“Huge” Far Cry 2 environments prevented co-op, says Ubi dev

Tuesday, 7th October 2008 12:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

farcry2a.jpg

The scale of Far Cry 2, as well as the fact the game’s engine was a proprietary affair, prevented the inclusion of co-op in the upcoming shooter sequel, VG247 was told in London last week.

“The first thing was that the environment is so huge, and we pushed the engine really to the limit… the consoles to the limit,” said multiplayer producer Richard Gaetan.

“It was too big of a challenge at the time. It wasn’t a [pre-built] engine. It was a brand new engine that we built from scratch, from nothing, so it was already a big challenge to do this with dynamic loading, and everything.”

Far Cry 2 will ship with extensive multiplayer options, including a fully-featured map editor. Co-op will have to wait, clearly.

More from Richard later this week.

1. Blerk

I’m still surprised that the console versions have the map editor too.

2. No_PUDding

I don’t have a PC that can run Crysis stylee, but I wish this was PC exclusive just for the screens I could gawp over.

By the way, I think the game looks awesome and would be great fun, but is anyone else, a bit ‘meh’ about this title, it’s like we’ve not seen much of it and it’s all a bit meh becuase of it?

3. trav

I agree, it does look awesome from the screenshots, but I’m not overly excited about this.

More than likely because of the volume of other games coming out the same time, will more than likely wait until the new year for this.

4. No_PUDding

Exactly, you put that in words a lot better than me. It looks awesome, but there is nothign standing otu about it, and it seems to want to be GTA set in Africa in FPS mode.

5. Soong

Everybody that has already played it says it’s amazing. Make of that what you will.

I’m looking forward to the reviews.

6. Tiger Walts

I’m in the rapidly getting more interested camp. Mainly because I’ve been blinkered to its existence until recently. I love everything I’ve seen about the UI, especially the map.

7. Blerk

A lot of the stuff in the game looks really great. But as soon as the firefights start, I find myself wishing it wasn’t less of a shooter and more of an adventure.

8. morriss

Blerk, this morning.

9. Blerk

I’m happy enough with that. Captain Chaos was awesome!

10. Tiger Walts

It kind of makes me wish that Afrika used the engine, mainly because I’ve never seen a giraffe set on fire.