dtp unveils cyberpunk MMO, Otherland

Wednesday, 1st October 2008 12:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

otherland.jpg

Eurogamer’s posted first details of Otherland, a dtp-developed MMO based on the books of American author Tad Williams.

It’s out in 2010. As the site puts it:

Otherland takes place in a near future where the super-rich have their own private virtual worlds on the net, peopled both by AI, and unwitting humans who don’t know that what they’re experiencing isn’t real.

The screens look bonkers. Take a look.

1. David

This totally speaks to me :P can’t wait to play it

2. Tonka

I read two of the books.
    Had some very cool locations. I wonder why I never finished the series.

3. Tonka

Now I rememebr. I never cared for any of the characters. That’s it.

4. No_PUDding

Never read the books, know nothign about it, and I don’t like MMO’s but I love the screen and the concept…

Which is weird for me!

5. Gamoc

“unwitting humans who don’t know that what they’re experiencing isn’t real.”

Can someone say Matrix?

6. Esha

@Gamoc

I’m not so sure. In the Matrix, humanity was primarily comprised of dolts whom I believe were generally unable handle the concept of self-awareness, when one of them occasionally did latch on they h4x3d teh system.

Whereas in Otherland, the people log in of their own accord (not forced in), but they’re tinkered with so they end up stuck there and they’re altered from that point so they don’t really care. If anything, I’d say it’s closer to dotHack.

If I understand Otherland correctly, without another’s hand in the matter, those trapped within Otherland routines wouldn’t actually be able to free themselves, it’d take someone else to break their chains.

@Otherland

This intrigues me, and I really hope it’s going to follow the path of user-created content. This is an exciting era of gaming, for those who enjoy such things. I had a grand old time in Spore, and I’m sure that LittleBigPlanet is going to be a wonder-filled experience too. Sure, there’ll always be people crafting eNaughties (tm?) but for the incredible amounts of creativity brought in by those in the community who genuinely do want to make something of it, well… that makes it all worthwhile.

7. prodygee

Wow, this.. Search for the anime ‘Real Drive’ the plot is exACTly the same.