Epilepsy tests are “subjective,” says WipEout dev

Wednesday, 17th September 2008 14:53 GMT By Patrick Garratt

wipeouthd7.jpg

Speaking to EG, WipEout HD director Tony Buckley has expressed frustration at the game failing a routine epilepsy test.

Not passing resulted in the racer being delayed.

“[It was] frustrating more than anything, because it’s quite subjective the whole test,” he said.

“But we certainly weren’t going to take it lightly. We had to think long and hard about how we approached it, because there were ways and means of doing it, but in the end we managed to actually solve any issues without any detriment to the game.

“That was our worry, that the game would suddenly look poorer as a result of it, but no, it’s all gone really well.”

More through there.

1. pjmaybe

Still not exactly sure how Wipeout failed the test yet quite a few other games (like MK Wii) passed.

2. ecu

Did you see the video of what they had to change? I can completely see why it failed. I posted it in the EG thread if you fancy a gander.

3. Blerk

Link for the lazy, please! :-)

4. ecu

Bah! Here you go –

5. Rhythm

Can’t see why it failed and can’t se much of a difference between the two modes.

Anyway, if it’s true that it was just Zone mode that was affected, wouldn’t it have been easier to leave that mode out then re-insert it as DLC at a later date?

6. Blerk

Man, that guy plays Wipeout like I do! Smashing from wall to wall like a pinball. :-D

7. ecu

It depends how sensitive you are to synaesthasia. I can notice a fair difference between the two, mostly in my peripheral vision. The screen seems to be pulsing more in the preview, but it’s a bit more still in the final build. It still looks great though.

8. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

It was me who (unintentionally) let the cat out of the bag on this on Kotaku.

I never thought that they were going to come out and admit that failing the test was true though!

Ha ha! Proof! After all the ‘It’s not true’ accusations.

I’ll be on Kotaku with a great big I told you so! as soon as they post this story…

9. pjmaybe

Blerk: Perhaps they should make a turn-based version just for you :)

10. Robo_1

Man, that is quite a difference. They’ve stripped away so much of the detail, the final build looks bland in comparison. What a shame :(