Deus Ex 3 stealth is “cover-based,” not in the shadows

Sunday, 5th October 2008 09:32 GMT By Patrick Garratt

deusex3.jpg

Following the publication of first solid Deus Ex 3 story details yesterday, an Eidos Montreal staffer’s added a few more tidbits in a mail to Voodoo Extreme, including confirmation that the light-shadow stealth system from the previous games has been dropped.

Deus Ex 3 is indeed an RPG. It’s a hybrid action/RPG just like the first game. There is a skill system where you upgrade your character (Adam) based off experience points you earn and you can do the same thing with weapons. It’s a game with a very detailed plot with numerous characters you interact with. The gameplay takes the form of a consequence-driven multi-path, multi-solution approach in a non-linear space.

For stealth, that is another major pillar of gameplay and we do have it. The difference is that it’s now cover-based rather than “shadow/light-based” as in the past games.

More through there.

1. Esha

I’m personally hoping the stealth system will be part technology-based as well.

Shadows and such made sense in Thief, but not in a futuristic Universe complete with motion detection, heat sensors, night vision, and all far more advanced than the rather rudimentary versions we have today.

So I’m hoping for cloaking technology which hides life signatures and is backed up by the player remaining still at the right times and hiding at the right times.

If it uses the wetware system of the first game, there’s hope for that. So I might just end up being optimistic about this.

2. ecu

Normally I’d complain about stealth stuff like this in games, but this is Deus Ex, so (assuming they balance the game properly), I can just completely avoid stealth and play it how I want.

I really hope they don’t fuck this up. And I really hope it’s not watered down like Deus Ex IW.

3. Telepathic.Geometry

I’m delighted to hear that this is an RPG, and I’m also encouraged by the stealth elements. Just like Deus Ex, you won’t be able to charge in guns blazing and balls on fire. I hope we are once again forced to decide whether we are more afraid of bio- or mech-enemies. ^_^

4. disusedgenius

Why can’t they do both? :/

5. ecu

Yeah you can, that’s the whole point of Deus Ex – you can play it how you like. I went through the whole of Deus Ex all guns blazing. Fuck stealth.

6. Gamoc

I was going to say what disusedgenius said, so I’ll just agree with him. Why can’t it be cover-based and lighting-based? Is it so strange that (human) enemies can’t see people in the shadows AND can’t see people around the corner?