Team 17 boss cautious of DSi SD feature

Thursday, 2nd October 2008 21:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dsi13.jpg

Speaking to GI, Team 17 head Martyn Brown’s welcomed the ability to slot and SD card into the newly announced DSi, but has warned the feature may bring more widespread piracy to the platform.

“Adding an SD slot makes a bunch of sense for downloadable content given the way things are going,” he said.

“I just hope they’ve done something to counter the mass piracy that exists via the R4 on the Lite. It scares me that with an SD card input, that might leave it even wider open that it was on the original device.

More through the link.

1. ecu

Exactly. I’ve no doubt it’ll be cracked, and quickly. And I can’t see what they can do to stop it.

2. Psychotext

I don’t see how they could counter the R4 and the like… not without breaking all their old games in the process.

3. ecu

Yeah, I suppose. I’ve pirated a couple of DS games, I’m ashamed to say. It’s hard when it’s SO easy, and the files are so small. I tell myself I’ll buy the full game, but then I play it, finish it, and think “what’s the point?”

4. Gamoc

Surely it would be easier to combat piracy in the SD slot than it would be to combat the R4′s?

5. prodygee

They better use some encryption which gets better or changes after a period of time. Or you might need a connection to a wireless point to be able to play DS-Ware games.

6. damnationx11

You know, that’s an insult to homebrew… I doubt the original purpose of the R4 was for piracy… And also, I can garenty the Nintendo is going to have some sort of piracy protection, obviously, with the said SD slot. Most likely it’s going to either be to slow, or just not be able to boot said things that are on the card without having some sort of Nintendo purchased/downloaded verification, along with, obviously, the files won’t be booted in .nds format, they’ll probably use something entirely different (some other binary format). As well, remember, with the DSi, you’re going to most likely still be able to even use the R4, as it just uses the DS Card slot =