think it’s only when you see those differences that the unique experiences comes through.”

The developer also devoted two paragraphs to explaining that journalists won’t be able to review online co-op until it’s patched into the game, hopefully in the first week.

More on Variety.

1. morriss

Where’s our review copy? :)

2. patlike

Do we review games? :)

3. morriss

Yeah, good point. Oh well. Can’t have it all, I guess.

4. Tonka

I really like that picture at the top.

5. Blerk

I don’t like that one so much. Needs more graveyards and blazing-eyed zombie types.

6. patlike

I have a feeling the zombie graveyards will be secondary to the “world experience.”

7. Big Stu

Yes Peter, we get it mate.

8. Blerk

What?!

/cancels pre-order

9. Shatner

Surely if Peter wants non-hardcore to play his games he should develop for the Wii?

But Pete’s not a PR man, right?

10. Esha

/facepalm

I actually feel bad for him, now.

11. Whizzo

I think MS are probably wishing he’d keep his mouth shut.

12. Gekidami

Well this isnt a good sign, what exactly does he mean? That core gamers might not like it? Or that its better to watch then to play? Hum…

13. Whizzo

I think he means it’s crap, it sounds an awful lot like the nonsense that came out of Factor 5 when Lair launched.

Corrected to lay the blame at the right door.

14. No_PUDding

Reviewing guides aren’t a good sign.

EDIT: Factor 5 you dafty. Not Level 5.

15. Tiger Walts

I think he’s saying that while core-gamers will immediately understand and enjoy the medium, as expected, the casual crowd will also find it accessible. Even if they aren’t initially aware of any depth in the functionality.

At least, that’s what he should have said.

16. Psychotext

Interesting idea really. If the world really is affected by your actions doing something like that would certainly put it to the test.

17. No_PUDding

I still think it will review great. I mean, Fable was very fun, if you disregarded the PR mess that is the endearing creative director.

18. mightyhokie

Sorry, Peter. I’M the one going to hog this game.

I agree with Tiger, but I would like to go one step further. We hardcore gamers know how to go in and manipulate the worlds and environments to maximize our money/time investment. i think that someone who is not experience with games would not know how to progress a storyline that has multiple outcomes, or have preconceived goals. Hardcore gamers already have the jump on that kind of stuff. I think he would like to see the difference between a world crafted by someone who can do it somewhat purposely, and someone who just does stuff and discovers what happens. I think it is a cool thing that this game is that diverse, but once I get it I’m playing the crap out of it. no nubs will be hogging my game time!