Heavy Rain – GC level is “not part of the main plot”

Monday, 22nd September 2008 08:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

heavyrain51.jpg

Speaking in a Games Convention presentation, Quantic Dream boss David Cage confirmed that the Heavy Rain scenario shown at the event – with a journalist being chased through a house by a taxidermist murderer – hasn’t got anything to do with the thriller’s main story arc.

“It’s really a bonus scene,” said Cage. “It’s not part of the main plot.”

The level showed a woman investigating a series of appearances by breaking into a house and finding a room upstairs full of dead, stuffed ladies. Normal, average day.

Cage said the scene is likely to be included on the title’s retail version, however.

“It will probably be on the game [disc], yeah,” he added. “As a bonus scene.”

Heavy Rain’s been pegged by SCEE president David Reeves as PS3’s “most important title for next year”, and certainly did a good job of knocking out the crowds in Germany last month.

No date, though.

1. Tonka

I’m sure I read about this when the demo was held.

2. patlike

Likely, yeah. I was just sifting through my tapes and couldn’t find anything when I searched. It may well have been in a preview at the time.

3. Blerk

Yeah, he definitely said this at the time. He also said that the demo would be an ‘extra’ scene and not part of the main game either. Neat idea!

4. morriss

This game is months and months away. :(

5. Blerk

Knowing QD, it’ll still be years away. Fahrenheit was something ridiculous like 2 years late or something.

6. morriss

cheers, Blerk. :(

7. No_PUDding

Why do you want this piece of crap?

I want Yakuza 3 if I want to have a Shenmue-esque game.

8. Tonka

Because it isn’t Shenmue-esque. By the sound of it this might be something quite new.

9. Quiiick

@ No_PUDding
    Already calling Heavy Rain a “piece of crap” is ridiculously premature!
    It may well be a “not so stellar” game after all, but we just don’t know yet!
    Just because this game is being hyped by the audience right now doesn’t mean you’re obliged to bash it.

10. No_PUDding

Ofcourse it does!!

Seriously, this game is insanely overhyped for such an unproven formula. Sure it’s fresh and I am not even an “instant gratification” gamer, but David Cage is clueless. Especially because he recognises the media moving forward will not be through cinematic experiments.

Narrative based gameplay is not necessary, why do we need to follow narrative again? Like we did with Books and Movies.

We need to explore what gaming can give us individually and for that and all the praise it’s receiving hear me bash it really loudly.

11. Blerk

My initial disappointment in them following the QTE model again has kinda gone now, I think it was sort of a knee-jerk reaction. All the stuff I’ve read about it consequently has sounded pretty interesting. It might work, it might not. At least it’s trying something different, and for that they should be applauded.

12. No_PUDding

I kind of disagree with that now.

It’s not like games are that new, and a few elements in games are pretty simple to develop.

Why are we focusing on narrative?

I am cross becuase although no one is goign to compy it, it could infleunce other developers to focus more heavily on their narrative.

And that’s NOT what I personally want from games. I want developers to be focusing on interactivity. So things that you can call a narrative happen naturally.

13. Tonka

I liked the opening café level in Farenhiet a lot. After that it had some very very weak sections and I finally stopped playing during the ham fisted sneak section.

Heavy Rain sounds like it will focus solely on café section style gameplay. So I’m interested. Not that I will buy a PS3 to play it but still. They might want to earn some cash and go multiformat…

14. No_PUDding

Sony aren’t that desperate.

15. Blerk

I doubt they could go multiplatform with this one, given that Sony’s basically funded the entire development.

16. Quiiick

@ No_PUDding
    Quote: Why are we focusing on narrative?
    Because it’s the most interesting part of all, by far !!!

If I only wanted good “gameplay”, I’d go outside and play soccer or boule or pingpong or any other sport for that matter and not VGs.

Skill-based and/or competitive “electronic gaming” is completely worthless as far as I’m concerned. It’s all about a good narrative and an emotionally strong environment.

17. Gekidami

Sony own the IP.

Game looks interesting, Fahrenheit was good and had a decent mix of narrative and investigation so i can only imagine Heavy Rain will to, ofcourse if you dont like that type of thing then dont play it, fact is its the games gendre, you dont look into a raceing game and complain about a lack of shooting…

18. Panipal2005

How quickly will Sony/Quantic Dream put this on PSN?

Since it’s not part of the game story, there’s no reason why they couldn’t throw it up Thursday, so, why don’t they?

(Short answer. Stupid, stupid Sony.)

19. Quiiick

@ Panipal2005
    Good idea!
    Since the section they showed in Leipzig is not really part of the final game, they should release it on PSN now.