Games entering “fertile,” expression-driven phase, says Media Molecule

Thursday, 25th September 2008 07:25 GMT By Patrick Garratt

LittleBigPlanet art boss Kareem Ettouney has told VentureBeat that the days of cock-waving graphics-mongers are done and dusted. The here and now is all about the expression, man.

“I think all of the game industry has done an incredible job of using the technology they have available. But for the last 10 to 15 years everything was graphics-driven. You heard about how many polygons were on the screen at once or how a car can crash and take damage with realistic physics,” he said.

“After this period, we’ve entered into a period that is about expression. It’s about expression and content and not about the capabilities of the consoles. We are moving into a territory that’s much more fertile.”

He added that user-generated content was something to be feared by developers, but embraced.

“I believe the game development community will learn and evolve and respond and react to the phenomenon of user-generated content,” he said. “Allowing gamers to express themselves will only enrich the experience.”

More through the link.

1. David

I think he’s talking to himself have you see 90% of user generated content. Bollocks doesn’t sum it up.

2. patlike

I’m going to do a VG247 level. I played a “GAF test” level yesterday.

3. pjmaybe

Once the 5-star rating gets included it’ll help a lot with sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

I don’t get why people are surprised the thing’s full of crap. A) it’s open to a lot of people B) the thing’s been out for a relatively short period of time and C) to get great results from it takes a lot of time, and not everyone’s got the luxury of sitting around on their arse all day playing games.

Best bet is to find people who use the heart and ratings stuff properly, buddy ‘em up and go see what they’ve been playing. You avoid a lot of the shite that way, and you’ll also find a lot of really good stuff that’ll make you green with envy that your level creation skills suck.

If anyone wants to see my shite (once I get round to it) chuck a friend invite out to pjmaybeaatg and likewise send me your friends codes ta.

4. pjmaybe

One thing I’ve noticed – a distinct lack of rude stuff. Now with Spore you saw rude content more or less hours after the creature creator hit the net.

In LBP I’ve seen precisely…none. And I’ve gone through a lot of user created stuff.

It’s almost like it’d be RUDE to be rude…so people aren’t being rude.

Cool that, the exact opposite of what I thought would happen but naturally someone out there is probably working on a huge dick-shaped level that mechanically shunts in and out of a giant fanny.

5. Psychotext

I hope so pj… I really do. :D

6. Truk

Stephen told us we weren’t allowed to be rude. Who would want to annoy him?