DLC may affect Fallout 3 platform buying decisions, admits Bethesda

Wednesday, 1st October 2008 18:05 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fallout314.jpg

Bethesda’s Peter Hines has admitted that people looking for the complete Fallout 3 experience may want to think about DLC before they choose which platform to play the game on.

“If you really sort of deadlocked and you’ve got to have your reasons to make a decision between one platform or the other, then yeah, DLC may be one that may push you towards one platform,” he told MTV.

The action RPG’s to release on PC, PS3 and 360 in the coming weeks, but only 360 and PC versions are going to be party to extra content in the future.

More through the link.

1. Robo_1

Why gimp the PS3 version though? They’ve clearly built everything to run on PS3, so unless MS has handed them a big bag of cash for this, I don’t see the point. It’s put me off getting the game anyway, although I’d be lying if I said I was intent on buying it anyway.

2. Psychotext

“so unless MS has handed them a big bag of cash for this”

Basically.

3. Robo_1

:D

4. No_PUDding

They really have got endless pockets!

5. Rudolph

I’m sure you meant affect instead of effect right? :)

6. patlike

Potentially.

7. Johnny Cullen

If they hadn’t announced the DLC deal for the 360 and GFW, I would still be in limbo over which platform to get it on.

But considering there is no trophies for the PS3 verison (for now), I’d think I swayed towards the 360 side.

Either way, it’s gonna be awesome.

BTW, does anybody know who’s publishing Fallout 3? Is it Ubisoft? Because they were the ones who published Oblviion for Bethesda.

8. Esha

There’s another factor to consider.

Who remembers Oblivion and the rather silly prices they charged for DLC then? Hands up! It’d be naive to think they’d step back from those prices, they’re probably looking at a higher price-point for their Fallout 3 DLC.

On the other hand, there’s a large amount of fairness on the PSN. Look at DLC for games like Pain and such, and indeed, look at even the full games on there like Fatal Inertia and Wipeout HD. There’s a surprising amount of fairness in the prices, and I am beginning to wonder if Sony is regulating those prices. Are they, does anyone know?

If that’s the case, it might be that companies like Bethsoft are approaching Sony with that lolmoneypumps attitude that they’ve hit us with before (Oblivion) and Sony is just telling them that that’s not going to happen.

Well, I can hope… can’t I?

Otherwise, it’s probably Microsoft handing them a big bag of money. But I doubt even MS could hand every damned developer out there a big bag of money. …could they?

9. Faethor

Actually, if you read back regarding Oblivion and it’s PS3 DLC issues, I believe thats the case here.
    The PS3 didn’t get all of the DLC that the 360 received due to the split memory 256/256 the PS3 has, they had problems fitting all the content inside the 256mb memory. Not meaning to start a flame war, but thats what happened.
    As Fallout 3 is based on the same engine and is even more resource hungry, I imagine they don’t even want to deal with that situation again.
    Google “ps3 oblivion DLC memory” if curious

10. probertgoon

YE HAW!!!!!

11. Esha

@Faethor

I actually did look into it, and what I found was funny.

Okay, bear with me a moment…

First thing to consider: Many games for the PS3 already have DLC, some have new content being added weekly. Burnout Paradise has recently had some nice Bike-based DLC added and that worked out fine.

The Bethesda claim: The PS3 has a division within its available memory, 256 to system, 256 to graphics. This division makes DLC OMGimpossible because of um… RAM overloads or something. The X-Box has less overall RAM but because it doesn’t have that division, uh… content that’s actually streamed off the machine’s hard drive works better. We can’t tell you why, it’s a secret. Shhhutup!

If that were true, then how would Oblivion work at all? I’m familiar with the PS3′s specifications and I’ve done my time in Bethesda’s modding community. I’ve experienced Bethesda Bull-fests before (PC Oblivion modders will know precisely what I’m talking about here) and this strikes me as Yet Another Steaming Pile of Hokey.

If they were so convinced of their convictions, they would’ve gotten more technical with their findings somewhere. But they haven’t. So all I can see are cheap excuses making up for the real reason which they haven’t seen fit to reveal to us yet (my favourite theory is still that Sony refused to let them diddle their customers).

It’s just… silly. I’m sorry but Bethesda’s reasoning for this is silly. There’s just too much evidence to the contrary with games that handle DLC perfectly on the PS3 regardless.

Oh well, PS3 gamers aren’t the only one up against a Bethesda wall of bull either. PC users are too as Bethesda are trying to crank out excuses as to why Fallout 3 won’t have a modding SDK available for it (obvious reason: it’s less easy for them to diddle when modders provide it for free).

I had respect for Bethesda once, but these days they’re just billiouis dialectics whom I have a hard time taking seriously.