Yerli: “The next graphics breakthrough will come in 2011/12″

Tuesday, 23rd September 2008 08:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Speaking to Gamespot, Crytek boss Cevat Yerli’s predicted that the next console round will bring a graphical “renaissance”.

“The next graphics breakthrough will come in 2011/12, especially because it will be linked to next-generation consoles,” said the exec.

“I think the PlayStation 4, or the Xbox 720, and the PC generation that equals that will see a renaissance kicking in that will allow us to effectively deliver visuals that will rival offline CGI productions right now. With that, you’ll see a variety of visual styles and identities, as well as techniques used to make more creative images than we have seen today.”

More through there.

1. Eregol

I must admit, I have looked at a few games and thought ‘This could look so much better.’
    When you’ve just finished playing MGS4, GoW or Crysis, then you play something that looks like crap it hits you that there are improvements that can be made.
    But, do we really need this new graphics breakthrough?

I’m quite happy with my current lot, yes my pc could do with a new graphics card, but not to make things look better, just to make today’s games run smoother.

As for my PS3, just give me a new bigger hard drive and I’m happy. I’m not ready for new consoles in 3 years time.

2. Quiiick

@ Eregol
    As soon as you played one of those games with next-gen graphics you don’t want to go back to what we have now. That’s the way it always goes …

3. thuko

you will be *made* ready by clever marketing when the time comes.

4. David

better graphics = more time a game is in development = more money they have to spend on development costs. Only a small percentage of developers can keep up with that.

I believe the breakthrough needs to come from the development side someone or a team need to make the process of making games a lot easier. Until development becomes easier, the time and cost of making games will keep the visuals as they are now. For consoles at least anyway.

5. Quiiick

@ David
    There will be a massive consolidation in the games-industry and this will solve the cost problem of creating games to some extent.
    I also believe the number of engines for AAA-games will be reduced to very few in the near future.