New Saints Row 2 movie shows acting, quality

Wednesday, 17th September 2008 12:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

saintsrow214.jpg

Want it. Please don’t be shit. There’s a video after the break of Saints Row 2′s actors talking about their VO roles on the game, and as far as we’re concerned this is starting to shape up to be a real contender. There’s nothing else like this in the final quarter and the humour, top hole cast, full-game co-op and absolute nonsense are all adding up to a potential winner.

Off the record word says it’s fantastic to play, so keep those eyes open. Game’s out on October 17 for PC, PS3 and 360.

1. Blerk

Opportunity to use picture of Eliza Dushku passed over. PAT AM FAIL!

2. patlike

I’ve lost the edge. Like Cougar. I’M HOLDING ON TOO TIGHT.

3. Axle

It’s the guy from 24 and Lost!!!!!! It’s Worf!!!!

To be fair this looks good – it has that GTA:SA feel about it, which could mean that it’s a lot of fun.

The question is, will it play as well as it looks/sounds?

4. Rhythm

The first was *awful* so I can’t say I’m holding out much hope for this.

5. dEM0NSVK

Really famous actors out there in VO (Prison Break, Lost, Harold and Kumar) … cool :)

6. Egon Superb

TBH, I preferred the original to GTAIV – greater sense of fun, humour, didn’t take itself all that seriously. Buggy as hell though…

7. pjmaybe

You won’t be the last person to say so. I can well imagine that the GTA IV backlash will go into overdrive around the release of Saints Row 2 (in fact it’s already started).

I do want this though, mainly because it all looks like it doesn’t take itself so fucking seriously this time around. Some of the stuff you can do in the game looks absolutely insane but a lot of fun.

8. GordonR

I think it’s to the best that the two franchises seem to have diverged in style. GTA IV went for grimmer and grittier, while SR2 just seems to be diving headlong into full-on OTT bonkers – further exaggerating everything that made the GTA games successful int he first place.

I’m betting there won’t be any missions in saints Row 2 where you go bowling with your mate or take a date out for dinner. Fuck me, but did that get boring REALLY quickly…

9. DiodeX

I loved the first one, bugs ‘un all!. After GTA IV (which I enjoyed for the most part) I can’t wait for this, I love the more comedy style of it.

10. Axle

I can’t really understand the so called ‘GTA IV’ backlash, I think that gamers are so critical as to be unrealistic sometimes.

I suppose that’s the crux of a piece of art though – that it will always divide opinions, at least Rockstar are brave enough to try something new for the franchise – even if SR2 does look like fun.

@Dioodex/Egon Is the first one REALLY worth playing that much? I didn’t check it because it seemed to self-conciously urban and street.

11. pjmaybe

Never bothered with the “friends networking” shit in GTA IV. It wasn’t really needed – and it didn’t stop me completing the game.

That said, Saints Row 2 looks like it’s taking a more comedic approach.

People seem to have forgotten a lot of the horrible crap in the first game though, like the rubbish vehicle handling and physics, and the strange ‘up in the air’ feeling you got when you couldn’t earn enough bling to do the next mission. But gamers are fickle fuckers (and I do speak for myself here too) always looking on to the next big shiny thing to divert their attention. Looks like THQ might’ve played a blinder by keeping SR2 back long enough to coast in on all that anti GTA stuff. Well played them.