Sainsbury’s to sell 360 for £99 tomorrow

Thursday, 2nd October 2008 20:01 GMT By Mike

MCV is reporting the UK supermarket Sainsbury’s is slashing the price of the 360 Arcade model to £99.

In addition, the 360 60Gb is to drop from £169.97 to £139.97, and the chain is also cutting Wii from £179.97 to £149.97.

The offers will run from October 3-17.

By Mike Bowden

1. morriss

They’re nuts.

2. Psychotext

I already have the locations and opening times of my local Sainsburys. Gonna grab one for the bedroom. :)

3. morriss

If DK had the same deal, I’d do the same I think.

4. ecu

I’m tempted to get another, but I’d really prefer another PS3.

5. Psychotext

Morriss: No brainer really. Gets the missus off Zuma / VP on the big TV and upstairs into the bedroom (oooer?).

6. reask

Price war anyone?

7. BartonFink

That’s nucking futs!!

8. Psychotext

Win. I just picked up a new arcade and a 60gb. \o/

Word had got out obviously because as I was leaving people were turning up in numbers. Someone just after me bought two wiis and two arcades. :D

Oh, and yeah… prices are all as stated. £99 – Arcade, £139 – 60gb, £149 – Wii. 1 year in store warranty too, which although expected is nice to have confirmed.

9. morriss

Tell if your 60 Gb is quiet Psycho. Remember what I said about mine and how quiet it was? It’d be nice to know you think I’m not lying! :)

10. Psychotext

You said you’d record the noise once upon a time. YOU LIED! You thought we’d all forgotten didn’t you? WE NEVER FORGET.

VG247 Members – We’re like elephants, only with slightly shorter trunks.

11. Shatner

I go commando style FYI

12. Psychotext

Sexy! 8O

13. No_PUDding

Wow 99!?

It’s still not what I want to pay for Mass Effect, and I don’t want to pay for LIVE, so no Arcade either.

I know that sounds stingy, but there really isn’t much I want, and I don’t need another console.

14. Psychotext

Face it No_PUD… it could be £50 and you’d still be finding excuses. ;)

If I can pay £300 to play LBP you can pay £150 for Fable 2. :P

15. No_PUDding

Are you fucking serious?

Can’t believe you paid that much for LBP.

And believe me I wouldn’t be paying 99 quid for any one game. Let alone 300, you mad idiot. But the lineup on the way for the PS3, will hopefully satisfy you in addition.

All I can say is put it this way, if I didn’t own a PS3 I’d be buying a 360. I am making excuses, but I can tell you for certain that would be the case. But £150 is not worth Fable 2 and Mass Effect.

16. No_PUDding

£99 is amazing, this stuff will fly off the shelves.

Do you think it’s Sainbury’s who’s makign the decision or Microsoft?

And I just though, the PS3 isn’t £300 anymore, just get the 40gb.

EDIT: (just realised how extortionate the 80gb is)

17. Blerk

It was last time I checked.

18. No_PUDding

How is it that the $599 has coem down in America, but it hasn’t come down here effectively?

Blockbuster had a PS3 for £200 last summer, that’s when I boguht mine, and it’s a 60gb b/c one!

19. Blerk

Because Europeans were actually buying them.

20. No_PUDding

Hmm, Psychotext, don’t buy it… Let them drop.

That’s insane.

21. Psychotext

I am actually planning on waiting a bit for a better deal. I want at least a game, two controllers and the console for sub £300. Shouldn’t be too much to ask for.

22. Robo_1

If Sony can’t offer you that lot for 299.99, then they must be sleep walking through to Christmas.

23. Blerk

I’ve been expecting them to ‘add value’ ever since the 360 price drop but there aren’t any signs yet. Maybe next week during TGS? Doesn’t seem a likely place for Euro announcements, though.

24. No_PUDding

Blerk, could be a likely place for a worldwide price cut.

Or maybe they will wait until the NPD’s arrive to announce the price cut.

I am sure they HAVE to cut price this year.

25. Blerk

I really don’t think they will cut the price this year. Seriously. I think ‘added value’ is the best you can hope for.

26. Robo_1

I suppose the effects of the 360 price drop haven’t really been felt yet, aside from the traditional bump. I think if the figures strongly favour 360 going into November, Sony will either be adding a ton of value to the machine, or pull a u-turn on their no price cut stance.

I think their plan is to wait until they’ve got Cell down to a 45nm (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080207-ibm-shrinks-cell-to-45nm-cheaper-ps3s-will-follow.html) and then offer another 100 dollar price cut.

I’ve heard that they’re already asking developers what they think of more Cell for PS4. Going completely off topic, I think if they go down that path, we may be seeing PS4 a lot, lot sooner than anyone thinks, as it’s clear they’re on the severe back foot price wise this gen, and if they could start next gen with a 32nm Cell from the off, they’d be able to price the machine a lot more aggressively, and if they did indeed go with a 20 core cell (or something along those lines) then they wouldn’t even have to worry so much about getting a top end graphics card in there, as Cell can handle a good amount of graphics work itself.

On top of that, Blu-Ray drives will be a lot cheaper in 2 – 3 years, which would again, relieve a lot of the cost burdon PS3 has faced, and BC wouldn’t be much of a problem.

But aaaaanyway, 99 pound 360, that’s a good bit cheaper than the PS2 isn’t it?

27. No_PUDding

I’m not hoping for anything, I’ve already purchased mine.

It just seems sensible. And there is an announcement that Sony is making non-game related. As long as it’s not them discontinuing the PS3 then it’s got to be good.

28. Blerk

PS2 RRP is still £105. Which is pretty expensive for a machine that’s knocking on 9 years old. But I guess they’re still selling.

29. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, but they sell because the games are about a fiver each.

You could probably get a PS2 and about 20 boxed games for about £200, whereas £200 on its own might just about get you 4 or 5 PS3 games, never mind the console.

I recently recommended my friend to buy a PS2 when he asked me what console would be best for his young kids, so that RRP makes sense to me.