Microsoft announces massive “Live your Moment” casual campaign

Wednesday, 24th September 2008 12:07 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Microsoft’s announced the largest ad campaign in Xbox’s history this morning. Titled “Live your Moment,” it’s aimed at the “the casual and social segments,” according to a press release.

The ads will appear on TV, billboards, in print and everywhere else you can buy space, and is apparently about “real people having emotional and connected Xbox gaming and entertainment experiences with their friends and family.”

The campaign kicks off in Europe this week, and is already running in the US. Watch one of the TV spots here.

1. Quiiick

Brain Surgery?
    Wow, now this is extremely stupid advertising.

Compared to this, every PS3-ad ever made is a masterpiece.

2. Psychotext

I’d say they’re about the same as the PS3 ads. Shit, all of them.

That said, at least there’s no poodle in this one. :D

3. pjmaybe

No one ever in the history of gaming EVAH seems to be able to put a decent telly ad out. ‘Cept ironically Rockstar, who really don’t need to advertise GTA.

4. Psychotext

Not entirely true pj. The two best ever gaming ads were the PS9 ad from Sony and the shootout ad from MS.

5. Quiiick

The shootout ad (from the cradle to the grave) for Xbox1 was bollocks.
    It even got banned, … and rightly so.

And some PS2 ads (“fun anyone?”) were really fantastic!
    Remember the human pyramid?

6. Blerk

I saw the MS shootout ad for the first time last week – it’s really brilliant. And they canned it without ever showing it to the public.

/facepalm

Anyway, talking of weird MS ads, the missus brought home some womens’ “celebrity” magazine from work the other day and it had a full page ‘adver-feature’ for Viva Piñata 2 in it, complete with ‘laughing girls on a sofa’ imagery. And lots of ‘EXCLUSIVELY ON XBOX360′ tag-lines. I lolled. :-D

7. Psychotext

Ummm… Quiiick, the cradle to the grave ad is not the shootout ad.

This is the shootout ad: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuRQmvykwk

8. morriss

I like the way Quiiick likes nothing, and I mean ‘nothing’ to do with Xbox. Nothing at all.

9. Quiiick

… what’s the fun in having your brain replaced with a concert stage?

10. No_PUDding

Psychotext, it WAS great advertisisng though, the cradle to grave and shootout.

MS usually have much better stuff. This is just….

It doesn’t even make me wonder, I know what it’s trying to say, but it’s boring and the woman isn’t hot, she just looks annoying.

11. Quiiick

@ morris
    You’re right, but I do own an Xbox and an Xbox 360! ;)
    And I do love a lot of games on my 360, but nothing there from Microsoft!

12. Blerk

I remember two good Playstation ads – the one with the creepy “I’ve conquerered worlds” Scottish kid, and last year’s US Christmas campaign for the PS3 with the actual game footage and the big amorphous black… thingy.

13. Tonka

I always thought they made the shoot out ad for the internet from the get go.

My gut reaction to this new one is that it is tasteless and slightly disturbing. I don’t like how at first it seems as if she has blown her head off.

Buuut… I’m sure this has been scrutinized by all sorts of experts so I’ll just shut my mouth.

14. Quiiick

@ Psychotext
    oops … sorry. messed this up. (my bad english).

But this “shootout” ad is ever worse!!!
    What did they think of when creating that? Colombine High? :(

15. Psychotext

Shootout ad is fucking brilliant. You never played cops n robbers when you were a kid? I guess not.

16. Axle

I thought the Gears 1 advertising was pretty sweet.

17. Quiiick

@ Black
    yeah, I also liked this “big amorphous black… thingy” a lot.
    It was a very intriguing way to actually incude the games in an ad.
    But over all I prefer if platform-holders do NOT refer to games specifically in their ads but instead try the create an general sense of “image” or “style”.

18. Quiiick

@ Yes the “Mad World” ad for GEoW was fantastic.
    But that’s not an “Xbox”-advertising.
    I still watch it from time to time … it’s THAT good.

19. pjmaybe

The Gears 1 ad was alright. Bit of high res render bollocks though – which is what a lot of game companies seem to think will sucker the punters enough to sell games (course, it works – otherwise they wouldn’t still be doing it now).

Most memorable ad for gaming was memorable for all the wrong reasons. That fucking weird scots woman advertising the original playstation – that piercing laugh of hers still rips straight through me to this day.

20. Blerk

I thought the Mad World Gears ad was terrible. Pompous, over-thought-out tripe. So there. :-D

21. Axle

Glad we’ve got consensus here then. . . .

On the subject does anyone remember the SNES ‘Concentrate on the Screen’ ad? It convinced me to blow the last of my savings – and I STILL haven’t completed Smash TV – ‘Not Enough Keys’.

22. Quiiick

@ Tonka
    Quote: “My gut reaction to this new one is that it is tasteless and slightly disturbing.”
    That’s exactly what I felt when watching this ad, but I didn’t have the words for it. Thanks!

23. morriss

Why is it so bad? I’m not saying it was great but I don’t see much wrong with it.

24. Quiiick

@ Blerk
    I see it from a creators standpoint. Combining this kind of game-genre with that 80′s song from “Tears for Fears”: Brilliant! This was a real break-trough in games-advertising. Comparable to “Space Odyssey 2001″ from Stanley Kubrick where he first mixed the SciFi-genre with classic music.

25. pjmaybe

It unimaginatively spliced together non-game high quality footage with a ‘tune-of-the-moment’ soundtrack.

It was nice, but it hardly had a lot of work poured into it.

Best gaming ad ever is the one of Candy sitting on the toilet reading poetry for the PS3 ‘this is living’ stuff. I could watch that all day.

26. Quiiick

@ morriss
    Don’t get me wrong. It’s not that bad. But it’s far away from being brilliant.
    I was just hoping for more, that’s all …

27. Quiiick

@ pjmaybe
    You’re right, “it hardly had a lot of work poured into it”.
    But is this a measurement for quality???

28. Whizzo

Microsoft really needs a new advertising agency.

29. pjmaybe

Cant really see how else they could’ve advertised it though. I’m struggling to think of any recent games that have actually featured in-game footage in the ads (apart from Wii stuff but WiiLOL)

30. Truk

Double Life ad was awesome.

31. Shatner

Morriss:

Oh, you know how it is morriss, some people simply can’t allow themselves to say anything positive about anything related to a certain console. Wherever you look, there they are making some negative sleight against BOX A in favour of BOX B.

Thank heavens for the clear, truthful and unbiased media!

32. Tonka

I didn’t like the image of a stage inside some ones hollowed out skull. I honestly thought she had had her brains blown out when the camera panned around.

Now, i’m not going to fall in the “I know better than the persons responsible for this ad” trap. But if I was asked in a focus group what I thought of this ad “Tasteless and disturbing” would be the words I used.

33. morriss

I’ve got a piece of paper which reads: that post I just made would draw Shatner out.

I should be on TV.

34. Shatner

morriss, shitty posts from mindless biased morons usually draw me out. Don’t flatter yourself, you’re not that special.

35. No_PUDding

Just to go back I am with Blerk on the MAd World Gears ad… But that’s what sold it if you ask me.

It advertised itself as if there were some depth to it.

And it was actually Microsoft who advertised it. And they do do GREAt advertisisng.

36. Quiiick

@ Shatner
    Thanks for bringing up the “fanboy”-argument! ;)
    … you couldn’t be farther away from the truth. But I won’t try to destroy your black&white-world where there’s only the coziness of “yes or no”.

37. Shatner

Quiiick,

Don’t take things on the internet so personally. And consider that I was replying to morriss, not you.

In your leap to suggest my understanding of a situation is over-simplified I’m afraid to say you’ve made an oversimplification of your own.

38. morriss

I’m special me. My mum told me so.

39. reask

Ad could be better but in all fairness there marketing strategy worked in Japan.

I see no reason it wont work in Europe especially with the price tag.

40. Quiiick

@ reask
    Sure, I’m positiv that this kind of ads will “work”.
    But if this is the only argument that counts, we’re taking about a very sad world.

The ad is lacking intellectual and artistic qualities.
    Is this something which should not be talked about?

And is it ok for an ad to be tasteless and slightly disturbing, if it sells well?

41. Psychotext

Actually… the ad is very artistic, but that’s part of the problem. I’m not sure how you’re finding this disturbing unless you’re a little unhinged to start with. :)

42. Tonka

You!

43. reask

@quick
    Not trying to be funny but it’s an ad for goodness sake.

Since when where ads meant to be intellectual.

44. Quiiick

@ reask
    Hmm, maybe “intellectual” is the wrong word. How about “intelligent”?
    Would that make more sense to you?

45. reask

@ quiiick

Either, as I said it’s an ad.

I did say it could be better but it is for a games console after all.

So I reckon the brain thing is all about the game been inside your head.

Just my take on it.

Still better than the ps3 one I saw on the site yesterday now wtf was that one about.

46. Quiiick

quite funny how different perception is …

I found the latest Sony print-ad (Russian babushka-dolls) interesting because there was something mysterious about it.
    But it wasn’t exactly brilliant either.

The new Xbox tv-ad on the other hand doesn’t touch me at all besides of “slightly disturbing”.
    Saying “the game is inside you head” is like saying the coffee is black or the sky is blue. just another boring statement IMHO.

47. mortiferus

C’mon People the best ads ever were Sega’s “Genesis does what Nintendon’t” campaign.

It even had a bizzare yet catchy tune on the TV spots, LOL, Nuff Said!

48. Tonka

A massive casual campaign eh? Doesn’t sound to casual to me.