Will Wright and Kotick donate funds to McCain

Friday, 3rd October 2008 15:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

According to this MCV piece, citing a Develop story, both Will Wright and Bobby Kotick have contributed to John McCain’s White House charge, while Strauss Zelnick and Sam Houser have spent money on helping Obama into power.

Didn’t know you were a right-winger, Will. We never forget, you know. Others:

Republican contributors:

• Will Wright: (Spore, The Sims) $3,000 to McCain; previously donated $2,350 to Giuliani
  • Bobby Kotick (Activision CEO) $2,300 to McCain; previously donated $2,100 to Romney
  • Curt Schilling (38 Studios) $2,300 to McCain.

Democratic contributors:

• Strauss Zelnick (Chairman, Take-Two) $2,000 to Obama; had previously donated to $2,500 to Edwards, $1,000 each to Biden & Richardson
  • Ben Feder (CEO, Take-Two) contributed $1,000 to Biden in 2007
  • Sam Houser (Rockstar) $4,600 to Obama
  • Patricia Vance (president, ESRB) $2,000 to Obama
  • John Riccitiello (CEO, EA) $4,600 to Obama
  • John Smedley (Sony Online Entertainment) $2,300 to Obama
  • Richard Garriott aka “Lord British” (Ultima series, NC Soft) $2,300 to Hillary Clinton
  • Alex Rigopulos (CEO, Harmonix) $32,900 to Obama
  • Kathy Vrabeck (president, EA Casual) $2,300 to Obama
  • Gabe Newell (pres., Valve) $2,300 to Dodd

1. sickpuppysoftware

There was I thinking the press regarding spore couldn’t get any worse

2. David

Thats why spore is all about creationism hes republican it all makes sense now. If he had told me that before the release of spore I wouldn’t of bought the shit game.

3. Quiiick

Good to see that Gabe Newell is on the right side too. Together with my heros John Riccitiello and Sam Houser.
    You regained my respect, Gabe! :)

@ David
    You’re correct. It all makes sense now!

4. G1GAHURTZ

Really??

I thought Spore was about evolution…

5. Blerk

I don’t agree with McCain’s politics, but his oven chips are pretty good.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Quickety Quick!

Micro Chips!

7. David

@GIGAHURTZ:

Will Wright wants you to think it is but its really creationism.

8. G1GAHURTZ

I’m struggling to see how, but I’ll just assume that this is a valid theory backed up by reasonable specualtion.

9. airdom

Im Canadian, so this doesnt affect me much. though the u.s economy is in a crisis, i give my vote to Obamarama!

holy crap. Alex Rigopulos gave a crapload of money compared to some other potentially very rich people! still, im sure that the candidates apreciate(kinda maybe…) the money thats being donated to them!

10. patlike

I think there’s a cap on how much you’re allowed to actually donate. I’ll check.

11. rainer

I’m pretty shocked/surprised for someone who is always keen on science like Will Right to donate to MCain especially with that VP of his Palin who’s itching to undermine evolution teaching in US classrooms.

Edit: Looking at the Giuliani donation I’m guessing Will is a bit of hawk when it comes to foreign policy which is why he went for McCain.

12. David

@GIGAHURTS:

If you play the game through each stage you can freely create your creature as many times as you want. At no point in the game does natural selection take place. I was actually just joking that he himself believe in creationism. More that the game doesn’t really deal with the evolutionary theory at any real point.

13. Panipal2005

Disappointing that so many of those contributors, the Housers et all, are the sort to be taken in by a cult of personality. You’d think people in the games industry would be smarter than that. No, they’re just like Hollywood bimbos.

14. Esha

That and Giuliani probably lost his credibility with all those 9/11 soundbites, why even the Onion did a piece on him.

I don’t think it’s safe for anyone to take him seriously anymore, really.

For those curious about my stance, I’d say I prefer Obama as the least of all evils.

15. ecu

It’s a split.

16. mortiferus

@ Panipal2005. I’ll take a cult of personality over Palin’s cult any day. She is dangerous! Especially in light of the fact that McCain may not last a full term given his age and prior medical history. He’s the walking dead, while she is a dangerous religious zealot who’s clearly stands against pro choice and evolution.

17. Panipal2005

Meanwhile, Obama and his band of Scientologists, sorry, Obamadroids rush round here there and everywhere trying to shut people up anyone who has a bad word to say about him. Methinks he doesn’t get how things work in the Free World. And you call PALIN dangerous? Hah!

18. mortiferus

@panipal2005

“Methinks he (Obama) doesn’t get how things work in the Free World”

Lol, and closet Bush, I mean McCain does? or that batty religous IdaHOan LOL. You sure are funny fella!

Listen, you vote for who you feel like. But, I’m voting to make a change and stop the 8 years of republican rednecks southerners flushing of America down the toilet!

19. Panipal2005

Yes thats right, dissing Obama so obviously means supporting McCain, who couldn’t support someone partially responsible for McCain-Feingold?

See, that’s the thing about Obamadroids, they’ve just completely turned their brain OFF to give their chosen messiah their full uncritical support. McCain helped author one of the most egregious assaults on free speech there’s ever been. Obama sets his blackshirts on anyone criticizing him in the media to get them silenced so you KNOW what he’s gonna be like if he gets into office. Obama’s actually the greater of the two evils because McCain doesn’t have a horde of uncritical dupes who are going to riot if Obama doesn’t get his hands on the levers of power.

Carry on ‘fair gaming’ me now, y’hear?

20. mortiferus

Oh Panipal2005, you dont even know where y’all stand now, lol.

Jack, Obama/Biden cannot be any worse than Bush/Cheney, nooooo not by a long shot only MCcain/Palin can have a shot at that.

Like I said before, I’m voting to make a change and stop the 8 years of republican rednecks southerners flushing of America down the toilet y’hear!

So Pani, change is coming, be ready for it, y’hear. lol

NUFF Said, The End. Back to Gaming.

21. Panipal2005

Why do True Believers, with their Palin Derangement Syndrome and their message of ‘Palin is a threat to Obama kill her with fire’ ravings, always demand to have the last word?